Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eir Fibre Checker

Options
  • 25-06-2016 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭

We recently got a landline in our house as we wanted to get fibre or broadband. After installing it eir done a line check and told us that fibre is not available. When we put our phone number in the line checker website it says sorry not able to determine, however if I put our address in it says we are in an advanced broadband area and can get a maximum of 10mbps which we would be more than happy to get if someone would take the order, but we are simply told not available when we call?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭eir: Stacey

Hi kevinmcc. Thanks for getting in touch. I'm sorry to hear this. Please feel free to PM your account number & I can test your line from here. Stacey

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭kevinmcc

Details sent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Eir: Pamela

kevinmcc wrote: »
    Details sent
    Thanks kevinmcc,

-Pamela 

eir, I am completely appalled at the lack of service. When we had our line installed we were informed by the guy that we are 2.1km from the exchange so may not be able to get fibre as it is usually a limit of 2km, therefore we may only get broadband but in any case a technician would need to check. The exchange we are connected to (Culdaff) is showing as active on the openeir website. Our actual address on the eir website is saying we are in an advanced broadband area and can get up to 10mb.

Now stacey is telling me that she has checked with wholesale who has said that our exchange is not broadband enabled. This is despite me giving various phone numbers which show as connected to fibre when you enter them in your system. You have advised me that openeir will update the website to remove Culdaff as being fibre enabled. I have never heard so many lies in all my life. I know of plenty of people who have broadband from this exchange. I will be making a complaint to the CEO's office and Comreg by close of business today if you cannot get your act together.

I provided all the information to you and this is the stupid response you give???

Hi Stacey,
    Please see below screenshots confirming:
    a) Culdaff exchange is broadband enabled as per openeir website. The actual eir website is not updated.
    b) That my address is showing as being in an advanced broadband area.
    Kindly can you investigate as i'm afraid your wholesale team did not give you the correct information.

Hi Kevin. Thanks you for your patience on this. Our wholesale team have come back to me on this. They doubled checked your line & advised that you are on an exchange that is not DSL capable I’m afraid. I do apologise for this inconvenience. They have escalated for the Open eir map to be updated also. Apologies again I can’t offer better news. Stacey

Hi Stacey. I'm sorry but this is absolute crap from your wholesale department. We had someone come out install the line who told us at the time that as we were 2.1km from the exchange we may not be able to get fibre as usually the limit is 2km however we should get broadband. In any case they said an engineer would need to come out to check.

I can give you several telephone numbers connected to the same exchange as us, who are able to get fibre, never mind broadband for example 074-9379XXX, 074-9379XXX and 074-9379XXX (this one is located just down the road from us and is connected to the same exchange and can get e-fibre). One of the first two I believe is already connected to e-fibre and is also connected to the same exchange as our number.

I would appreciate if you could check with the local engineer and revert back as clearly your wholesale team is not fit to do their job.

I'm very sorry you feel this way Kevin. I can appreciate your frustration completely. I'm afraid I would be unable to pass another customer details on in relation to this. They have double-checked this & unfortunately this is the resolution. We would be unable to arrange a technician call out as you are not testing for broadband on the system. I do apologise I can't offer you better news or assist you any further on this. Stacey

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭eir: Stacey

Hi Kevin, I have responded to your PM in relation to this. -Stacey

Stacey i'm not sure why you won't post your unhelpful responses here:

I can understand your frustration with this Kevin however I can only provide you with the current Broadband/Efibre deployment information available to me at the minute. I requested our wholesale department to re-check this for you & they have unfortunately confirmed you are connected to an exchange that is not DSL capable. Each line is individual & I’m afraid broadband is not a guaranteed service. I'm sure you understand that we must follow data protection laws in order to protect our customers, due to this I am unable to discuss this information with you. I am sorry you were provided with the incorrect information however the technicians are issued via an outsourced company & I wouldn’t have access to his information to get in touch I’m afraid. If you want to query this further you can contact KN directly if you like. I have also spoken with my manager on this & I’m afraid as I have provided you with all the information available to myself here we would be unable to escalate this any further. I’m sorry I can’t assist you further on this or offer better news. - Stacey

