Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canyon Endurance CF SLX

Options
  • 26-06-2016 8:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭

I am looking at getting a new bike, really like the ENDURACE CF SLX 8.0, wondering if I should go for the di2 version while I am at it.
    https://www.canyon.com/en-ie/road/endurace/endurace-cf-slx-8-0.html

My issue is with picking the right size, I am 172cm high and the XS is down as for 166-172 and the small is for 172-178cm so I'm sort of between both sizes.

I would not be the most flexible.
    I currently ride a 56 Cube agree (Cube are over sized so its more like a 54) but I
    have an 80cm stem on it after a bike fit where I was told that "James becomes
    overstretched @ 550 reach 540 is ideal and Ideally needs a frame with a shorter
    top tube"
    My centre BB to top of saddle is 71.75cm on the cube after and the top of my saddle to the road is 98.42cm.

The canyon comes with a stem that's integrated into the handlebars so I'd really like to try and get the correct fit the first time rather than having to swap the bike or handlebars with them.

Any advise ? (will be used for club cycles and sportives only - no racing)

Here are my measurements:
    Inseam: 79cm
    Trunk: 65cm
    Forearm: 34cm
    Arm: 64cm
    Thigh:63cm
    Lower Leg: 52.5cm
    Sternal Notch: 141cm
    Total Body Height: 172cm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭minterno

Hi, I bought the endurance cf9 about20 months ago and was between measurements myself , the online calculater put me at xl but canyon UK contacted me and suggested dropping down to large which I thought would be just a little too small.
    I should have went with their advice though as I'm a bit stretched on it, its fine but the fit would have been better with a large size , It might be worth a call to canyon , they know their bikes, really nice bike too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I'd go with its easier to make a small bike bigger but very difficult to make a large bike smaller.

In saying that canyon had me on a small mtb and I went for a medium in the end. Although geometry is entirely different to a road bike and from what I see a lot of lads size up on a mtb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭H.E. Pennypacker

The good news is that you can't really go wrong in that you can exchange the bike if its not right (you have to pay shipping again on the new bike).

How does the stack and reach on your Cube compare with the stack and reach on the XS and S Canyon?

The head tube is shorter (as you'd expect) on the smaller bike which might be an issue if your flexibility isn't fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭sin_26

i am exactly 172cm with 79cm inseam and small will be very comfortable for you. Ive tried medium and xsmall and medium stackwise was comfy but tad to long reach with 100cm stem yet xsmall is more like race as u will be in quite closed position with bigger drop.
    In my opinion small will be spot on. Right in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

jamesd wrote: »

Here are my measurements:
    Inseam: 79cm
    Trunk: 65cm
    Forearm: 34cm
    Arm: 64cm
    Thigh:63cm
    Lower Leg: 52.5cm
    Sternal Notch: 141cm
    Total Body Height: 172cm

Couple of bits of advice before some questions!

Buy a spare rear hanger with the bike. They can be a nightmare to get.

Last year Canyon did a sale during the TDF. It might be worth holding off to see if they do the same again?

What is your current crank 170? 172.5?

And do you have big feet? Like size 10+

I'll come back to you later with Sizing advice!

• Advertisement

sin_26 wrote: »
    i am exactly 172cm with 79cm inseam and small will be very comfortable for you. Ive tried medium and xsmall and medium stackwise was comfy but tad to long reach with 100cm stem yet xsmall is more like race as u will be in quite closed position with bigger drop.
    In my opinion small will be spot on. Right in the middle.

Out of interest, as you have the same inseam, What is your saddle height from the centre of the BB to the saddle top (in line with the seat post, about 155mm from the end of the saddle nose, back? Or 120mm from the back of the saddle, forward?)

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭sin_26

Out of interest, as you have the same inseam, What is your saddle height from the centre of the BB to the saddle top (in line with the seat post, about 155mm from the end of the saddle nose, back? Or 120mm from the back of the saddle, forward?)

Its 71cm with 170cm crank arm.

sin_26 wrote: »
    Its 71cm with 170cm crank arm.

Cheers for coming back to me. I was curious as the OP's is 71.75 and I have an 80.50cm inseam, with a saddle height of 69.8 (70cm), as such I was wondering foot/shoe size.

I have a 170 crankset too.

I'm not hijacking the OP btw! This is just to help with the sizing (I'd defo go with S btw, but I'll explain that in a bit)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭jamesd

Couple of bits of advice before some questions!

Buy a spare rear hanger with the bike. They can be a nightmare to get.

Last year Canyon did a sale during the TDF. It might be worth holding off to see if they do the same again?

What is your current crank 170? 172.5?

And do you have big feet? Like size 10+

I'll come back to you later with Sizing advice!

Oh that's worth waiting for then as I'm in no major rush.

Current is 172.5

Size 44 shoe so 9.5 isn't that I think.

Current is 172.5

Size 44 shoe so 9.5 isn't that I think.

I don't know if anyone else can pitch in but that crank size is usually (as far as all my bike "looking" has shown) size M aka 54. And it is strange that the Endurace CF SLX suggests a 172.5 considering all their other S size are 170mm. Including the Endurace CF size "S"

You are defo suited to an S btw and the bike sizing "canyon issue" is down to the VCLS 2.0 seatpost.

