Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samba Oeukel

Options
  • 26-06-2016 12:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭

Hey all doing a fish dinner later and it calls for sambal Oeukel but have none, it says 1/2 tbsp, would 1/4 tap of chili flakes give the same heat as the sambal Oeukel?

Cheers in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

A heaped tsp should do it. But it depends on how hot you like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

A heaped tsp should do it. But it depends on how hot you like it.

But aren't chili's flakes not a whole lot hotter than sambal Oeukel

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I've had sambal that would have killed me if I put a tbsp in a dish, but would have been Ok with 2 tsp of chillie flakes. It depends on how hot your ingredients are & how hot you want your food. Based on general experience I would have thought that a heaped tsp would have done the job for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

I've had sambal that would have killed me if I put a tbsp in a dish, but would have been Ok with 2 tsp of chillie flakes. It depends on how hot your ingredients are & how hot you want your food. Based on general experience I would have thought that a heaped tsp would have done the job for you.

It's like a Korean fish dish bit of sweet and spicy

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

TBH most sambal oelek (not oeukel!) I've had has been pretty mild compared to the same volume of chilli flakes. It's pretty easy to get in most Asian stores as well if you have one nearby, they even occasionally have it in Lidl when they have one of their Asian weeks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement