Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Martial arts for parent and child

Options
  • 26-06-2016 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi I was wondering if anybody knew of any clubs that would train adults and children classes together?
    I would like to train with my 12 year old son is there any clubs on northside of Dublin that would have these classes available any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

jammybhoy wrote: »
    Hi I was wondering if anybody knew of any clubs that would train adults and children classes together?
    I would like to train with my 12 year old son is there any clubs on northside of Dublin that would have these classes available any suggestions?

What style are you thinking about?.. Or even if you can break it down to striking (boxing, kickboxing, karate), grappling (Judo, BJJ, wrestling etc) or self defense (Krav Maga, combatives?).

In experience is that you'll rarely find a mixed class of adults and juniors, but you will find clubs who'll take both at different training times.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭SVJKarate

. . . . any suggestions?

SVJ Karate Club in Fairview offers both adult and children's classes, and it is not unusual for parents to train in the junior class with their children (in the same class, but we do not pair the child with their parent throughout the class as this hinders the proper development of both parent and child)

We have also cases where the parent and child train together in the adult class, but usually the child must be at least 13. The junior class includes a strong element of fun to try keep the kids interested, but the adult class requires a greater level of maturity.

That's the good news. The bad news is that we have a waiting list for admission as we limit the number that can train to ensure everybody has space to move properly, but see our webpage and contact the club to get on the waiting list. The website (is in my signature also) gives full details.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 jammybhoy

Thank you both for reply.... My son has a TKD backround WTF so would ideally like him to try something were he can use his hands and upper body I'm not that fussy as long as we can train in same class will look at website SVJ as your not far from me at all.. I guess whatever we decide to do he will probably show me up anyway haha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Thank you both for reply.... My son has a TKD backround WTF so would ideally like him to try something were he can use his hands and upper body I'm not that fussy as long as we can train in same class will look at website SVJ as your not far from me at all.. I guess whatever we decide to do he will probably show me up anyway haha

I've a teens/adults beginner kickboxing class. He's just about a teen so there would be issue with you training together at my place in Glasnevin/Finglas

Monday form 7.30-8.30pm
    Friday 8.30-9.30pm

Jon

• Registered Users Posts: 28 jammybhoy

yomchi wrote: »
    I've a teens/adults beginner kickboxing class. He's just about a teen so there would be issue with you training together at my place in Glasnevin/Finglas

Monday form 7.30-8.30pm
    Friday 8.30-9.30pm

Jon
    Sounds good wereabouts in glasnevin is there a website I can check photo's fees etc

• Advertisement

Sounds good wereabouts in glasnevin is there a website I can check photo's fees etc

Send me an email there and I'll send you on the details.

The website is in my signature.

jon[at]redstar[dot].ie

If you're near Raheny you could consider St Paul's Karate Club

They may have a shorter waiting list than we do, and since we're all friends in karate we will not be offended if you opt to join them rather than us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 presque

Don't you think 24 years old is not to late for someone to learn martial arts just for self defense purposes?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,005 ✭✭✭cletus

presque wrote: »
    Don't you think 24 years old is not to late for someone to learn martial arts just for self defense purposes?

Sorry, the double negative in your post is confusing me. Are you saying it is too late or it isn't too late

Twenty four?.. Sure you're only a kid!.

Twenty four is perfectly fine for learning any martial art, absolutely grand.

• Advertisement

What an enlightening first post.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Nathan G

24 is a grand age to start. Sure i know a fair few people in their mid 50s who are starting off

Nathan G wrote: »
    24 is a grand age to start. Sure i know a fair few people in their mid 50s who are starting off

One of our students who started in his late forties reached his black belt in his mid-fifties and is still going strong. In our club 24 would be one of the younger adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Nathan G

SVJKarate wrote: »
    One of our students who started in his late forties reached his black belt in his mid-fifties and is still going strong. In our club 24 would be one of the younger adults.

Just goes to show its never to late!

SVJKarate wrote: »

And I was awarded my Judo black belt two weeks before my 50th birthday :D

And I was awarded my Judo black belt two weeks before my 50th birthday :D

Two great milestones in one month!!
    That must have been a great period of celebration :)

Advertisement