Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 - Round of 16 - France vs Ireland, 2 pm, RTE, ITV

• 26-06-2016 1:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

france-republic-of-ireland-roi-graphic-euros-euro-2016_3489463.jpg?20160624074906

France vs Ireland

2:00pm Sunday 26th June
    Stade des Lumieres

Hand, Henry, revenge...that about sums up the build for this game from our French friends, but I'd like to think we're focused on the bigger picture: the chance for us to reach the quarter-finals of a major tournament for the first time in over a quarter of a century. If we pull this off, it's hard to think of a bigger result in Irish football history because of what it would represent.

We go into this game against the hosts and tournament favourites as massive underdogs. The bookies don't give us much of a prayer with Skybet offering 4/9 for a France win and 9/1 for ourselves (3/1 a draw). We've also had our vocal fans get stiffed with only a fraction of the tickets that the home fans have been allocated.

But that being said, we are on a high after the Italy result and with Jon Walters returning to training there is a chance one of our key men may feature. We famously struggled for wins against teams ranked above us in competitive games for a long time, but yet by my reckoning we've recorded three such wins over the past 9 months (Germany, Bosnia, Italy).

Can we do it on Saturday? What team selection would you like to see? And how should we approach the game?

Overall I'm feeling pretty philosophical about it. I think all the pressure ought to be on the French and I'm hoping that the players don't produce a nervy showing like they did against Belgium. If we can keep it tight for the first half and not concede then you sense these fans will get frustrated and that could play in our favour. They do have terrific quality though and one of the tournament's stars in Payet so they can certainly produce moments of magic.

I'm not confident of a win but I am cautiously optimistic we can give them a bloody good game.

COYBIG

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

https://vimeo.com/172203469

That video brings all the emotions of Wednesday right back around.

Personally I think this will be one step too far for the lads after the effort that they put in against the Italians. I just hope if we are to lose, that we lose with the spirit and desire we showed against Italy, and not what we seen in Belgium.

Immensely proud regardless of the result. But my god, imagine a quarter final against the English? It would be crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,635 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I predict a ireland win , and im always right on the first page of a new thread :))

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Will be tough but we are in bonus territory and the pressure is all on the French. Keep it tight for at least the first half hour and see if the majority French crowd start gettng on their backs. Take it from there. Get our players that can play on the ball as much as possible and see if we can put some pressure on their frankly dodgy defence. I have seen far stranger results happen. COYBIG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Hope the boys can raise themselves again for another massive effort.

It's going to be tough, but I think France are flakey and disjointed and a really determined and unified effort could just about do it.

I'd love to stick it to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Didn't Andy Carroll destroy Koscielny when he scored that hat trick last season?! I reckon we give Murphy some good time on the pitch and see how he gets on :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

2-0 to Ireland. Brady, coleman.

Not probable though! Ill go with 1-1, extra time, penalty heartbreak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Doing it on Saturday won't be good enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,468 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

With so few Irish fans in stadium it will have a very different feel. Need to quieting the crowd. Would hate to see us drop off, we need to have positive attitude . We have a score to settle. We played a great game in that play off, we need same again and this time we can win.
    France have been poor thus far, only creeping by the likes of Albania, draw with the Swiss. We have a super chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,468 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Hendrick will score, a goal is coming for him. He has gone close every game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

We need someone quick in midfield to chase the game.

France have kante.

That will be the difference, who can do that job?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

JustTheOne wrote: »

McCarthy CAN do it, whether he does or not is a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Hopefully ward is fit to free up Brady to play further forward. I think we will lose 2 1 unfortunately. If we do win the country is going to go crazy Italia 90 style it would be great to see so here's hoping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

I think we'll score, and maybe get a 1-1 draw.
    France to nick it in extra time though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

I think if Ward plays we will concede at least 2, not an international level defender in my opinion, ideally I'd like to see Brady in midfield but not if it means playing Ward.

I think we can give them a hell of a game but they have alot more quality than Italy did.

We could bring it to penalties though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

France haven't played anywhere near to their potential yet and if that continues, Ireland could well find themselves in the quarters. Imagine an Iceland Ireland Quarter Final!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Is Walters anywhere near fitness?

Rock77 wrote: »
    I think if Ward plays we will concede at least 2, not an international level defender in my opinion, ideally I'd like to see Brady in midfield but not if it means playing Ward.

I think we can give them a hell of a game but they have alot more quality than Italy did.

We could bring it to penalties though!

Ward has done quite well at the euros I'd much prefer bradys pace and creativity in midfield

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

I think a Belgian result far more likely than the Italy result.

But stranger things have happened. Come on Leicester IRELAND!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

We need someone quick in midfield to chase the game.

France have kante.

The better the opposition the better and more important Kante becomes to France. I don't think he'll be the difference and will probably be sacrificed if France decide to put the boot down. They will dominate possession, we need to keep shape and try and hit them on the break.

Hopefully Walters is back, McClean on the wing to try and expose Evra who has looked a liability so far!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

Ward has done quite well at the euros I'd much prefer bradys pace and creativity in midfield

I'd have to disagree, Ward is slow, wasteful in possession and looks like he doesn't want the ball.

