Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 - Round of 16 - France vs Ireland, 2 pm, RTE, ITV

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Sad day.

First half we were pretty comfortable, they weren't looking dangerous.

The marking for the two goals was shocking. Both were avoidable.

We had a couple of other chances, McClean I think it was had a pretty easy ball to play across the 6 yard box for a tap in and lacked the composure.

I don't mind the way O'Neill has been using Hoolahan. He's great on the ball obviously but we won't have the ball the majority of the time and I think he's a bit soft for getting stuck into tackles and chasing people down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

mdwexford wrote: »
    Sad day.

First half we were pretty comfortable, they weren't looking dangerous.

The marking for the two goals was shocking. Both were avoidable.

We had a couple of other chances, McClean I think it was had a pretty easy ball to play across the 6 yard box for a tap in and lacked the composure.

I don't mind the way O'Neill has been using Hoolahan. He's great on the ball obviously but we won't have the ball the majority of the time and I think he's a bit soft for getting stuck into tackles and chasing people down.

I think both ward and Duffy challenged Giroud for the header I just couldn't believe it. And it broke to Greizmann. If one goes and one stays it's fine.

As for the 1st. Crazy, the smallest person on the pitch free 5 yards out.

McClean did great all game. I just can't believe he didn't square the ball it was a tap in for Murphy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Duffy's mistake for the 2nd goal gets worse the more you see it. Completely sold himself and left the middle of the defence wide open for Griezmann.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

We should have crowded midfield, when kante came off . They were well on top at that stage. Whelan for Murphy should have option. Managers acted too slowly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I just want to be the first to say I think we would have won this tournament had we not lost today just like in 2002 I think losing in the last 16 indicate we were so close to winning our first ever major tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I just want to be the first to say I think we would have won this tournament had we not lost today just like in 2002 I think losing in the last 16 indicate we were so close to winning our first ever major tournament.

I think very best been semi with Germany or Spain beating us by least 2

But I would have fancied our chances against England or Iceland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 267 ✭✭El Chapo

unnamed-71.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

And if my Auntie had bollocks she'd be my Uncle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Haha I'm thanking this coz I have a pain in my hole listening to this sort of crap about 2002 and I'm assuming that you're having a laugh at that school of thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Congrats, you are the first and only person to think that

Well done Eire. We had a good chance there to put away the hosts and came close to a 2nd goal a couple of times. I had given up on this team almost completely at times in the last couple of years but we've done quite well with a fairly limited squad. Hopefully there'll be a golden generation of players in my lifetime and a Bale or a Liam Brady comes along and we can have a chance at doing something wonderful, but the lads today did me proud. Pretty down now, it still hurts :(

Dempsey wrote: »
    Congrats, you are the first and only person to think that

Thank You.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 MarysCurtins

When you post pics online of yourself drinking cans celebtating beating Italy 'b' and do interviews with a beer in one hand and pizza in the other it shows just how professional you are. Smalltime team, got what they deserved today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Debil

When you post pics online of yourself drinking cans celebtating beating Italy 'b' and do interviews with a beer in one hand and pizza in the other it shows just how professional you are. Smalltime team, got what they deserved today.

You have a problem with someone eating a slice of pizza directly after running 13k?

Pathetic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Had we held on, I don't think we would've gone past the quarters. The legs simply wouldn't have been there. With the addition of a round of 16 the chances of a squad with limited resources advancing to a semi or even a final are slim.

I doubt the drink made any difference.These players are so fit a drink every now and then wouldn't have any impact.

If players didn't enjoy the victories in their career they would burn out.You have to enjoy individual match wins or the players would go mad and I'd imagine that should apply to all sports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

You are either a very bitter person or just plain ignorant. Please, please go away.

Pathetic

Sorry pet. Did I upset you with my opinion. Great retort to my post though.

No real professional sportsperson does that during an interview unless they actually won setting or the season is over. Celebrate getting through in private and with a little bit of decorum. But players like some supporters lack that I suppose

Debil wrote: »
    You have a problem with someone eating a slice of pizza directly after running 13k?

Pizza no, beer yes, but beer is ok cos.... Irish

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Debil

No real professional sportsperson does that during an interview unless they actually won setting or the season is over. Celebrate getting through in private and with a little bit of decorum. But players like some supporters lack that I suppose

Decorum? Back behind the curtains. Real life is too much for you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 267 ✭✭El Chapo

I actually feel sorry for people like you.

Must be a horrible existence to be in such misery all the time.

Go back to supporting Rugby and Ian Madigan's hair, football isn't for you, more than 10 teams play it

Thank You.

Dont thank me, you are a fool if you believe what you think

Pizza no, beer yes, but beer is ok cos.... Irish

Leicester ate alot of pizza on their title run

No pet, your post was just pathetic and embarrassing to you and shows you up

I'm not upset at you anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Weren't the Welsh team allowed to drink some beers. They are doing OK. Got what we deserved. We lost to one of the top teams in the world today playing at home. You would think we lost to Faroe islands are someone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Why all the anger? Ignore that one. Hendricks had his pizza, his beer, and a good game today. But there is also some truth in that the side gassed and that stuff wouldn't have helped (but could have helped them keep running mentally, when they hit the physical wall).

If England win tomorrow, 5 of the quarter finalists (as well as one of the best teams not to qualify, Scotland are quite underrated as we found out... twice) will have stood in our way. That's a pretty remarkable statistic, our road to where we got to couldn't really have been harder without being comical. That only dawned in me yesterday, and I hope I was one of the last people to realise it. Great achievement, and we want down fighting even either 10 men (even if we squandered it at the very, very end where we should have lumped it forward and prayed).

