Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quick tax question

• 25-06-2016 10:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Folks,

So I bought a used car today and have it insured already. Unfortunately there was no tax on it, do I have to wait for the change of ownership form to come from Shannon before I can go about taxing it?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You have to wait till Shannon get it, you can track that on motortax.ie

Have you actually posted off the change of ownership yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

colm_mcm wrote: »
    You have to wait till Shannon get it, you can track that on motortax.ie

Have you actually posted off the change of ownership yet?

Thanks Colm. I just bought the car today so would hope/expect that the seller does that first thing on Monday.

It's a shame you have to wait so long after you've bought a car.

If you have the logbook,you can bring that into the tax office and tax it on the spot. They'll send off the change of ownership then,

If you have the logbook,you can bring that into the tax office and tax it on the spot. They'll send off the change of ownership then,

Unfortunately not, that's what I need him to post.

Well, unless he taxes it for you and drops it in, or gives you the cert back to you to do it, you may as well wait.
    You could ask him to tax it online and pay him as well, but arrears would be owed if applicable

• Advertisement

Well, unless he taxes it for you and drops it in, or gives you the cert back to you to do it, you may as well wait.
    You could ask him to tax it online and pay him as well, but arrears would be owed if applicable

Thanks Colm, I might just as well wait so. It'd be a bit cheeky to ask a complete stranger to pay 3 months online and trust that I'd pay him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Why are you so pushed to tax is so quick.

No one is going to make a big fuss of you driving untaxed.
    You'll just pay when you get a logbook so tax will be paid eventually.
    If you're stopped in the mean time, you'll explain to the guard that you just bought a vehicle and can't tax until Shannon registers change of ownership.

This is Ireland :)

Only think you need to watch out are traffic wardens, as they might fine you when parked in public place and you won't get a chance to explain circumstances.

I hear what you're saying CiniO but I'm one of those folks who perhaps naively follows the rules. I'm a stickler for rules, much to the annoyance of the missus.

Regardless, from what I understand that excuse doesn't really wash with the guards these days and they can/will prosecute you for not having the disc on display.

Thanks though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

You will need to present your original insurance cert to tax it for the first time.
    You'll also be got for tax from date of sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GSBellew

You will need to present your original insurance cert to tax it for the first time.
    You'll also be got for tax from date of sale.

I have never been asked to present an insurance cert to tax a car at first or
    any other taxation.

Are you thinking of commercial tax?

@ OP, can be taxed online once the log book has been issued.
    Keep checking on the motor tax website, vehicle transaction enquiry.
    Once it shows a change of ownership you can request a pin & tax it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

GSBellew wrote: »
    I have never been asked to present an insurance cert to tax a car at first or
    any other taxation.

Are you thinking of commercial tax?

@ OP, can be taxed online once the log book has been issued.
    Keep checking on the motor tax website, vehicle transaction enquiry.
    Once it shows a change of ownership you can request a pin & tax it.
    My bad.. you are correct

Advertisement