Brady is one of our best midfielders and I'd be desperate to see him play him there, I just think in this game we are going to be under so much pressure, our defence is the most important thing and Ward will be found out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Ward has got a big snooser...so he could sniff out a result for us ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

I just hope we don't crash out due to a dodgy ref, or another Henry-esque incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I reckon we'll do them in. Very excited

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Our defence will give away so many free kicks today that Dimi will be on top form, one time I don't want him to score mind you !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Prediction. FT 0-0 ET 0-1 KEANE he's due to do something at the Euros !!! COYBIG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

4-0 France.

Early goal will destroy Ireland, a bit like Spain last time.

I hope I'm wrong but worried I will be right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Arghus wrote: »
    Hope the boys can raise themselves again for another massive effort.

It's going to be tough, but I think France are flakey and disjointed and a really determined and unified effort could just about do it.

I'd love to stick it to them.

Each of those reasons are also both my major concern (tiredness) and cause for optimism (disjointed France)
    This is prob MON toughest ever Team selection.
    Team prob need fresh legs. But other than Wes and Quinn ...and maybe Clark I wouldn't play any of the alternatives in this game.
    Walters Is surely still crocked . & ward?

Kante is the one player that is stiching their "team" together. & How to stop Pogba breaking from midfield?
    SC, SD, RK, RB;
    JMcC
    WH SQ JH
    SL JMcL

Come on Ireland!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭sjb25

Can't wait for the game very nervous hope they can do it part of me believes they can just can't shake thinking it will be a game to far for the lads

But can you imagine if they do it nobody will be in work for the week :)

Umaro wrote: »
    I just hope we don't crash out due to a dodgy ref, or another Henry-esque incident.

Surely our last 2 games has got the bad refereeing decisions out of our way.

• Advertisement

greendom wrote: »
    France haven't played anywhere near to their potential yet and if that continues, Ireland could well find themselves in the quarters. Imagine an Iceland Ireland Quarter Final!

Imagine an England Ireland Quarter Final

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Important question lads, are we wearing green or white today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

With so few Irish fans in stadium it will have a very different feel. Need to quieting the crowd. Would hate to see us drop off, we need to have positive attitude . We have a score to settle. We played a great game in that play off, we need same again and this time we can win.
    France have been poor thus far, only creeping by the likes of Albania, draw with the Swiss. We have a super chance.

In fairness, everyone has been poor so far, the whole tournament has been absolutely awful. I reckon we have been one of the more positive teams so far and I'm hoping to see a positive approach today. My wife was saying to me after the Portugal Croatia match (possibly the most boring football match ever) that if we lose, at least let it be after a good, attacking effort and not after defending for two hours and not having a go. We definitely have a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I dunno but they will be wearing Frnch scalps later and that will be a feather in their hats.

Koobcam wrote: »
    In fairness, everyone has been poor so far, the whole tournament has been absolutely awful.

no it hasn't

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

A good solid start,try and keep the ball when we have it and not be lumping it up and giving them possession, it will be a long day out like the Belguim game if we start at that craic again,

COYBIG

• Advertisement

A good solid start,try and keep the ball when we have it and not be lumping it up and giving them possession, it will be a long day out like the Belguim game if we start at that craic again,

COYBIG

I think we actually conceded against Belgium when we tried keeping the ball and making things happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I'm really worried about this.

Just think a hiding could be on the horizon.

France don't look that great in the air at the back so I'd say Murphy might start and I'd like to see us be quite direct in this game and use the wings a lot as we need to do whatever we can to bypass Frances powerhouse midfield, we haven't a hope of getting on top their so try ti take it out of the equation as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I think we actually conceded against Belgium when we tried keeping the ball and making things happen.

That's when we were one nil down so we had to try something,we were lucky to be at nil all at half time we kept giving the ball back to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

fryup wrote: »
    no it hasn't

Guess we will have to disagree on that so. And I suppose even a crap tournament is better than no tournament, especially as we are in it

• Registered Users Posts: 47 chris241111

We should play McGeady in the starting 11. I don't know why he doesn't, Then scrap Shane Long

• Advertisement

its a hard one to call....

ireland were great in the last game but were playing the italy B team...France haven't been firing on all cylinders as yet but today could be the day for them to click

i think an early goal for france and it could be curtains

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

We should play McGeady in the starting 11. I don't know why he doesn't, Then scrap Shane Long

Play McGeady over Long? I'd say one of the reasons he doesn't is cause Long has produced much more for Ireland than Aiden, add into it that McGeady has been struggling for games and form for two years while Long has been paying regularly at Southampton.

Oh and McGeady is not a striker and never will be!

Take it easy on the beer it's still over 3 hours to kick off.

Take it easy on the beer it's still over 3 hours to kick off.

HaHA, but really , McGeady is hands down the best player we have and only comes on in the 70th minute

duffman13 wrote: »
    Play McGeady over Long? I'd say one of the reasons he doesn't is cause Long has produced much more for Ireland than Aiden, add into it that McGeady has been struggling for games and form for two years while Long has been paying regularly at Southampton.

Oh and McGeady is not a striker and never will be!

Sorry I wasnt clear, I didn't mean swap them, I know they are completely different players
    But our strategy is not working

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

We'll be in white

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

White as France are the Home team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

HaHA, but really , McGeady is hands down the best player we have and only comes on in the 70th minute

The best player Ireland have?

Are you 7?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

He's the most naturally talented and balanced dribbler of the ball we have. Unfortunately he's also incredibly wasteful and lacks end product. Brady and Walters are superior options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Ireland 1 - 0 France

• Advertisement
Advertisement