Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unreturned deposit from now deceased landlord.

Options
  • 26-06-2016 9:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭

Hi. I was in the process of trying to get my deposit returned from my landlord for over a month after moving out. He kept forgetting to send it as he agreed to.

However I've learned that he passed away recently, and of course I'm not going to chase it up for the moment.

What is the correct procedure from here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Jan Laco wrote: »
    Hi. I was in the process of trying to get my deposit returned from my landlord for over a month after moving out. He kept forgetting to send it as he agreed to.

However I've learned that he passed away recently, and of course I'm not going to chase it up for the moment.

His estate will owe you the deposit, you may have to wait for his will/inheritance to be sorted out. In the meantime, confirm that he has actually passed away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Start an RTB claim against him. His personal rep will have to sort it out eventually.

4ensic15 wrote: »
    Start an RTB claim against him. His personal rep will have to sort it out eventually.

What? Are you for real? The man is dead, there isn't a "personal rep" until the will is read/goes to probate. Any claim would be against his estate, not an individual.

davo10 wrote: »
    What? Are you for real? The man is dead, there isn't a "personal rep" until the will is read/goes to probate. Any claim would be against his estate, not an individual.

The key issue is to have a claim in being and a per rep on notice when a per rep is appointed. The o/p may qualify for damages for wrongful withholding of the deposit from the estate ultimately. There may be a personal rep if there is a will. Devolution takes place immediately on death if the is a will. Distribution van't take place until after a grant of probate.

4ensic15 wrote: »
    The key issue is to have a claim in being and a per rep on notice when a per rep is appointed. The o/p may qualify for damages for wrongful withholding of the deposit from the estate ultimately. There may be a personal rep if there is a will. Devolution takes place immediately on death if the is a will. Distribution van't take place until after a grant of probate.

Damages because the deposit wasn't returned on account of the LL dying? I can only assume you are joking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Damages because the deposit wasn't returned on account of the LL dying? I can only assume you are joking.

OP has told us that s/he was trying to get it returned for over a month beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

OP has told us that s/he was trying to get it returned for over a month beforehand.

I'm assuming if the LL is now deceased there may have been extenuating circumstances such as a fatal illness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

I'm assuming if the LL is now deceased there may have been extenuating circumstances such as a fatal illness

Business is business. Landlord wouldn't have let him stay for free if he was ill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Should the OP just forgo their deposit because someone passed away?

I dont think so.

Should the OP just forgo their deposit because someone passed away?

I dont think so.

No but they should not be looking for damages that is just ridiculous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

No but they should not be looking for damages that is just ridiculous

The o/p was entitled to the prompt return of the deposit. What if the o/p had no deposit for other accomodation and had to sleep in a pigsty?or have to pawn his family heirlooms?

The o/p was entitled to the prompt return of the deposit. What if the o/p had no deposit for other accomodation and had to sleep in a pigsty?or have to pawn his family heirlooms?

Then they would have been more proactive about getting it back from the landlord in the first place and been contacting on a daily basis not finding out some time later about the LL passing

Then they would have been more proactive about getting it back from the landlord in the first place and been contacting on a daily basis not finding out some time later about the LL passing

He was trying to get it for over a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭jsd1004

On the same note if your tenant dies are you entitled to chase his estate/family for unpaid rent/bills etc

jsd1004 wrote: »
    On the same note if your tenant dies are you entitled to chase his estate/family for unpaid rent/bills etc

Yes. But the claim has to be made within 28 days of the tenant dying. The duty is on the landlord to return the, not on the tenant to chase it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

You will have to deal with the executors of your landlords will. They are in charge of his estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Jaysus ya cant even die in peace in this country any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

dashoonage wrote: »

If the OP needs the deposit for another property, if the landlord is dead or not, there entitled to it back. You can't put your life on hold, even because of this unfortunate incident.

Actually you were never able to die in peace. You may rest in peace but if you have financial affairs that need sorting, they still need sorting, by someone, after your death.

The utility companies will still be looking to be paid etc..

You will have to deal with the executors of your landlords will. They are in charge of his estate.

There may not be a will, or executors!

• Advertisement

There may not be a will, or executors!

There will still be a representative of the estate.

This was a landlord, so he owned an asset. So there is an estate.

There will still be a representative of the estate.

This was a landlord, so he owned an asset. So there is an estate.

If someone takes out a grant of administration there would be an administrator, not an executor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

In fairness, the tenant needs the money more than the landlord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Jan Laco

Can you show me the lapses in how I was not proactive enough in getting the deposit back. How many conversations had I with the landlord? I asked here because I knew there would be knowledgeable people <mod snip: no need for sarcasm >

If it was as simple as the landlord owing me money, I would not follow it up after his death.
    But the fact is my deposit is my money, which he held until he was supposed to return it. The money was never his.

Thank you. I don't know how I can get in touch or at what point? I don't want to get in touch with his family in a time like this. He wasn't registered with the PRTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Thank you. I don't know how I can get in touch or at what point? I don't want to get in touch with his family in a time like this. He wasn't registered with the PRTB.
    I infer that the LL died at least a week ago. You might feel that it is a bit early to get in touch with his family, but my opinion is that it is not. Once the funeral has been held, somebody in the family will have to step up to the plate and deal with business matters. That person is likely to be the nominated executor (if there is a will) or the individual who will in due course apply for a "Grant of Administration" (if there is no will).

It's very awkward for you to be without your money, and you might have to wait more than a year for things to be sorted out, but that's how things work when a person dies owing money. But you do need them to know that you are owed the money.

If you are lucky, the family might be willing and able to pay you sooner, but don't make planes based on that possibility.

That is why a complaint should go to the RTB. They will write to the landlord and his per reps will open the letter and get the ball rolling. They will deal with the RTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

why don't you send a registered post to the estate of the land lord

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭utmbuilder

I think you should get to grips with the high probability you wont get the deposit back.

Advertisement