Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Forge - Lusk

Options
  • 26-06-2016 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hello fellow Boardsies,

I've had a good search through here and saw other threads on the topic. Alot of the feedback seems good, I had a couple of questions that I wanted to get input from more people on (preferably those familiar with the development, commute and the community).

* How busy is the train in the morning?
    We would be planning on keeping our child in the current creche that we use and so we would probably be commuting as a family by train every morning until such time as she can attend the educate together school. Is there anyone else doing this?
    My intention was to visit there as soon as I can get a day off and try the commute - I just can't do this right now.

* Is driving to Grand Canal / Dublin city center a real option?
    My understanding is that it would be almost undoable without going through the port tunnel. With the cost involved it may not be feasible (I thought I saw something about 10euro each way at some times), in addition to having a child sit in traffic - its not good for anyone :).
    I wouldn't mind carpooling with other people but given that the family will probably travel with me - that could rule it out.

* The community
    For those of you that have bought there already, how do you like it? Are there many young families? I've driven around several times but didn't see anyone and so I was curious about this. I really like the are but I would like to have an environment where my kids can make friends etc.

* Speed of sale
    These houses are listed for a long time now. I'm wondering why they are not all sold.
    Are people not willing to offer the asking price?
    I would assume that the asking price is also negotiable considering they are listed for 2+ years?

Any other feedback or advice that you could provide would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

How's it going, I'm living in the forge lusk at the moment and commute into town not too far from Grand Canal.

Train in the mornings isn't too bad really, I gte the 7.40 that goes to grand canal dock and Lansdowne and a few after that. Not always a seat no it but generally there's plenty of room getting on at Rush and Lusk. Train coming home can be busy but generally if you get on in Pearse you will normally get a seat. Definitely a bit quieter now over the summer.

I drive in a few days of the week but am on the road early. You would want to be leaving around 6.30 at the latest, I leave earlier to go gym on way in. Normally miss most of the traffic. Traffic coming home can be bad though and I would be finishing work at 4. Would take around 1hr 15 to get home on average. I don't go the port tunnel, go to Whitehall, down Collins avenue and then into town through Fairview and over the Sean O'Casey bridge.

Seems to be a few young families in the estate. The road I'm living on has a few kids on it, most would be under 4 though. Lot of younger couples living in the houses too so over time would probably be more kids. The area itself is grand, there was some break in's into cars recently but that seems to have passed. Seemed to only break in if something was in view. Other than that the estate is very quiet. No real kids hanging around, they tend to do that in the park and up near supervalu and we have had no problems at all.

I think them ads are permanently on daft. They are only building houses as they sell them and are nearly finished the next bunch at the moment. The site has been quiet for the last while with most of the builders on another site. When we bought we missed the end of one phase and got a house in the next phase. It took over a year to be built and there was no budging on the price at all. From what I have seen they have had no problems selling them so don't think there is much negotiation on the price. The planning permission recently changed to and they are looking to build more of the 4 bed semi's over the rest of the estate, only slightly larger than a 3 bed but more expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭captain caveman

Hi Joey!

Can I ask, is there much noise from your next door neighbours (Obviously there'd be a bit of noise, they're human after all) but do you hear it much? We're in another estate in Lusk and it's like they're talking at the bottom of the bed some nights. We're looking at trading up, but wanted to check a few places for this particular issue.

@Caveman, we are lucky enough with our neighbours that they seem to work shift so don't be in the house a whole lot.

The way the houses are layed out though the 2 halls are side by side, no joining sitting rooms and only small part of kitchen. Upstairs it's the front bedroom and ensuite that share a wall. Sometimes we can hear their ensuite but overall it's pretty quiet. Not sure how much of this is down to them being quiet though and the house.

Any other questions about the houses or the estate just let me know, I'll do my best to answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

Hey there, I also live in the forge in one of the 3 bed semis. We rarely hear the neighbors and they are there all the time. It's only if they're hammering, doing some DIY etc. We never hear them talking, watching tv etc The sound proofing between the semi's is pretty good IMO.

On our street there is a load of young kids (less than 6yr olds mostly) so they'll grow up together including our own. There is no problems with gangs of kids hanging around so far. Most of the families are young enough so are at work during the days so it's pretty quiet. During the weekends there a few more out and about.

As for transport I got the 8.10 train for a year or so into tara street and it was fine, always standing room but no seats, and it took about 40min to get there. There is also the fingal express bus that goes from right outside the estate that might be of use. I wouldn't even think about driving myself.

Usually I'm on the motorbike into town these days. 30min commute to Pearse street from Lusk. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭dzwx

joey100 wrote: »
    From what I have seen they have had no problems selling them so don't think there is much negotiation on the price.

Really?
    Was the last phase launched yet?according to ppr there was only 4 houses sold in 2016

• Advertisement

I moved in in 2015. There was around 10 houses on my road all sold. Since then they have started on the next phase, initially around 6 houses and then another road of again about 10 houses. I'd guess that most of them houses were sold from the plans in 2015 and that the ones from 2016 are the last of the phase just built. Building has slowed down over the last few months, all the builders moved to another site they have to begin work. The last few houses they completed are only just having people move into them now and they don't seem to have started the next phase yet. I don't know if this is because houses haven't sold yet or they are concentrating on their new site (not sure where this is). Over the last few phases they started the next phase before people had moved into the completed houses so this time it's a bit slower. They do seem to be building more 4 bed semi's in this phase and don't think there was any 3 bed semi's included. I think they applied for a change to planning permission for the rest of the estate to raise the number of 4 bed's so this could be another reason for the delay. There has definitely been a slow down in the building so there may be some room for negotiation in the price but up to know the only one's that seem to take long to sell are the four bed detached. Lovely houses and good size gardens, just tend to have a lot of manhole's in the gardens and the garden wall is very open or bordering the path on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Slab_Murphy

I recently went out to Lusk to view property in the area. The forge in particular. I don't see where the value for money is in these houses. Not much room for 2 cars per household. Long winding entrances to the estates, no open spaces in front of the property's etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭sk8board

Have lived in Lusk for over 12 years and can definitely comment on the sense of community - pretty much all my good friends would be from the neighbourhood at this stage and you always bump into someone you know.
    As for the forge, they need to finish the 2nd entrance - the current entrance opens onto the bypass; if you're turning right towards Dublin, it can be a wait, in my experience (generally, there are no traffic delays in Lusk, ever).

Btw, I commute through the tunnel each day - I had been going around the m50. I just gave up takeaway coffees instead 😠Life's too short

Advertisement