Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City centre traffic mad due to Challenge Triathlon [Sunday 26th June]

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭endagibson

1. How is that your business
    2. How is this relevant to this discussion
    3. Why do you need to know
    4. Are you a member of the Internet police
    1. Probably about as much as the poor guard that was "bawled" at. Whatever, I wasn't the person who brought the children into it, he/she was.
    2. If the children are supervised, then the delay due to traffic doesn't matter.
    3. I don't need to know. However, it's a discussion forum and the facts of the matter sometimes make a difference. See point 2 above.
    4. No. :rolleyes:

Anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ok, back on track now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

You couldn't have if you tried: the drivers were under strict instructions not to let anyone on or off along the tri-route.

Just to be clear, I'm not anti events in the city. I accept that living in the inner city means I face traffic congestion, night-time road works outside my bedroom window, hours of listening to Rock the Docks and such like.

But I'm totally opposed to inadequate publicity. I'm starting to get more than a bit annoyed with the amount of things that I've experienced lately with no prior notice.

And I make no apologies for giving out about inadequate traffic management when better alternatives existed.

How should you have been communicated with? It seems there was a lot of publicity online, in newspapers etc as you live in the city centre the Digital displays wouldn't have been placed near you. Are you expecting a letter to everyone?

Genuine question.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

How should you have been communicated with? It seems there was a lot of publicity online, in newspapers etc as you live in the city centre the Digital displays wouldn't have been placed near you. Are you expecting a letter to everyone?

Genuine question.

Genuine answer:

Posters at bus stops and on the bus itself - like they do for other things which will cause a major service change. The digital displays don't cut it because they aren't at every stop, and hardly anyone looks at them because they are usually wrong.

People should have been warned before they got on that they would not be allowed off again until Bohermore. I watched some people who wanted to travel from Doughiska to Merlin Park (a very common journey on Sunday morning, as people do supermarket shopping) effectively held hostage on the bus for miles.

I, for one, didn't see ANY online publicity for the closures. And I'm a person who does follow and look for this. Granted I didn't see either of the local newspapers lasts week - but no one has been able to link to articles in them, either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

I was a marshal on the full ironman cycle route. I have to see that organisation was chaotic. Is this event coming back next year?

were all the marshalls volunteers ???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

Notch000 wrote: »
    were all the marshalls volunteers ???

A lot were taken from local GAA or Triathlon clubs. The clubs got money for providing volunteers. I have marshalled athletic events before but this one was very badly planned. Maybe that was the reason volunteers pulled out - it was difficult to gauge when/where and how long you were needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

A lot were taken from local GAA or Triathlon clubs. The clubs got money for providing volunteers. I have marshalled athletic events before but this one was very badly planned. Maybe that was the reason volunteers pulled out - it was difficult to gauge when/where and how long you were needed.

Some communication issues all around. I spoke with several volunteers who turned up to meetings to find the lcoation had been changed without getting any notice.

Some were new to triathlon and looking to experience it from a support point of view to get an idea of what to expect in their own first race, many were from established clubs and were disappointed with the level of organisation shown from the top.

Some club members were left very much on their own to make things like transition happen.

In all it seemed to be short staffed and not enough experience to go around the full team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

I, for one, didn't see ANY online publicity for the closures. And I'm a person who does follow and look for this. Granted I didn't see either of the local newspapers lasts week - but no one has been able to link to articles in them, either.

http://edition.pagesuite-professional.co.uk//launch.aspx?eid=097326ed-56e5-4f51-9313-1f24f656193c

Page 35&36

http://galwaybayfm.ie/traffic-information-challenge-galway-2016/

Very Quick Search

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Is this event coming back next year?

“This was the first year for Challenge Galway and we are very pleased with how the event ran...We are hoping that our first year will give merit to this being an annual event for Galway and the west,” said Liam Heavin of Challenge Galway.

( http://www.galwayindependent.com/news/topics/articles/2016/06/29/4122363-thousands-take-on-challenge-/ )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

J o e wrote: »
    “This was the first year for Challenge Galway and we are very pleased with how the event ran...We are hoping that our first year will give merit to this being an annual event for Galway and the west,” said Liam Heavin of Challenge Galway.

( http://www.galwayindependent.com/news/topics/articles/2016/06/29/4122363-thousands-take-on-challenge-/ )

They'll struggle to get enough volunteers next year methinks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement