Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 - Round of 16 - France vs Ireland, 2 pm, RTE, ITV

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

FatherTed wrote: »
    Not impressed by the French fans. First booing their team when everything is not rosy for them, then Ole'ing against a 10 man team. Bunch of glory hunters.

Disappointed in Houlahan, he gave the ball away a few times when in promising positions.

How are they glory hunters ? I don't agree with people booing their own side but that aside they are very passionate fans and decent football fans in my experience... we'do be doing the same...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Looked tired towards the end of the first half, started the second half off poorly and then gave away one really really poor goal after the French equaliser.

Seemed to panic for a few minutes throwing men forward and were caught out badly.

Felt sorry for them towards the end. Treading water, they were out of their feet.

With regards to France, they haven't a hope of wining the tournament. On another day we could have scored at least another. They are awful at the back. The couple of players missing for them could be will be huge in the quarters but if they do manage to get through that's as far as I see them going.

Overall I'm really happy with the tournament from an Irish perspective. Despite the two huge frustrations of today and the Belgium game, where on both occasions we had a spell of complete panic where we completely lost our shape and over chased the game at the wrong time.

Whatever about the team selection, th decision to bring on Walters looked really poor. He looked a shadow of himself in the first match after a long injury and came off injured again. Hasn't played since and looked nowhere near fit when he came on.

A positive tournament overall though and it's great in a way that we can talk about perhaps throwing the game away a little today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Hope duffy doesnt feel too down on himself after that second half

Faugheen wrote: »
    We've had four in the whole game so you can stop lying.

Two shots on target for Ireland in the full game..................;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Ireland conceded poor defensive goals against Belgium with O'Shea on the pitch. Not buying this crap from Dunphy at all.

Needs to be given his own marching orders. Adds no insight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Green Fella

A real pathetic Second Half display

We went back to Belgium mode, and totally lay down and died in the 2nd half. Didnt do ourselves justice at all. O'Neill as usual clueless far too late to act on substitutions, players out on their feet at the start of the 2nd Half

Very disappointing against a very average French performance, another one that got away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,392 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Team died with their boots on. Can't ask for any more than that. Went out with pride intact unlike the last Euros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Randolph in goal as well.

Randolph impressed me in his little cameo for the Hammers towards the end of last season. He had one or two dodgy moments in this tournament but with a limited defence I suppose that's fair enough.

Certainly worthy of being more than a No. 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭LowOdour

A championship which gave us 3 decent enough performances is a success in my books. There is something in this team...and coming out of it in much better spirits that '12.

If Duffy, Brady and Hendrick all get a move to the premiership over the summer than we should have a decent (mostly top flight) team going in to the WC qualifiers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Very proud of the squad!!!

I think we had a pretty good tournament with beating Italy and giving France a tough game.

What's annoying is how we can't compose ourselves after conceding. Same thing that happened with Belgium happened today. Instead of the third goal though, there was the red card

I dont think we were composed from when we scored . It actually changed the game mentality scoring so early . Ah well :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Pogba really upped his performance in the second and grabbed the midfield by the neck.

Against a team that was dead on their feet!

Haven't been impressed by him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭enzo roco

vidor wrote: »
    Nah, he was poor when he came on. Tidy player but not today.

No way, I completely disagree. Not everythign went perfect, but he tried to play ball and attack the french in a different way than just a long ball.
    Some of his passes were just simple, but at that stage of the game we had no one doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

I'm just laughing at the idea of O'Shea being absent from the team being the major talking point. Cringe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Is it just me but was the ref poor second half, Giroud not foul one of our players in the half way line in the build up to Duffy's red?

Two Shots on Target for Ireland in the Whole game.

• Advertisement

Sand wrote: »
    Dont think Robbie Keane will quit until the manager drops him. Cant see Hoolahan quitting either - he will want to catch up on lost time. O'Shea might though.

Hoolahan and Keane have no legs, they could stay on if they wanted as nobody will put them out of the squad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

A real pathetic Second Half display

We went back to Belgium mode, and totally lay down and died in the 2nd half. Didnt do ourselves justice at all. O'Neill as usual clueless far too late to act on substitutions, players out on their feet at the start of the 2nd Half

Very disappointing against a very average French performance, another one that got away

No it wasn't.

France upped their game in the second half and if they play close to their best we were not going to beat them.

They're just better than us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭funtime93

I want France to get dumped purely for girouds pathetic flop to the ground at that free kick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Move to Spain, Hendrick, hone those silky midfield skills.

I'm just laughing at the idea of O'Shea being absent from the team being the major talking point. Cringe.
    The 2nd half defensive display was pretty pathetic, we handed the match to France on a plate.

• Advertisement

Is it just me but was the ref poor second half, Giroud not foul one of our players in the half way line in the build up to Duffy's red?

He was generous in not sending off Hendrick towards the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I think there were more chances there for us with a bit more composure. Hendrick faded a lot from early on in the second half, we didn't use the wings enough either.

Hard to fault the effort though, a bit of mental tweaking with players depending on the situations (holding a lead etc) may be needed but brought France right to the final whistle with just a goal lead. Any very decent team will score goals against that French defence, we were opening up them more for a lot of the game than they were doing to us until it started to crumble a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

'should of had John back'

Eamonn getting emotional. He really likes John.

The 2nd half defensive display was pretty pathetic, we handed the match to France on a plate.

