Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dog off form

• 25-06-2016 7:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭

Just looking for people's thoughts on my situation. 9/10 year old collie has been not himself for the last couple of weeks. He's eating fine and will play with his ball but not as long as usual. He doesn't seem to be drinking much and is urinating alot less, when he eventually goes it's very concentrated. He's eating fine, and, still robbing food! He's not as spritly as he used to be.
    Just wondering am I bring paranoid or should I be concerned. Wondering is it age related, is he considered an old dog?
    Any advice would be so appreciated
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

You know your dog, go with your gut instinct. I don't think you're being paranoid at all, if he was my dog I would be bringing him to the vet.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I would get him to the vet - for peace of mind. Hopefully it's something minor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭irishlady29

Yes thinking the same. Have app for other dog on Monday so will bring him with me then for peace of mind.
    Is 9/10 considered old for a collie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Yes thinking the same. Have app for other dog on Monday so will bring him with me then for peace of mind.

Usually the larger the dog, the lower the lifespan. I wouldn't say it's "old" for a collie, but you certainly have a senior dog.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I'm afraid 8+ is categorised as "geriatric" for dogs op :o
    It is recommended to get a minimum of annual blood tests from that age onwards. As they get older, 2 blood tests annually are a good idea. It's so important to pick up on things before they become a problem.
    Any sudden change in behaviour or patterns should be investigated op, so like everyone else, I'd be making an appointment with the vet... Do let them know you're bringing your collie on Monday so that they can factor that in to their schedule.
    Good luck op, hopefully it's something minor :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Dogs age. And like ourselves health problems can occur with age. I wouldn't say 9 or 10 is old in the sense that the dog should hopefully have a few years healthy living ahead.

(It also makes me sad that their beautiful lives are considerably shorter than ours. Some measure dog years by multiplying by 7 human years. I have got to the age where I can measure my life in collie years my first passed at 13 - the next at 14 and the most recent at 15 - )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭irishlady29

Update: visit to the vet. Bloods done weight and joints etc checked. Results back were good so no explanation given. Since vet visit dog has improved greatly. Back in good form and interested in playing with balls/toys. Even back robbing food!
    Was great to get peace of mind from vet but strange how there's no explanation for him being off form

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

He could have had a bit of a pain issue which has passed now, hence him being less active and lazier about going to the toilet etc.
    Tbh vets dont always pick up on pain issues, and dogs dont always show pain responses at the vets, because they get anxious and adrenaline floods their system. A rush of adrenaline/high anxiety, will of course often mask pain.
    Personally Ive experienced vets miissing back pain in 2 of my dogs over the years. Great he's back to himself now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Angel2016

VonVix wrote: »
    Usually the larger the dog, the lower the lifespan. I wouldn't say it's "old" for a collie, but you certainly have a senior dog.

I have a retriever collie cross who is 16 this year so it really depends on how well they are looked after for their life span I think now my old girl has a grey beard and breaths a little heavy but is very healthy we had her at the vets two weeks ago as we were worried about her and after many tests and x-rays we were told she was too fat ! lol..

Advertisement