Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HELP , to buy this car or not? Unsure about NCT

• 26-06-2016 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Basically, there is a car. 04 Ford Fiesta 1.2L. Wants 1,450. Which seems perfect as it is my first car and im already doing my lessons to get my full license as soon as I can. Here is me hoping the next month or 2. Anyway, problem is, NCT has ended in May. Which is last month. The owner is saying it runs perfect, he just doesn't want 2 cars. Then again, anyone can say that. Long story short, is it worth taking the risk and buying it with the NCT just gone there or should I give it a pass?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Get a mechanic to have a look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 JustThisGuy

Cant really do that without buying the car, thats the problem..

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭dinky earnshaw

Why not? Just bring a mechanic with you when your buying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

Run a mile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Of course you can. It might cost you a few bob, but save you a fortune. Just tell the seller you'd like to have another look at the car. And bring along your mechanic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Frankly I wouldn't go near it. Lots of stuff out there with valid NCT on it. No need to take a gamble and cause yourself possible heartache.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP is the seller refusing to allow you bring a mechanic to check the car over before buying it? If so then they have something to hide and you should run away quickly. It might also explain why they are selling it with an expired NCT.

Great for first time buyer, as insurance and tax is almost nothing.

Can I have some of what he's on?

He is letting me bring a mechanic. I just don't have one that I can bring with me. Then again I can pay one, I will have a look into that. Maybe I should get the seller to put it through the NCT and i will pay for it.

It is overpriced at €1,450 anyway with no NCT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

I would be extremely cautious about someone saying that a car is "perfect" but won't spend the money or is reluctant to put it through an NCT.
    I wouldn't bother paying for a mechanic to look at it, I'd just walk away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If you don't know your way around cars then you need to have a mechanic check it over. Buying a car privately without having it checked over is both very risky and naive. Once you hand over your money and drive it away it becomes your problem and you have no comeback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Boater123

There are plenty of mechanics that offer a pre purchase inspection service. Google them.

Is it the silver one on donedeal in dublin? The one with 150k miles, Mayo reg? If it is think carefully, 12 year old car, 150k. If you can't bring a mechanic, then walk away.

If its not that one, then the next two 04's in Dublin are €2750 and €2800, both with less than 12 months NCT.

If I was the seller and the car was perfect I would put it through the test and with a fresh NCT try get an extra grand. Ask yourself why aren't they doing this if its perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Basically, there is a car. 04 Ford Fiesta 1.2L. Wants 1,450. Which seems perfect as it is my first car and im already doing my lessons to get my full license as soon as I can. Here is me hoping the next month or 2. Anyway, problem is, NCT has ended in May. Which is last month. The owner is saying it runs perfect, he just doesn't want 2 cars. Then again, anyone can say that. Long story short, is it worth taking the risk and buying it with the NCT just gone there or should I give it a pass?

Is this the car you are interested in?

DoneDeal 04 Ford Fiesta 1.2 LX 5 doors sunroof

If it is he has two other cars for sale, each with long NCT, which he points out in his ads.
    Why has this one no NCT?

Yes that is the car. I think I'll ask him to put it through the nct and I'll pay for the exam and what not before buying it. If he disagrees then that is that. Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Just walk away, he's lying to you
    That car was bought by a dealer in April, so that car was bought trade.
    A quick Google shows the (Latvian?) seller worked in Hertz car rental for ages, so will have connections in motor trade. He also has other cars for sale.
    This car was bought to flip for profit. It's not like he had it for ages and now needs to free up space.

Nothing wrong with making money of course.

It's not like there are no cars out there for €1500

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

NCT can be got for a few quid. It means nothing.

Get the car checked out properly or walk away.

Yes that is the car. I think I'll ask him to put it through the nct and I'll pay for the exam and what not before buying it. If he disagrees then that is that. Cheers

Save your money. The onus is on the seller to do the NCT.

Got in touch with a friend who is a mechanic. Basically told me to leave it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

I'd also be suspicious of the car. The seller would make it many times more attractive to buyers and fetch a better price by getting it through the NCT for €55. It makes no sense that they wouldn't do this unless they know of a reason why it won't pass.

There are plenty of decent cars out there with valid NCT. The car may well be fine but I wouldn't chance it myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Even if it was put through and had a fail sheet with minor problems that would be something .

This smells to high heavan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

NCT means feck all on a car that age bar whats on the test sheet. A 04 car with an NCT or not should be inspected properly. Clutch, gearbox, engine could all fail within a week, despite passing NCT the same week. Get the seller to bring the car to a nearby garage of your choosing to get a decent mechanic to give it a once over (generally a pre-nct, but with the benefit of them looking for the warning signs of major mechanical failures). Cost me €50 when i had one done by a garage I had no association with. Unfortunately it wont guarantee a car will be perfect but its peace of mind before handing over your cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Nct is better than no nct though, especially on a cheap car where repairs to get one could cost as much as the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Don't bother, look for a REAL private seller.

This one, IMHO, is the worst kind of a seller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Just walk away, he's lying to you
    That car was bought by a dealer in April, so that car was bought trade.
    A quick Google shows the (Latvian?) seller worked in Hertz car rental for ages, so will have connections in motor trade.

That's some impressive googleing.

grogi wrote: »
    That's some impressive googleing.

I was going to say the same thing. Thank you for you answers. Got my solution

Advertisement