The lines on that seat post dictate that it requires a minimum of 150mm exposed, minus a saddle. Most saddles are 50mm, so you are looking at 200mm + seat tube height from BB for a bike fit saddle height, if that makes sense.

The Endurace CF size S has a seat tube of 510+ 200 for the saddle = 710, which doesn't compute (or rather didn't) in their bike fit algorithm. And by didn't compute I mean no one in Canyon ever noticed it, until me and i'd imagine a lot of their customers pointed it out.

The bike you are looking at has a seat post of 492mm at size S so you will be sorted on the back end and way more suited on the front end, than if you went for the XS. You'd be quite bunched up on the XS IMO.

I take a Canyon S (borderline XS) on the Ultimate AL and CF SLX. I do use the VCLS 2.0 seatpost and I have it buried about 10mm past the minimum insertion line, but it still maintains the qualities I bought/them for.

All the above aside, and it is your money... I have no idea why Canyon decided to make an Endurace CF SLX. it has no pedigree and no real bargain value that Canyon was renowned for, and is losing.

The Ultimate CF SLX size S has a 10cm lower stack and 10 cm shorter top tube, and is super comfortable on long spins, with conti 25mm tyres.

The Canyon Inflite is equal to the endurance in comfort, and tbh that should have been the one they made a carbon version of, IMO.

Sorry for the long post!

EDIT [my size stats] 170 cm in height, 80.5cm inseam. 65cm arm length, 41,4 shoulder width. 57cm torso. And I upgraded from a 90mm to a 110mm stem due to my bike fit.

I can't comment on upgrading the Stem on an Endurace as it might defeat the "comfort" reason/position.

You are more than welcome to throw your leg over my Canyon for sizing reasons.

• Advertisement

The good news is that you can't really go wrong in that you can exchange the bike if its not right (you have to pay shipping again on the new bike).

How does the stack and reach on your Cube compare with the stack and reach on the XS and S Canyon?

The head tube is shorter (as you'd expect) on the smaller bike which might be an issue if your flexibility isn't fantastic

My stack on the cube is 540 and the reach is 385, the cube in small says stack is 557 and the reach is 376.
    XS shows as stack 532 and reach 370

I don't know if anyone else can pitch in but that crank size is usually (as far as all my bike "looking" has shown) size M aka 54. And it is strange that the Endurace CF SLX suggests a 172.5 considering all their other S size are 170mm. Including the Endurace CF size "S"

You are defo suited to an S btw and the bike sizing "canyon issue" is down to the VCLS 2.0 seatpost.

The lines on that seat post dictate that it requires a minimum of 150mm exposed, minus a saddle. Most saddles are 50mm, so you are looking at 200mm + seat tube height from BB for a bike fit saddle height, if that makes sense.

The Endurace CF size S has a seat tube of 510+ 200 for the saddle = 710, which doesn't compute (or rather didn't) in their bike fit algorithm. And by didn't compute I mean no one in Canyon ever noticed it, until me and i'd imagine a lot of their customers pointed it out.

The bike you are looking at has a seat post of 492mm at size S so you will be sorted on the back end and way more suited on the front end, than if you went for the XS. You'd be quite bunched up on the XS IMO.

I take a Canyon S (borderline XS) on the Ultimate AL and CF SLX. I do use the VCLS 2.0 seatpost and I have it buried about 10mm past the minimum insertion line, but it still maintains the qualities I bought/them for.

All the above aside, and it is your money... I have no idea why Canyon decided to make an Endurace CF SLX. it has no pedigree and no real bargain value that Canyon was renowned for, and is losing.

The Ultimate CF SLX size S has a 10cm lower stack and 10 cm shorter top tube, and is super comfortable on long spins, with conti 25mm tyres.

The Canyon Inflite is equal to the endurance in comfort, and tbh that should have been the one they made a carbon version of, IMO.

Sorry for the long post!

EDIT [my size stats] 170 cm in height, 80.5cm inseam. 65cm arm length, 41,4 shoulder width. 57cm torso. And I upgraded from a 90mm to a 110mm stem due to my bike fit.

I can't comment on upgrading the Stem on an Endurace as it might defeat the "comfort" reason/position.

You are more than welcome to throw your leg over my Canyon for sizing reasons.

Your very close to my size/height - where about are you ? I'm from Galway / work in Athlone.

A friend of mine made the same comment about value in the endurance and told me to ignore the cf slx and look at the ENDURACE CF 9.0 SL instead for €2900 with dura ace or the ENDURACE CF 9.0 ultegra DI2 for €2700 as he said they are better value.
    I see their slightly sizes are different to the Cf slx and their stack is 556 and reach is 373.(small bit different)

Your very close to my size/height - where about are you ? I'm from Galway / work in Athlone.