O'Shea played vs Belgium. I wish Maloney would just mention that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Yes ok Duffy shouldn't have got sucked in, but is this the only thing the talking heads can go on about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

He was generous in not sending off Hendrick towards the end.

Totally agree, I just felt the ref was a bit of a coward in the second half

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

No it wasn't.

France upped their game in the second half and if they play close to their best we were not going to beat them.

They're better than us but had we had a similar length of time off as them I'd say we'd have pushed them further. They had every advantage they could have asked for really and only just got the job done.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

From what I have seen of Pogba for both Juve and France, he has to be the most overrated player in World Football at the moment.

A good player, but not worth the €100 million that Juve are asking for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

We just don't have a good enough team at this level, we don't have even that one player that makes the difference (Bale for Wales for example), heart is great but it only gets you so far.

The only defence today is possibly the heat. Other than that no complaints about the result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,479 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It was a tough draw and French had every advantage they could muster .
    We lost our head for few minutes after game went 1-1. There was no need to panic, we should of sat deep, not feel a need to go push on to score again. Was no need, 1-1 was great at that point in game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

O'Shea played vs Belgium. I wish Maloney would just mention that.

Ah but that was all McCarthy's fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,392 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

enzo roco wrote: »
    No way, I completely disagree. Not everythign went perfect, but he tried to play ball and attack the french in a different way than just a long ball.
    Some of his passes were just simple, but at that stage of the game we had no one doing that.

I love Wes but he was poor after he came on. Kept losing possession. Granted it wasn't easy at that stage of the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Some of the players could have been a bit less selfish, more than a couple of no chance attempts that should have been knocked back to other players caused a lot of frustration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

Do you hear Dunphy saying O'Shea should never have been left out and should of played from the start instead of Duffy...

Did anyone hear him say that BEFORE the game?

No it wasn't.

Sure lets pretend we were great in the 2nd half. Nonsense. It was night and day between the first half, we gave up early on and changes were needed early. Showed absolutely nothing in the 2nd half and went out with a whimper. Its not a surprise in that people overrated the side after the Italy game, an Italian side who didnt give 2 ****s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

FixitFelix wrote: »
    Against a team that was dead on their feet!

Haven't been impressed by him

Havent been impressed by pogba at all this tournament .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Do you hear Dunphy saying O'Shea should never have been left out and should of played from the start instead of Duffy...

I think he actually did...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Proud of the lads gave it their all. An enjoyable tournament as an Irish supporter with a few good highs thrown in. Bit of hope for the future aswell with the likes of brady and hendrick.

Who are gonna get behind now? Tournament looks wide open to me. Belgium, if they get their **** together in any way shape or form, have a great chance and should make the final.

There's no outstanding team and any team that looks in the running looks poor defensively, except for the Itailans and I don't think they have enough goals in them.

I think the Germans may do it again. They don't look particularly strong and will always give you chances, but they look to have the tournament temperament.

• Advertisement

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Ah but that was all McCarthy's fault.

But according to the panel O'Shea would have told him where to go/what to do :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Yes actually he said it a few times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Tournament football nearly always finds the smaller nations out in the end. I've said it earlier but it's the lack of squad depth that kills you. You can only hassle and chase for so long against the big boys.

In the end the lads left everything on the pitch. You can ask no more. And if you expect more then by all means get yourself involved in some way with our domestic game and help the next generation of Irish footballers be even better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Mr. Farage

Well done the lads but huge chance missed. England if they beat Iceland will tear that French defence to pieces.

Totally agree, I just felt the ref was a bit of a coward in the second half

Are we back in blame the referee mode rather than looking at our own failings. The referee was fine today, as he was in the Belgium game. He screwed us against Italy but it didnt matter in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

I think he actually did...

I obviously missed it then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

blueser wrote: »
    Well; I've seen terms like "mong" and "wanker" used on here today and, to the best of my knowledge, the posters who used those terms haven't been banned. The post you're referring to is one of an imbecile, not sure it's worthy of a ban though.

I'd take a look at his posting history across the forums... I can't use the 'T' word or I'll be off myself but a mystery how this individual is still around as their contribution across every forum 90% are pure t.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Sure lets pretend we were great in the 2nd half. Nonsense. It was night and day between the first half, we gave up early on and changes were needed early. Showed absolutely nothing in the 2nd half and went out with a whimper. Its not a surprise in that people overrated the side after the Italy game, an Italian side who didnt give 2 ****s.

We didn't give up we just were beaten by a better team

That is what happens in sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

What did some of you expect? Us to go out and play France off the park? Thought we played well in the first half. Passed it well, went long when we needed too and had a few half chances to go 2-0 up.

We were always going to be in trouble in the second. The French team came out fired up and bringing Coman on for Kante was a great switch. It stretched us even more, and with 3 days rest we were always going to be in trouble. Not only physically, but you sense the Italy game took a huge deal out of the players mentally too.

To lose to the host nation 2-1, a team with Greizmann, Pogba, Matudi and Payet, these are top top players who far exceed anything in our squad.

So proud of the lads. Gives us a real platform in a favorable qualifying group for the World Cup. Hendrick and Brady the real standout performers of the tournament, and we played some nice football at times too. Remember the deflation of this time 4 years ago, getting hammered playing shocking football under Trap.

COYBIG

You know it doesn't have to be either brilliant or awful right? There are shade in between?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

The lads did a fantastic job overall, down to 10 men it could have been a slaughtering but they still had a few chances.

In perspectives, Poland 2012......

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Advertisement
Advertisement