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Strong Life in Dublin

You obviously never played sports in your life, little treats like that can make a huge difference to morale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Mec27 wrote: »
    It is interesting that in none of France's previous 3 games did they overpower anyone like they did to us in those 10 minutes. We seemed to just lose our shape completely.

That's because we had 10 men though. And they had 3 extra days rest. Plus we'd an unfit Jonny Walters. The boys were out on their feet.

• Advertisement

El Chapo wrote: »
    Must be a horrible existence to be in such misery all the time.

I'm not. Not sure how you came up with that. It's my oponion, sorry if I've upset you.
    Go back to supporting Rugby and Ian Madigan's hair, football isn't for you, more than 10 teams play it

Strange attempt at an insult. I have no interest in rugby. Why don't you go back to supporting cricket, football isn't for you either,you get too upset over it. See what I did there?

Omackeral wrote: »
    Mec27 wrote: »
    It is interesting that in none of France's previous 3 games did they overpower anyone like they did to us in those 10 minutes. We seemed to just lose our shape completely.

That's because we had 10 men though. And they had 3 extra days rest.
    Plus our squad isn't only in talent (including the starters), it's also lacking depth. This might be the worst Irish team kn paper for nearly 40 years, couldn't be prouder considering that. They gave it everything they had, and Belgium game aside did not look scared. And MON did a great job playing to our few strengths and protecting against our numerous weaknesses. Hats off to all.

Ya those 3 extra days did not help us. Not making excuse but even if we had played Monday just who knows.

But that's luck of draw.

No pet, your post was just pathetic and embarrassing to you and shows you up

I'm not upset at you anyway

My opinion shows me up? Ok.

My opinion shows me up? Ok.

Ya, a one like yours does, yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

McLeans chance to square it will haunt me. It's the easy ball to play. Why pull it back. All heart and no brain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Billy86 wrote: »
    Why all the anger? Ignore that one. Hendricks had his pizza, his beer, and a good game today. But there is also some truth in that the side gassed and that stuff wouldn't have helped (but could have helped them keep running mentally, when they hit the physical wall).

That gives me anger! Why do people keep calling him that?!

His feet dance like an electric guitar riff, Shimmy Hendricks

Gah, sorry was on the phone - autocorrect! :p

Trust me I know the fury, much like Shay Givens.

• Advertisement

Ya, a one like yours does, yes

So does your reaction to my post. Instead of criticising or finding fault with my opinion you get personal. The initial reaction you had was just an insult,at Least in your book, too. if you can't debate/ critisise constructivly just insult. That'll show me and you'll "win"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

niallo27 wrote: »
    McLeans chance to square it will haunt me. It's the easy ball to play. Why pull it back. All heart and no brain
    That was painful alright. Immaterial now.

France by far the better team in the second half and I hope they win it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Only online now. But mother of jaysus how unfit was Walters. Serious questions have to be asked over that decision to bring him on. He was practically limping around the pitch!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

And they had 3 extra days rest.

And there's no randomness about that either.
    The hosts always go into Group A, so when the fixtures were planned they knew full well they were giving France a hugely unfair advantage.
    Wonder how much say Platini had in it as UEFA president at the time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,544 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Henry was trying to seemingly dodge his handball faux pa against Ireland that started off by Shearer on BBC1 a few minutes ago.

So does your reaction to my post. Instead of criticising or finding fault with my opinion you get personal. The initial reaction you had was just an insult,at Least in your book, too. if you can't debate/ critisise constructivly just insult. That'll show me and you'll "win"

You made smart ass comment about a guy eating pizza after winning a game.

Seriously!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

The hosts always go into Group A, so when the fixtures were planned they knew full well they were giving France a hugely unfair advantage.

Obviously he had no say if the hosts always go into Group A?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

It makes sense that the HOME nation gets a massive advantage. Nobody wants the host to go out early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

Henry was trying to seemingly dodge his handball faux pa against Ireland that started off by Shearer on BBC1 a few minutes ago.

If I were Henry I'd be trying to do the same and so would all of ye.

In a way, I don't really blame Henry as he was just doing the cynical sh*t that most footballers do. They'll bend and break the rules as far as they think they can get away with to win a game. I blame the crappy referee for not spotting it and the obvious bias of UEFA and FIFA in the wake of the incident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Green Fella

I doubt the drink made any difference.These players are so fit a drink every now and then wouldn't have any impact.

They didnt look too fit today? The team collapsed and were exhausted 50 minutes into the match, and we paid the price big time. Never going to get away with that at the highest level, I expected us to tire from 75 minutes but from HT we were toast. The drink stuff is a non event though, could have been N/A they were on sale in the stadium. Even so irrelevant really.

briany wrote: »
    If I were Henry I'd be trying to do the same and so would all of ye.

In a way, I don't really blame Henry as he was just doing the cynical sh*t that most footballers do. They'll bend and break the rules as far as they think they can get away with to win a game. I blame the crappy referee for not spotting it and the obvious bias of UEFA and FIFA in the wake of the incident.

You mean like their match report (not live commentary, the match report done after the game - and after 50 million replays of the goal) that referred to it as a 'chested pass'? Could have been headed pass but I think it was called chested.

Never before or since seen anything like that, if you put it in a parody it would even seem a little far fetched to be funny.

• Advertisement
Advertisement