You are telling me i'm not connected to an exchange that is fibre enabled. There is only one exchange in the area.

a) Can you confirm that I am connected to Culdaff exchange?

b) In which case without breaking any data protection laws, I am able to bring up on the eir phonebook website neighbours in my area and put their phone number into the eir website and get a positive response that they are enabled for fibre. I do not see how this is breaking data protection?

c) Can you also confirm why it says on openeir website why Culdaff exchange is enabled with 370 premises able to access?

d) As it is Eir who is providing the outsourced company it would be up to you to contact KN and conduct an investigation (do KN also incorrectly update your website to say the Culdaff exchange is enabled when it's not? Are all the people in Culdaff lying when they say they are connected to fibre? Is your website incorrectly telling me that those other people connected to the Culdaff exchange have access to fibre?)

Hi Stacey,

Would appreciate an update in relation to my above questions?

Also if the exchange is not enabled, then why have you further updated also the eir efibre map which as of today now also shows the exchange as available now? Seems like not only your subcontractor KN giving the incorrect information?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭eir: Ciara

Hi Stacey,

Also if the exchange is not enabled, then why have you further updated also the eir efibre map which as of today now also shows the exchange as available now? Seems like not only your subcontractor KN giving the incorrect information?
    Hi Kevin,

Thank you for getting in touch. I am afraid we would be unable to provide that infomration from here. You will need to contact our technical support team directly from the best support on this. You can contact them on 1901 (option 2)

Kind Regards,
    Ciara

eir: Ciara wrote: »
    Hi Stacey,

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for getting in touch. I am afraid we would be unable to provide that infomration from here. You will need to contact our technical support team directly from the best support on this. You can contact them on 1901 (option 2)

Kind Regards,
    Ciara
    Ciara,

My questions require an investigation, not something which can be done over a quick phone call. In that case can you please either forward the above to your technical support team, or else provide me with an email address to contact them directly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

Ballinhassig exchange county Cork.
    Greetings reps. im doing well here tonight for a change, 1.7mbps on a 6-7mb line, more often its around 0.2-0.3mbps at this hour of the night, my query is in regards to E-Fiber.
    We were told that our exchange would be upgraded to fiber status in the first quarter of 2016, we are now in the third quarter, I am very disappointed but not in the least surprised.
    Can you give me an accurate indication as to when our exchange will be upgraded please.
    Thanks.....Charles

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

eir: Ciara wrote: »
    Hi Stacey,

Hi Kevin,

Kind Regards,
    Ciara
    Ciara,

My questions require an investigation, not something which can be done over a quick phone call. In that case can you please either forward the above to your technical support team, or else provide me with an email address to contact them directly?
    Hi Kevin,

What the reps are failing to explain is Culdaff is VDSL(eFibre) only, which is rare.

ADSL, Regular BB, Long range (up to 5.5-6KM)
    VDSL, New eFibre, Short range (1500m-2KM)

The technicians suggestion of 10Mbps would have been valid if the exchange had ADSL racks which is the norm so I'd assume he wasnt familiar with it (contractors cover large areas, gone are the days of local TE techs).

I'd put money on them not backfilling ADSL racks into such a setup, wouldnt pay for itself, so you should drop the line and wait for FTTH by 2020. 

If you want to look at alternatives we have a busy broadband forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JP17

Hi Kevinmcc, I am Culdaff as well and have just gone through the exact same excruciating experience. 4/5 months on from being told it was live and we could get it no problem, getting poles up, line in, countless technician appointments and phone calls with Eir and openeir to then be told last week that in actual fact the exchange isn't live - which we all know not to be true at all. On further discussion I am told that only one cabinet on the exchange is live and if you are not on it then you ain't getting anything for god knows how long. it has simply been the most appalling customer experience and in my eyes this has been completely missold. My frustration levels peaked last week and I cancelled the phone subscription and everything, not sure if trying again and asking specifically to be connected to that cabinet will work but may try it in a week or 2.

Advertisement