Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 - Round of 16 - France vs Ireland, 2 pm, RTE, ITV

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Oops!

Lets take bets on how many more times Dunphy says the word "O Shea...."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

adox wrote: »
    Who are gonna get behind now? Tournament looks wide open to me. Belgium, if they get their **** together in any way shape or form, have a great chance and should make the final.

There's no outstanding team and any team that looks in the running looks poor defensively, except for the Itailans and I don't think they have enough goals in them.

I think the Germans may do it again. They don't look particularly strong and will always give you chances, but they look to have the tournament temperament.

I strongly fancy England to make the semis now. France are no great shakes at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Green Fella

Rikand wrote: »

As a team we're well set for the future now.

Really? With the Domestic League falling to pieces and zero players coming through.

We have the oldest side in the competition and nothing to replace them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Mr. Farage

Who are gonna get behind now? Tournament looks wide open to me. Belgium, if they get their **** together in any way shape or form, have a great chance and should make the final.

There's no outstanding team and any team that looks in the running looks poor defensively, except for the Itailans and I don't think they have enough goals in them.

I think the Germans may do it again. They don't look particularly strong and will always give you chances, but they look to have the tournament temperament.

Iceland. Then France if England beat them. Then whoever England face after that if they win etc...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Why cut the Coleman interview short, but leave this pointless Ground interview go on for ages, RTE??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 344 ✭✭Kobe248

Giroud

Just when we thought you couldnt be cooler

You go and do it

We didn't give up we just were beaten by a better team

That is what happens in sport.

Okay I'm on board. The 2nd half display was terrific. Our defense was amazing. All is rosy and everything is great. Martin O'Neill is a tactically superb manager.

Ole Ole Ole

:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I think he actually did...

He said instead of Keogh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

I strongly fancy England to make the semis now. France are no great shakes at all.

Really? England have been less than convincing themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I think they may struggle against Iceland if Iceland have their sh1t together. England have really struggled to break down defensive teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Kobe248 wrote: »
    Giroud

Just when we thought you couldnt be cooler

You go and do it

What he do?

Really? With the Domestic League falling to pieces and zero players coming through.

That's actually a fair coment. But maybe for another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

I think the heat, way less rest, France upping their game was too much in the end.

Lads were dead on their feet with even a half an hour to go.

Irish lads did themselves proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Dunphy like a dog with a bone on about O'Shea and how he'd mysteriously prevent those goals... Seemingly forgetting O'Shea was centre stage for an inferior defensive display against Belgium.

We wouldn't have beaten that French side with 5 O'Sheas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 344 ✭✭Kobe248

Englands front line is better than Frances

Good man John

Keep picking up those cheques

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

naughtb4 wrote: »
    What he do?

Congratulated ireland, i suppose that's cool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Lads and lasses , whatever about the performance tonight it indefinitely better than 2012

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Gutted but the French were way fitter and dominant.

The 2nd half was a bitter pill to swallow :(

Fair play to the lads they gave it there all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

That's actually a fair coment. But maybe for another day.

Not really. Our domestic league was never strong to begin with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Dunphy is a pain in the hole, but lets be honest, how many of us would have picked either Keogh or Duffy ahead of O'Shea - even for the Italy game? I didn't see the build up before the game started, but if he wasn't saying it then, at similar length (coz he tends to mention every possible thing briefly before a game so he can say "we said it before the match started") he should be disqualified from harping on about it now.

I still think there's one big shocj k in this tournament....so it's up to Slovakia, Hungary or Iceland now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

<insert Roy Hodgson image>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭funtime93

Coleman, Duffy, Brady, Hendrick, McCarthy, Long all well young enough.
    Get jack byrne in there aswell. Stop being so negative .

I think they may struggle against Iceland if Iceland have their sh1t together. England have really struggled to break down defensive teams.

England will take them in the end. Iceland won't last for the whole duration. We saw why today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

France will beat England and Iceland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Okay I'm on board. The 2nd half display was terrific. Our defense was amazing. All is rosy and everything is great. Martin O'Neill is a tactically superb manager.

Ole Ole Ole

:cool:

I didn't say it was a brilliant second half display I just said that sometimes what happens in sport is that you are beaten by the better team.That is what happened today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

For what it's worth the first half performance from Ireland when both sides had energy was the best I've seen from us in years. They played really good football. They just ran out of gas on a hot day. It was always going to happen at some point in the game after all the physical and mental energy spent on the Italy match. And against French side where most of their big players have had over a week's rest.

KungPao wrote: »

Lads were dead on their feet with even a half an hour to go.

Changes should have been made very early 2nd half our players were dead on their feet at the start of the 2nd half. O'Neill waited far too late and the damage was done after conceded 2 cheap goals and going a man down.

We definitely had a chance to win this game so it is very disappoining the way the 2nd half went.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Debil

France were were beatable, and Ireland could have won it on another day.

A bit more composure, and They might not have conceded the goals. They did excellently overall, and fair play to the lads. No blame on anyone. They conceded as a team.