A friend of mine made the same comment about value in the endurance and told me to ignore the cf slx and look at the ENDURACE CF 9.0 SL instead for €2900 with dura ace or the ENDURACE CF 9.0 ultegra DI2 for €2700 as he said they are better value.
    I see their slightly sizes are different to the Cf slx and their stack is 556 and reach is 373.(small bit different)

I'd defo go for the Endurace CF with the Di2 over the new CF SLX one. Way better value and all the benefits, bar the lack of disc brakes, which is all the new Endurace CF SLX brings to the table, plus a huge and unexplained price rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

I'd defo go for the Endurace CF with the Di2 over the new CF SLX one. Way better value and all the benefits, bar the lack of disc brakes, which is all the new Endurace CF SLX brings to the table, plus a huge and unexplained price rise.

They've also applied some of the aero features from the new Ultimate CF SLX like the cockpit and the seat post clamp, but I agree that the price rise is unjustified. FWIW I have the Endurace CF 8.0 (so 105 and DT Swiss wheels) and find it great, but can't contribute to the specific sizing questions here as I'm on the XL frame!

Not sure if the bike you are after is included, but..

TDF Sale

Not sure if the bike you are after is included, but..

TDF Sale

Thank you, I'm unsure which bike I should be going for but I know I want a new bike :) , I decided today that if I see a good deal in this sale I will purchase.
    A friend of mine also said that canyon do a 12% discount if you have a racing license - have you ever heard of this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Thank you, I'm unsure which bike I should be going for but I know I want a new bike :) , I decided today that if I see a good deal in this sale I will purchase.
    A friend of mine also said that canyon do a 12% discount if you have a racing license - have you ever heard of this ?

Is this what you're referring to, by any chance? None of the Endurace models seem to be eligible, unfortunately, possibly by virtue of them being aimed more at the sportive market than racers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Google ' canyon discount racing licence' more info on this on other boards threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Don't mean to hijack the thread but this bike gives you what you are looking for, including Di2 for €3,200 - significant saving:

https://www.rosebikes.com/bike/xeon-cdx-3100-di2/aid:820865

You can also customise it if you want the 52/36 crankset you had on the Canyon - at no extra cost.

Fian wrote: »
    Don't mean to hijack the thread but this bike gives you what you are looking for, including Di2 for €3,200 - significant saving:

https://www.rosebikes.com/bike/xeon-cdx-3100-di2/aid:820865

You can also customise it if you want the 52/36 crankset you had on the Canyon - at no extra cost.

How would it compare to the canyon endurance? I see even spec the Rose with mavic's and better handlebars and it comes to less than €4000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

How would it compare to the canyon endurance? I see even spec the Rose with mavic's and better handlebars and it comes to less than €4000

I have that model Rose, I love it. I haven't ridden a canyon to compare though. Spec is broadly equivalent. I love Di2 and the hydraullic disc brakes. Very comfortable geometry, but it still accelerates quickly.

I am heavy so I changed the rear derailleur to a long cage and changed the cassette to include a 32 tooth granny gear, though tbh I would rarely if ever go into it, just really on the steep climb past lough bray. If I recall correctly those changes were also free.

I notice the canyon is a few 100 grams lighter, which would make no difference at all to me at 90 kgs, but if you are 60kgs or something might matter to you.

Also matte black and blue is the only colour scheme to consider imo, not the shiny black and red one.

Rose took a long time to deliver though, 2 months or so. I don't know what their current waiting list is. If you order from them apply for a "rose card" first/open an account with them and you get credit for their shop, €60 or so I think.

the wheels are good, no need to change them for Mavics imo. Though again i have not ridden Mavics and i guess the €1k ext6ra price must buy you something.

Edit: Rose Also uses Thru-axles which mean you don't worry about disc rotor rub. Don't know if the Canyon does, it is worth having thru axles imo. Still easy to change wheel, though probably not as fast in a race as quick release skewer - you have to screw in/unscrew teh thru axle onto a thread. No tools needed.

Well worth a look at, I will be watching the canyon sale though as maybe it will make be good.

The canyon I want (cf slx in the orange) has a 2 months waiting list on it too, the bit lighter weight does not matter to me either at 80kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Anto12

Looking at either the Ultimate CF or Endurance CF 7.0 or 9.0 in XS so hopefully will get something in the sale ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Anto12 wrote: »
    Looking at either the Ultimate CF or Endurance CF 7.0 or 9.0 in XS so hopefully will get something in the sale ...

Did you have a look in the outlet section you might find a good deal on an xs bike

Was it €300 last year that was reduced from bike prices ? Read that online

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Anto12

Some good deals in the Outlet section too.. Keeping an eye out on both ..

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Fian wrote: »
    Rose Also uses Thru-axles which mean you don't worry about disc rotor rub. Don't know if the Canyon does, it is worth having thru axles imo. Still easy to change wheel, though probably not as fast in a race as quick release skewer - you have to screw in/unscrew teh thru axle onto a thread. No tools needed.
    FWIW I have a Cannondale Synapse Disc without through-axles and have never experienced rotor rub or problems fitting wheels, despite expecting to. It's quicker than with rim brakes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

Shame was hoping something in my (lower) price bracket for an endurance....

Advertisement