Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What paperwork is needed to buy a car and to take out insurance? Do I need an Irish b

• 26-06-2016 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

We have just moved to Ireland. Can we buy a car and take out insurance etc. without having a PPSN or Irish bank account? If we buy from a car dealer what information will we need to provide? At the moment we only have Swedish bank accounts. Will that be a problem or can we proceed to get a car? We can transfer money from our Swedish account to the dealer's account so we don't need a loan. I want to make sure I have everything in order when we go to the dealership because getting there is tricky. We can't open Irish bank accounts until we have a utility bill which we are in the process of getting. The earliest appointment to get our PPSNs sorted is a month away. We are renting in a somewhat rural location so we desperately need to get wheels sorted! Any advice would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Cicilulu wrote: »
    We have just moved to Ireland. Can we buy a car and take out insurance etc. without having a PPSN or Irish bank account? If we buy from a car dealer what information will we need to provide? At the moment we only have Swedish bank accounts. Will that be a problem or can we proceed to get a car? We can transfer money from our Swedish account to the dealer's account so we don't need a loan. I want to make sure I have everything in order when we go to the dealership because getting there is tricky. We can't open Irish bank accounts until we have a utility bill which we are in the process of getting. The earliest appointment to get our PPSNs sorted is a month away. We are renting in a somewhat rural location so we desperately need to get wheels sorted! Any advice would be much appreciated!

Yes, you can buy a car, register it in your name and insure it, once you're resident here, even if you don't have PPS issued yet.
    Fact that you moved here with intention to stay is most likely enough to prove that you are resident here.

Buying a car off dealer will be no problem - they surely can accept cash, card, or bank transfer.

Obtaining insurance will be bit more difficult. Expect it to be a hard and difficult proces.
    Many insurers will probably refuse to insure you as a person who just moved to Ireland. Many won't accept your no claims discount from Sweden.
    You'll just have to do planty of shopping around, but it's still going to be hard and expensive. I don't know what you paid for insurance in Sweden but expect to pay multiple times that here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

My advice is get insurance quotes before buying any car. Car insurance is very expensive in this country so you don't want to end up buying a car and then finding out you cannot afford to insure it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

You might as well bring your Swedish car with you, and use it for a while.
    For first 6 months, you most likely can do it legally.

Advertisement