Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simple network: 2 computers (No connection)

• 25-06-2016 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm not sure if I'm posting in the correct forum so if not, apologies, feel free to move.

I'm wondering if anyone can please help me with this basic networking problem.

So here it is....
    I have 2 PCs. They both have windows xp home on them. They are fully functioning. All drivers are installed and everything works (I think)

Anyways, I wanted to create a simple network and direct connect them via ethernet cable. I connected the cable to the LAN port at the rear of computer 1. I connected the other end of the cable to the LAN port at the rear of computer 2....nothing...absolutely nothing.
    When I done this before using two laptops, after I connected the cable, a little light for the LAN port lit up on both laptops. Furthermore, the little LAN icon at the bottom right of the screen changed and showed a limited connection (I then setup the network and all was aok).
    But, in this case, nothing. No lights, the network icon at the bottom-right of the screen didnt change at all. I just got the bubble message on both computers "A network cable is disconnected...despite the fact it was connected.

I looked up various solutions online; One thing I read (and tried) was to change the connection/speed settings of the LAN port from "auto" to 100Mps/full duplex or 10Mbs/full duplex. When I changed the setting, the light on the LAN port came on. But still...the computer didnt recognize any connection. (The little icon didnt change at all)

Any ideas?

I have hit a brick wall with this one so any suggestion would be really appreciated. Thank you in advance.

DJT

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

You need a crossover cable. Wired slightly differently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭cml387

You need a crossover ethernet cable. A standard ethernet cable from a shop won't work in your configuration.

What's wrong is you're connecting the transmit of one pc to the transmit of the other pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭djt0607

Hi, thank you for your replies.

May I ask....why did it work with a similar ethernet cable with my two laptops.

I don't know if this will help...but the LAN port in the computers is built onto the motherboard.

Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

Most 'modern' computers support mdi-x which is effectively auto crossover. Have you tried a different cable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

• Advertisement
Advertisement