Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike maintenance....what parts to Oil??

Options
  • 26-06-2016 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭

Hi... Am doing some maintenance on bike to get ready for ROK.

Have decreased Chain and rear cassette.
    Applied my Dry Lub and removed excess
    Gave bike a complete wash down and a good dry rub down
    Wheels nice and shiny
    Bodywork given a coat of Mr. sheen!!

I like to keep a 'Mean Machine' !!!!

Query... What parts should I apply OIL to ????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Chain primarily.

Cables where they go into housing or internal.

Possibly brake springs.

Most of the rest is greased rather than oiled.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭Masala

Idleater wrote: »
    Chain primarily.

Cables where they go into housing or internal.

Possibly brake springs.

Most of the rest is greased rather than oiled.

What else is greased??? Besides chain??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Masala wrote: »
    What else is greased??? Besides chain??

Bearings and freewheel spring to mind. If you have been at them well with water slash cycling in the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I usually put a drop of oil on the pivot points of both derailleurs. I let it sit for a minute and the wipe off any excess.

I also oil the jockey wheels when oiling the chain but I prefer to dismantle the cage and grease them when I have the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Lubricating the pivot points of the brake callipers is very important, especially on the rear one if the bike doesn't have mudguards - you can squirt in dry lube/dribble in oil or disassemble and apply grease if you want to go the whole way.

I'd also lubricate the rear derailleur's barrel adjuster and the limiter screws on both front and rear. Some frames also have barrel adjusters at the top of the down tube, and these need lubrication or you'll have issues using them after, say, a gear cable replacement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I'd also spray a bit of WD40 or GT85 into the shifter mechanism on the levers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭Masala

Have GT85 in my toolkit. Must try it as above.

Also... must look at the Brake Calipers as mentioned above as I tend to only look at the pads.

Many thanks for all the replies above....

Masala wrote: »
    Have GT85 in my toolkit. Must try it as above.

Also... must look at the Brake Calipers as mentioned above as I tend to only look at the pads.

Many thanks for all the replies above....
    Just be careful when lubricating the brake calipers than no lubricant gets on the pads or wheels. Ideally only lubricate the bike with the wheels removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭diarmaidol

Is this really wise, I was told unless you are having issues leave the STI shifter alone. Once you degrease them then you need to oil them constantly as you basically remove the thick grease put there on build. I think there is even a GCN vid on the same. I know WD40 isn't a degreaser but it's not exactly thick grease either.

diarmaidol wrote: »
    Is this really wise, I was told unless you are having issues leave the STI shifter alone. Once you degrease them then you need to oil them constantly as you basically remove the thick grease put there on build. I think there is even a GCN vid on the same. I know WD40 isn't a degreaser but it's not exactly thick grease either.
    My LBS advised me to do so and it's something I've always done when cleaning any of the bikes. I don't ever recall heavy grease being there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement