Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

purple sprouting broccoli - o.k. to eat leaves?

Options
  • 26-06-2016 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭

Planted some purple sprouting broccoli for the first time this spring. Plants are doing really well, but I won't get florets till next year.

The leaves are fairly large; will it be harmful to next year's florets to eat a few of the leaves this year? They're quite tasty, if you like that kind of thing (which we do.)

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Igotadose wrote: »
    Planted some purple sprouting broccoli for the first time this spring. Plants are doing really well, but I won't get florets till next year.

The leaves are fairly large; will it be harmful to next year's florets to eat a few of the leaves this year? They're quite tasty, if you like that kind of thing (which we do.)

Thanks!

yes this is perfectly fine and are sweet and tasty as yo have discovered!
    Although its more normal to eat them AFTER the florets have been harvested!

tip... pick the florets quickly as they soon bolt and go to seed.
    You get a bigger harvest with the purple ones but the whites are much sweeter, you dont generally see it in the shops as the plants are smaller, crop smaller and harvest is even shorter!

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

By all means eat the leaves, they contain much more nutrition than the flowers. This goes for cauliflowers too!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

yes this is perfectly fine and are sweet and tasty as yo have discovered!
    Although its more normal to eat them AFTER the florets have been harvested!

tip... pick the florets quickly as they soon bolt and go to seed.
    You get a bigger harvest with the purple ones but the whites are much sweeter, you dont generally see it in the shops as the plants are smaller, crop smaller and harvest is even shorter!

I am confused. I started with purchased seedlings this spring. I thought the florets don't show up till next year? Plants have been in for about 2 months, maybe 3. Quite vigorous but no signs of florets yet.

Advertisement