Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 - Round of 16 - France vs Ireland, 2 pm, RTE, ITV

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

El Chapo wrote: »
    Hope we see Robbie Keane at some point today if we're chasing the game.

The man deserves to say goodbye. Absolute legend.

Pffffft. If Ireland are chasing a game and need a goal, Robbie will probably not get it, sad to say. I don't think it's really the time for sentimentality. Long just has more pace than even a fresh Robbie.

Let him have a testimonial instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Oh FFS. Liam Brady - "I don't think Lloris is great at coming off his line" and "is bad at crosses". They are literally his strongest attributes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Mr. Farage

UEFA standing over the fact Ireland are only getting 4k tickets is laughable. They desperately want France to go deep in this tournament. I'd be very worried about the referee today tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭dasdog

Hopefully Pogba is in a bad mood today and lunges early seeing red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Looking at the French team, we have one hell of a challenge to get as far as penalties. Hate to say it but I predict 2-0 France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Glad Wessi doesn't start Kante would gobble him up. Good player to bring on when players are tiring.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 267 ✭✭El Chapo

briany wrote: »
    Pffffft. If Ireland are chasing a game and need a goal, Robbie will probably not get it, sad to say. I don't think it's really the time for sentimentality. Long just has more pace than even a fresh Robbie.
    I didn't say start him ahead of Long so I've no idea what you're on about. You can be sure he would have buried that chance Hoolahan got the other night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Eh, sorry Eamon? Payet, goal of the tournament? Did you not see Shaqiri yesterday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,479 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

fryup wrote: »
    Imagine an England Ireland Quarter Final

Brexit Part 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

France not to show up. Ireland to win by default.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Ive a feeling (crazy) we'll score 2 goals in quick succession and will get a third...
    3-0 ireland.

My heart is in overdrive! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Fair play for unchanged.
    That starting 11 will have such belief and form, so why change.
    Experience counts for way less than form IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

sligeach wrote: »
    Eh, sorry Eamon? Payet, goal of the tournament? Did you not see Shaqiri yesterday?

I'd put Modric's ahead of Payet too as well.

sheroman01 wrote: »
    Oh FFS. Liam Brady - "I don't think Lloris is great at coming off his line" and "is bad at crosses". They are literally his strongest attributes.

Hmm strong at crosses? I'm not sure about that, he's been criticised for that in the past as a flaw of his.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭sjb25

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Ive a feeling (crazy) we'll score 2 goals in quick succession and will get a third...
    3-0 ireland.

My heart is in overdrive! :pac:

Some good whiskey you are drinking :) hope you are right :) cmon ta fcuk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Personally I'd have Hoolahan instead of McClean in that side but I can see why O'Neill went with the same side.

He'll come on at some stage. Hope we are still in the game when that happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Extra days rest, the handier group and home advantage. It's really stacked in favour of the French without even considering the quality of their side. It'll be a difficult afternoon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

sligeach wrote: »

He probably didn't if we're realistic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

So, is Holohan not playing? I don't get it, what does he have to do to earn a place? We've scored twice, Holohan got one goal and one assist.

It basically means we have no chance of a goal, so we are basically hoping for a 0-0 draw. I don't mind being defensive, but all defensive teams in this tournaments still try to hit on the break, including Northern Ireland. Without Holohan we have very little chance of even hitting them on the break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

4 - 0 France

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

It basically means we have no chance of a goal, so we are basically hoping for a 0-0 draw. I don't mind being defensive, but all defensive teams in this tournaments still try to hit on the break, including Northern Ireland. Without Holohan we have very little chance of even hitting them on the break.

He didn't start the last game and it wasn't 0-0. Remember?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Would love to see us win but just can't see it happening unless the French lose their shape.
    We will give them too much space and that's one thing you can't do against Payet, Pogba and Griezmann on the edge of the box.

Hoping for a good game that is not sorted with 15 mins to go.

The Karma baby!!!!

France have struggled to break down teams that are dogged and organised, I think we will be at least that today. Who knows how it will go but France don't really play in a constant pressure type way. Set pieces will be very important today i think, for all of Brady's greatness with the goal the last time his set pieces are pretty erratic with as many poor crosses as good ones, so hopefully he can fine tune that today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Gutsy team from MON. Hopefully it can do well. Here's hoping for some decisions to go our way as we haven't had any luck in that respect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

elefant wrote: »
    He didn't start the last game and it wasn't 0-0. Remember?

Yeah, because he came on as a sub, had a great chance and then set up a goal. Are we waiting till he comes on before we go for a goal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Anyone got an RTE stream? The web link is geoblocked :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭surripere

dasdog wrote: »
    Hopefully Pogba is in a bad mood today and lunges early seeing red.

He's not a moody player. He's the player I'd be most concerned about. Absolutely awesome in Serie A. 2-0 to France, with him to score. Sorry :o

Albania held France to 0-0 up to the 90th min
    France needed a 90th min goal to beat Romania
    France drew 0-0 with Swiss .

Their late goals have overshadowed their poor performances thus far.

We have a chance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

We live in hope, France have not shown themselves to be world beaters yet!

Who knows, maybe this is the day when Thierry's handball comes back to haunt France, at home in the Euro championships, favorites to win it out, with 90 % of the support behind them in the stadium, hopefully what goes around comes around :)

Come on IRELAND

COYBIG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Ah god I came on here for a reality check with some proper analysis etc. and all I'm getting is optimism :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

I think we will need to score twice to win this. If we are 1-0 up with ten minutes left I can see France scoring. Maybe we can beat them in extra time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 267 ✭✭El Chapo

Based on the refereeing already in this tournament, I'm worried that if it goes to penalties the referee won't give us any.

I can see the logic in not starting Hoolahan in this game. Poor Wes got creamed in the Belgian game and O'Neill probably wants the aggressiveness of McClean to begin with, instead with Wes to come on in the last 20 minutes. The wisdom of this decision will probably be subject to some retroactive punditry, but we'll see how it goes. As it stands, before the game, all we can do is hope it works out because the decision is out of our hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Mr. Farage

Just heard the pitch side temperature is 29c. This could be very messy indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭enzo roco

I think we will be hammered, their team have some world class players.
    This could be similar to the Belgium match.

France to win by three goals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Anyone know anything about this ref?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

Is Walters named as a sub?

enzo roco wrote: »

Ah, that would be depressing.... :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

enzo roco wrote: »

I've similar feelings myself.

Hope I'm wrong though.

Probably an unpopular opinion, as I don't see it much said, but RTE know how to knock together a decent video package for these games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

vienne86 wrote: »

Apparently he was the ref that didnt send of Nauer when he nearly killed that Argentinian player in the last world cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

vienne86 wrote: »

Nicolla Rizzoli from Italy, never seen any issue with him whatsoever, one of the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I want to be pacing the room nervously in two hours time, unable to sit down

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Giles talking sense for once. The heat might be a big factor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,304 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Dunphy really has a hard on for Hoolahan, has this always been the case or is it a recent thing

Anybody any xanax..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Ireland Pros:
    Big heart
    The French will be expecting to win handy enough

Ireland cons:
    29c heat, melting us
    French players technically better and will control the game in that heat
    Italian referee will be a homer for sure, with weight of expectation of Uefa wanting France in the last 8.
    Ticket sales for this tie prepped for French people to buy in advance and small Irish allocation meaning this will definitely be a "home" game for the French

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

a repeat of the Belgium game here I think. A deflating recrimination-filled 3-0...:p

Advertisement