Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you clean your bike?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I use "no more Dirty Bike", which I buy in Dealz. It's looks and seems to me to be pretty much the same as Muc Off, but is a fraction of the price.
    I spray it liberally on the bike, leave it for a couple of minutes and then wash the bike with a sponge and warm water. It works for me.
    Full disclosure: I wash my bike very often.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Hauki

oSgrelm.jpg

That's pretty much how it happens.

One spray-bottle of Muc-off, one spray bottle of water and some good degreaser-spray. Wet/dry lube for drivetrain depending on the season.

- wipe off excess stuff from frame with brush/towel/something
    - spray some water everywhere
    - spray some Muc-off everywhere
    - spray the drivetrain with degreaser
    - let it sit for 5mins
    - if the chain etc. is really dirty might go through it with brush separately
    - spray again with water
    - wipe clean and dry with old towel/t-shirt (dirty one for drivetrain and wheels, clean for frame etc)
    - lube drivetrain few hours later once its completely dry

Takes ~20mins all in all.

I do this pretty much after every ride if it's wet. Trick is not to let the dirt settle in, makes the maintenance and cleaning sooooo much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I use fairy liquid! Keeps my hands soft too! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭Thud

Careful with degreaser sprays around hub/cassette as it can get into the hub and remove the grease. Likewise with power washers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

I've always used a suitable rag damped with white spirits - wear gloves for safety. Cheap and effective, always some in the garage. Note :- damped not soaked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

No more dirty bike here too. Wet bike, spray it on, leave it while I fill a bucket. Then sponge clean. Rinse off with a hose.

I use the no more dirty bikes in my lidl chain cleaner too. I also clean the chain with a separate sponge, and then have one of those cassette cleaning brushes if it's really bad.

No idea if I do it right, but get slagged on club spins for my clean bike, chain and cassette so figure I'm not too far off the mark! Normally do it after every long weekend spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Washing up Liquid with Shimano Degreaser fpr the chain etc. Had been using it to clean the cassette as well which reading here isn't a good idea?

Started using sprays with Silicone in them to shine the bike, works a treat applied to a wet frame, leave for a few mins then buff off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Be careful with the braking surface of the wheels and the brake pads, that you don't get oil,or polish on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭Thud

dahat wrote: »
    Washing up Liquid with Shimano Degreaser fpr the chain etc. Had been using it to clean the cassette as well which reading here isn't a good idea?

Started using sprays with Silicone in them to shine the bike, works a treat applied to a wet frame, leave for a few mins then buff off.

Its ok if used carefully and not excessively on cassettes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭jamesd

Wait until it drys then a light brush of for the dust / pieces of dirt then I clean the frame and rims with baby wipes. Degrease the chain, clean the cassette with baby wipes too or if very dirty remove it and soak it in degreaser. No water used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Thud wrote: »
    Its ok if used carefully and not excessively on cassettes

I use an old brush and dab it on over one rotation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Fenwicks foaming degreaser. Good stuff. Spray it on the cassette and chain. Scrub both with a nylon brush, then rinse off with water. The rest of the bike I wash with warm soapy water (fairy liquid), rinse with water, then dry with a towel. Re-lube the chain and the jobs done!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Baby wipes. If it can remove poo, it can remove anything

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dunworth1

two sponges that might be an idea.

i was under the impression that if i sprayed muc off on it worked like magic and eveything just washed off :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

wench wrote:
    So if the landlord wants the tenant to agree to take over that work, it would be reasonable to provide the appropriate tools. Expecting each tenant of a property to buy their own mower would not be sensible, particularly when their next home may be a gardenless apartment.

My man Hubert takes care of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Badly

Advertisement