Obviously it's disappointing, but it's light years away from 4 years ago. Hopefully the boys stay, and a few of the players get the moves they deserve.That will give them more confidence in themselves.

France can have their day, and their unfair amount of tickets.Let's not beat around the bush, it played its part, especially when France were attacking at the start of the 2nd. It's here we need the composure, and it will come.

And to be honest, Fu*k France. I don't give a F*uck. And, Fu/ck their tickets. Today is about Hendrick(24). Today is about Brady(24). Today is about McCarthy(25). Today is about the young lads, Byrne and O'Dowda who have no fear, and would have gotten on the ball.

The thing is, we all know we could have won. The players, the management and the fans. F/ck France. Roll on the qualifiers.

I didn't say it was a brilliant second half display I just said that sometimes what happens in sport is that you are beaten by the better team.That is what happened today.

Expert analysis there. Dont give up the day job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭enzo roco

France will beat England and Iceland.

Not sure about that. I think England will make the semis. France are not perfect.
    I hope England do anywya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Walters said there that he wasn't fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,544 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Hard luck to the boys. You played well today & did us proud; but you were outplayed by a better team towards the end of the game.

MON & Roy Keane are a credit to us as well given the challenges they faced against us the Belgians & the French.

You also did way better than what we had gone through 4 years ago. And that is a bigger achievement in itself. Well done to you all.

COYBIG

Changes should have been made very early 2nd half our players were dead on their feet at the start of the 2nd half. O'Neill waited far too late and the damage was done after conceded 2 cheap goals and going a man down.

We definitely had a chance to win this game so it is very disappoining the way the 2nd half went.

You can only make 3 changes in the game and a managers don't make changes early in the second half in case there is an injury you try and hold them for a while just in case.

Cause your analysis is excellent captain hindsight

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Not really. Our domestic league was never strong to begin with.

We are in genuine trouble when it comes to player development. Ignore it as much as you want.

Debil wrote: »
    Today is about the young lads, Byrne and O'Dowda who have no fear, and would have gotten on the ball.

Today about 2 lads in the English lower leagues who werent even in the squad?

Sometimes being beaten by the better team is what actually happens.They upped their game at the start of the second half and we couldn't cope.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I am not that disappointed, expected France to win so the result was not a surprise, but its great we could give the French a game to worry them for a long period.
    Ireland have definitely improved which is the most important thing.

enzo roco wrote: »
    Cause your analysis is excellent captain hindsight
    Actually its been discussed to death on here by me and others how O'Neill is incredibly slow to make substitions. So its nothing to do with hindsight, this was obvious years ago. Guess theres no point in this thread, since everything is in hindsight? The game is over thus discussion on it. Offer something constructive if you wish to add.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Well beaten in the end but no complaints against the players for me, they simply weren't good enough but gave their all and really, it was a lot closer than I thought it'd be before the match.

The fact we couldn't keep the ball for more than 10 seconds at a time is what killed us in the end, just leading to wave after wave of French attacks and even the best defence in the world would eventually crack under so much pressure.

Again not a criticism of the players though, we just don't have enough players comfortable in possession to control a game. As others have said this week we need a complete overhaul of the coaching system and player development to emphasise technique and positioning but that's for another day.

Well done lads, after the disaster four years ago we've gone out fighting and gave the hosts a decent match

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Mr. Farage

Will be easier for England to beat France than Iceland. Don't want to see them go any further but seriously fancy them for the semi's now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Oldest squad. Many of the older players haven't been first choices for a long time now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

f**king hell .. THREE breaks since the game ended. Are RTE not getting the license fee anymore or what?

Actually its been discussed to death on here by me and others how O'Neill is incredibly slow to make substitions. So its nothing to do with hindsight, this was obvious years ago. Guess theres no point in this thread, since everything is in hindsight? The game is over thus discussion on it. Offer something constructive if you wish to add.

Ha, me offer something constructive???
    You were slagging another poster about their analysis, so you deserved to be called out on your bs. You know you do. Cop on a bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Debil

Today about 2 lads in the English lower leagues who werent even in the squad?

A generation who watched, and may not have an inferiority complex. Seems important to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭dasdog

I'm not disappointed at all. It been a good tournament for us. I'm sure there are kids trying to re-create Wes half volley and Brady's header. Hope Hungary can cause an upset tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Hard luck lads. Really fancied you today. I think you just ran out of steam but nothing to be ashamed of.

f**king hell .. THREE breaks since the game ended. Are RTE not getting the license fee anymore or what?

considering the amount of stick tv3 usually get about being break happy.

• Advertisement

Sometimes being beaten by the better team is what actually happens.They upped their game at the start of the second half and we couldn't cope.
    Thats fair enough

But we didnt do ourselves justice 2nd half. Needed proper organisation we were all over the place.

Also it really is not acceptable at this level how tired the players were 50 minutes in. Maybe in the last 15-20 minutes, but we were finished at half time, changes should have been made. I know we didnt have the extra days rest and we were chasing France around in strong heat, but you cannot collapse with exhaustion that early or something is seriously wrong

Advertisement