Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which laptop to get, I'm starting a degree in computer science

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Joejoanne123

Are they normally in ultrabooks? With soldered RAM as well, yes?

Anything that runs notepad++ and your good to go..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

NoDrama wrote: »
    Anything that runs notepad++ and your good to go..

He will probably need to be able to run netbeans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Thanks everyone. That has given me plenty of food for thought. Much appreciate all of your replies. Cheers. 👍🏻😀😴

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

bren2002 wrote: »
    Should get a tb of storage. Is imagine a CS student could be running a few virtual machines. Lirs of ram too. 8gb minimum. More of you can stretch.

Although I finished comp sci in DIT 3 years ago now, I never had much need. I had a debian VM for a while, but it's such a light OS and all it was doing was running basic web services.

I certainly wouldn't be worrying about soldered processors ffs. Who ever needs to upgrade their CPU? Any current enough generation i5 will be more than enough. People here are overestimating what you your requirements will be. For the most part I would see it as needing a machine to write code on, and compile really basic programs for the most part.

I'd say your requirements should be:

14" screen or larger. You can still get slim and light machines in this size, but the larger screen should be better for multitasking. i would also aim for a resolution of 1080p, it makes it far easier to utilise window space with those extra pixels.

8GB of RAM, fairly standard for almost all machines these days.

Storage, completely up to you but i cant see you needing too much storage for your college needs. I'd aim for an SSD if possible but it's not essential.

i5 5th generation or later, it doesnt matter if its a ulv processor.

Now the above might be a tad tricky on your budget, but its what I would want. At the end of day you dont need a powerhouse of a computer for a comp science course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

I certainly wouldn't be worrying about soldered processors ffs. Who ever needs to upgrade their CPU? Any current enough generation i5 will be more than enough. People here are overestimating what you your requirements will be. For the most part I would see it as needing a machine to write code on, and compile really basic programs for the most part.

Fair enough if you plan to keep the laptop. You'd be surprised how much value a processor upgrade adds 2-3 years down the line. I sold an Alienware M17 with an i7 (2nd generation) processor for €694 last July. It originally came with an i5 processor. You wouldn't get €500 for it with an i5. I actually bought/won the processor for €47 on eBay.

To add the processor was included with a broken latitude with no screen that turned out to work perfectly. Dodgy ram was all

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Fair enough if you plan to keep the laptop. You'd be surprised how much value a processor upgrade adds 2-3 years down the line. I sold an Alienware M17 with an i7 (2nd generation) processor for €694 last July. It originally came with an i5 processor. You wouldn't get €500 for it with an i5. I actually bought/won the processor for €47 on eBay.

To add the processor was included with a broken latitude with no screen that turned out to work perfectly. Dodgy ram was all

I'd imagine your alienware was quite a bit more expensive than the OP's budget. Laptops are increasingly moving towards soldered CPUs, I just think avoiding a soldered CPU is a bit silly, and would rule out a lot of great machines for the OP for a *just in case* scenario. I can't see why a 5th gen i5 wouldn't last someone 5 years, even when doing a comp sci course. And at that point a 5 year old mid range laptop wont have much value no matter what processor it has.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Probably too late but my 2cents:

Take your budget and buy an awesome 2nd hand ultrabook rather than a clunky mid range regular notebook that'll be a pain. I commute by bike and my €500 unit was €1300 new 24mo before I bought it and is more than capable of development work. There are deals to be had if you put the effort in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭bren2002

How's your battery after 2 years of use?

• Advertisement

bren2002 wrote: »
    How's your battery after 2 years of use?

Double sheet battery, up to 8hrs of video playback ;)

ED E wrote: »
    Probably too late but my 2cents:

Take your budget and buy an awesome 2nd hand ultrabook rather than a clunky mid range regular notebook that'll be a pain. I commute by bike and my €500 unit was €1300 new 24mo before I bought it and is more than capable of development work. There are deals to be had if you put the effort in.

Hi Ed. What machine do you have yourself and what do you think of the lenovo thinkpqd 450t or the dell xps 13? Cheers

Mines a Sony but theyve since left the laptop market completely.

XPS13 is a lovely unit. I've stopped recommending Lenovo after multiple breaches of consumer trust.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I went to IT Sligo and did the software development course as well. I have a few friends that finished it recently and one that is going into second year. You won't need an a super computer for it. A decent laptop with an i5 and 8GBs RAM will do the job perfectly. Anything more powerful is a bonus. No need for an upgradable processor either. I'd try and not get something too heavy. I had a 17" gaming laptop in third year and whilst it was powerful it was an absolute balls for getting into college. Thankfully I lived close enough to the college. I'd try not to go too small either as smaller screens can be a pain for coding. A 14" or 15" screen would be best.

Hi Almighty. Are you able to chat with your friend that is starting 2nd year at IT Sligo doing Comp. science? And ask them what books they had to buy, please. Cheers

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Hi Almighty. Are you able to chat with your friend that is starting 2nd year at IT Sligo doing Comp. science? And ask them what books they had to buy, please. Cheers

It'll depend on what stream you go with. Someone doing the software stream will have different classes and need different books than someone doing the networking stream. He only finished first year so he won't know what books he'll need for a couple of months yet.

That's the same for me. As my first year is a common year. I've been accepted to software development (Comp. Science). So what ever book he used last year, should be the same as I'll need this year. Will you ask him? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 39 gleNine

Macbook Air or Pro.
    Alternatively a Thinkpad T420 or T430 with Linux.

That's the same for me. As my first year is a common year. I've been accepted to software development (Comp. Science). So what ever book he used last year, should be the same as I'll need this year. Will you ask him? Cheers

Ah sorry, thought you meant what books he'll be using in second year. I'll ask him and drop you a PM. The books may change from year to year so I wouldn't go out and buy any books just yet. Plus, you can usually get them handily enough second hand.

Advertisement