Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible to get details on when an account opened and closed?

Options
  • 26-06-2016 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭

I put up some free tickets for a concert last week and offered them to a user and went to the trouble and expense of posting them to this user and on pm-ing them to ask how it went etc it seems like they've closed their account and perhaps only set one up to get the free tickets. I hope people are nicer than that and I've got it wrong. If I give an admin the username by PM can you tell me account was set up/closed and indeed if they reregistered? I would be peed off if I thought someone took the tickets to profit from them.

What drew my attention is that I only noticed the user has 0 posts. I'm hoping I have it all wrong

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

I highly doubt it. Even though the user in question has zero posts, our Administrators are bound by the DPA and the release of information regarding any account other than your own would be a breach of said Act.

It would be a different story if you had bought tickets and they turned out to be fake, or other such criminal activity had occurred, and even in such a case, the Gardaí have a set procedure that they must follow before information from any boards.ie account can be disclosed.

I know it's not the answer you had hoped for, but I'll double-check with Niamh from the office and ask her to confirm the above. However, I'm almost certain that the DPA prevents us from just giving away information on other people's accounts, no matter how long they've been open for, or how many posts they've made (or not, as the case may be).

-Shield.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Thanks, but this is literally dates - it's not personal information about the individual. I already have that, but that's not what I care about. I care more that someone saw them going abegging and opened up an account with the sole purpose of asking for the tickets, as I say they had 0 posts but only spotted it later.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Sorry, the answer is No.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Sorry, the answer is No.

tHB

Can I ask why?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

You're asking for information on another boards.ie account that doesn't belong to you. It doesn't matter what that information is; date of registration and date of closing still count as information about the account. Boards.ie is bound by the Data Protection Act, and we simply cannot disclose any information about a boards.ie account to anyone else except the account holder. Any information means any information.

A Site Admin has said No, and I've provided you with a fair and straightforward explanation spelling out why we can't give you the information you want. Can you please just let it go? Please?

-Shield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

vicwatson wrote: »
    Can I ask why?

For the reasons Shield kindly gave.

tHB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement