Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where's a good place to get wheels built?

Options
  • 26-06-2016 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭

I'm considering getting a set of carbon rims here in Beijing and having some wheels built back in Ireland-I'm looking to use DT Swiss hubs and they are hard to get over here, so I'm going to wait until I'm back home to get the wheels made. Just wondering if anyone has any recommended shops or people that will be able to build a good set of wheels. These would be wheels for disc brakes. Somewhere in or around Dublin would be handiest (Naas/Newbridge area even better). Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

Bee Cycles has been recommended few times here in similar threads previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭lethal dose

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭kingoffifa

+1 for this guy. Sound out to deal with. Always on time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Cliff in 2 Wheels on South William St.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

I have used Humphries Cycles in Finglas - They do custom wheel builds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Fender76

+1 on Cliff

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

I would second that. Had a set of Dura Ace/Open Pro wheels built by him years ago and they're still going strong.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was told in humphries less than an hour ago that they typically charge about €35 for a rebuild.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

i was told in humphries less than an hour ago that they typically charge about €35 for a rebuild.

Is that good or bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭granty1987

Have you considered building them yourself? Takes a bit of time to work out the details but once you have everything, its an enjoyable process. First wheel is a bit slow, but you get the hang of it a lot quicker for the second.

I didnt really do it for the scrimping as I wanted to know more about how a wheel works for truing it in the future. I didnt have any fancy equipment, just a spoke wrench, a bike stand that I borrowed, grease and some cotton wool buds with the wool removed (which was really bloody handy)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭nailik

Cliff is the man

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

granty1987 wrote: »
    Have you considered building them yourself? Takes a bit of time to work out the details but once you have everything, its an enjoyable process. First wheel is a bit slow, but you get the hang of it a lot quicker for the second.

I didnt really do it for the scrimping as I wanted to know more about how a wheel works for truing it in the future. I didnt have any fancy equipment, just a spoke wrench, a bike stand that I borrowed, grease and some cotton wool buds with the wool removed (which was really bloody handy)

No, though it's not a bad idea. Might be good to start with something relatively inexpensive though-I'm looking for a pretty decent set of wide carbon-rimmed wheels and they will have disc brakes, so I reckon if I was to start my wheel building with that sort of set-up, it might not go too well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

i was told in humphries less than an hour ago that they typically charge about 35 for a rebuild.

Is that good or bad?

Fairly reasonable I would have thought, it's a skilled job that takes a while, remember that you have to stick the spoke cost on top of that too if you are bringing hub and rim in (and multiply by 2).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

granty1987 wrote: »

The Professional Guide to Wheelbuilding costs a tenner and includes plans for a wheel truing stand. I built mine out of an old cupboard and spent around a fiver on bolts and wingnuts...

Advertisement