Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

phone insurance ?

Options
  • 26-06-2016 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

I need mobile insurance for 17 year girl. What are some good mobile phone insurance companies. u have to be 18 to insure your phone i know u can get insured under your parents name but how do u do that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,485 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I never bother with insurance.

Why pay up to €12 a month to insure a device worth a few hundred euro?

When you consider a car insruance policy for a few hundred a year insures you for millions.

Also, was with a colleague last week, who went to 3 shop to make a claim for a damaged screen on a Galaxy 6 and they gave her a form and said she'd have to pay a €70 fee for the claim. Total con.

I have also heard that places like Gadget insurance are very difficult to get a claim out of.

If you really want it you should check your house contents insurance.

I personally would take the chance, or save the €12-15 a month yourself and keep for the phone. Within 2 years you'd have €288- €360 saved which is probably the most insurance would give you anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

Mobile phone insurance is a scam, nothing more, nothing else. Don't pay it. You would be just throwing away good money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

murpho999 wrote: »
    I never bother with insurance.

Why pay up to €12 a month to insure a device worth a few hundred euro?

When you consider a car insruance policy for a few hundred a year insures you for millions.

Also, was with a colleague last week, who went to 3 shop to make a claim for a damaged screen on a Galaxy 6 and they gave her a form and said she'd have to pay a €70 fee for the claim. Total con.

I have also heard that places like Gadget insurance are very difficult to get a claim out of.

If you really want it you should check your house contents insurance.

I personally would take the chance, or save the €12-15 a month yourself and keep for the phone. Within 2 years you'd have €288- €360 saved which is probably the most insurance would give you anyway.

Might only cost a few hundred euro if bought on a bill, but a sim free iPhone bought directly from Apple is 700+

BDJW wrote: »
    Might only cost a few hundred euro if bought on a bill, but a sim free iPhone bought directly from Apple is 700+

Still not a massive amount of money that requires over €100 per year insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

laoisfan wrote: »
    Mobile phone insurance is a scam, nothing more, nothing else. Don't pay it. You would be just throwing away good money.

In the past 14 months I have dropped my phone down the toilet and lost it in Prague.

The replacement cost from Apple for my phone is €979. If I had to replace both myself it would have cost me €1958. Vodafone insurance replaced both within 2 days with brand new phones. For me it was well worth it. It's not a scam. Whether it's good value is another matter....

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Annie_Oakes

laoisfan wrote: »

In the past 14 months I have dropped my phone down the toilet and lost it in Prague.

The replacement cost from Apple for my phone is 979. If I had to replace both myself it would have cost me 1958. Vodafone insurance replaced both within 2 days with brand new phones. For me it was well worth it. It's not a scam. Whether it's good value is another matter....

I agree. I'm with Vodafone insurance too. Dropped my 6s+ on the pavement last week and smashed the screen. Within two days I had a brand new phone. Also, didn't have to hand back the old box or charger & earpods, so now I have two sets of all the accessories!

• Administrators Posts: 53,846 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Read the small print very carefully. You will be amazed at some of the get outs they have for not paying out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Vodafone insurance seems to be straight up. They send out a new phone and put the cost on the next bill.

• Advertisement

guil wrote: »
    Vodafone insurance seems to be straight up. They send out a new phone and put the cost on the next bill.

What cost?

murpho999 wrote: »
    What cost?

€12.99 per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭Masala

guil wrote: »

So u have to be a bill pay customer with Vosafone to avail of their insurance??

Masala wrote: »
    So u have to be a bill pay customer with Vosafone to avail of their insurance??

No idea, I'm bill pay so doesn't concern me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭OverRide

I agree. I'm with Vodafone insurance too. Dropped my 6s+ on the pavement last week and smashed the screen. Within two days I had a brand new phone. Also, didn't have to hand back the old box or charger & earpods, so now I have two sets of all the accessories!

A genuine otterbox can be got on eBay for about 12 euros
    You won't smash your screen with one on it

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Annie_Oakes

OverRide wrote: »

A genuine otterbox can be got on eBay for about 12 euros
    You won't smash your screen with one on it

Yeah I get that but... I really dislike those cases. The iPhone is beautiful IMO and I don't want to stick a big lump of plastic on it and make it look like a mini tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 borcork

There's good and a small negative about phone insurance for me. I had geek squad insurance with my old 5c, within a week of me getting it, the flash went dead.
    I rang apple and carphone, returned the phone and within a week and a half got a new phone.
    The only negative was that since the insurance was separate from the phone, when I sold the 5c, the old policy was still running, even though I got a new phone and policy.
    In short, I was double charged, contacted carphone and they put a request in with geek squad and they refunded me back two months of the old policy.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

borcork wrote: »
    There's good and a small negative about phone insurance for me. I had geek squad insurance with my old 5c, within a week of me getting it, the flash went dead.
    I rang apple and carphone, returned the phone and within a week and a half got a new phone.
    The only negative was that since the insurance was separate from the phone, when I sold the 5c, the old policy was still running, even though I got a new phone and policy.
    In short, I was double charged, contacted carphone and they put a request in with geek squad and they refunded me back two months of the old policy.

Insurance won't normally cover manufacturing defects , it'll be covered under warranty as your flash problem was.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 borcork

whiterebel wrote: »
    Insurance won't normally cover manufacturing defects , it'll be covered under warranty as your flash problem was.

Ya you're right there, as I was into Apple themselves first. Thanks

Advertisement