Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

W10 Stupid Question?

• 26-06-2016 9:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭

This may be a stupid question and I know that you can upgrade for free until the end of next month but, if I want to do a complete clean install from a W10 ISO to a new SSD, is it simply a case of purchasing a W10 key from Amazon.de for €22 to activate it legitimately? Thanks Mav

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Upgrade now and when you put the ssd in the pc will remain activated.No need to spend money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Mav11

mp22 wrote: »
    Upgrade now and when you put the ssd in the pc will remain activated.No need to spend money.

Thanks mp22, but its a laptop that I have, without a HDD and thus no operating system. So instead of trying to find an old OS, Win7 etc, to put on to the SSD and then upgrade I thought I might go down the legit route :) Less hassel and for €22, not bad. Will it work? Mav

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

What os did the laptop come with first day?

mp22 wrote: »
    What os did the laptop come with first day?

I suspect Win 7. It's a recycled corporate laptop from which they remove the HDD before they sell them on to staff, so I couldn't get the original disks for the OS hence the need for a brand new install! Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Ask your IT department for an OEM install disk. I literally have them coming out my ears for Dell machines.
    No HDD doesn't equal no licence. The OEM activation is tied to the BIOS / mother board (on Dells at least) so you only need to get the OEM install disk.
    Then do your upgrade to Win 10 for free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Edit; I'm a dumbass.

You can give what d31b0y says a go, you might get lucky that it auto-activates.

If it doesn't, no biggie, you can purchase a key as you've described.

I've done as above with a number of Dell machines in recent months. All seemed to upgrade and activate successfully. Just used any of the x64 Win 7 OEM disks that I have.

Thanks d31b0y and Seamus, I've done that in the past with OEM install disks. I just can't believe that a brand new, clean install of W10 pro, can be done for €22, without install disks. A new copy of XP home cost over €100 back in the day, if I remember right? Mav

Where are you getting it for €22? Win 10 pro retails at 199 dollars.

Mav11 wrote: »
    This may be a stupid question and I know that you can upgrade for free until the end of next month but, if I want to do a complete clean install from a W10 ISO to a new SSD, is it simply a case of purchasing a W10 key from Amazon.de for €22 to activate it legitimately? Thanks Mav

Hi d31b0y

Back to first principles:):). That was my original question. If I have the ISO and buy an unlock key from Amazon for €22 do I have a legitimate, activated copy of W10?

Mav

• Advertisement

Depends what key you are buying. €22 is very cheap for a legit key.
    I see some OEM licences available for about that price. I don't want to mislead you with false information because I am not an expert but I was under the impression that OEM licences should only be sold with equipment rather than on it's own.
    I'm not sure what the legallity is surrounding selling OEM licences seperately or whether it would continue working into the future.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

d31b0y wrote: »
    Depends what key you are buying. €22 is very cheap for a legit key.
    I see some OEM licences available for about that price. I don't want to mislead you with false information because I am not an expert but I was under the impression that OEM licences should only be sold with equipment rather than on it's own.
    I'm not sure what the legallity is surrounding selling OEM licences seperately or whether it would continue working into the future.

You can buy them legally if you are a system builder, but not otherwise.

€22 for a Win10 Pro key sounds extremely suspect to me, it might work but you'd have no guarantee of it not being revoked in future.

Edited to add: See here for the System Builder licence terms, and note that they specifically preclude buying a licence for a system being built for personal use.

Thanks everybody. Seemed a bit too good to be true to me also, hence the request for a second opinion!! As you say Fysh you could pay your money and take your chances! Mav

Advertisement