Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic & sports car insurance

Options
  • 26-06-2016 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

I know this is probably a recurring topic and by god there is lots of info out there but I just cant find anything recent to help me out so apologies if covering old ground here.
    I am looking to insure 3 cars, a 79 Chevy Camaro, a 98 Jag XK8 & a 97 BMW 328. The Camaro should be standard enough as a classic @ 37 years old but the other 2 have me worrying where to go to get the best deal. I will be using all 3 every so often but none are my daily driver so I would ideally like one policy that takes that into consideration and offers a decent rate.
    Unlikely I know but any & all suggestions will be very much appreciated and help me out massively. Thanks folks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

As you say, the Camaro should be fine but neither of them are 20 years old which is the cut off point for most companies doing classic policies in my experience. You will get the BMW covered with First Ireland as they accept Beemers and Mercs over 15 years old. You will have more options for the BMW next year obviously.
    I'd be doubtful on the Jag though.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 HipFlask

First Ireland, lovely, I will give them a shout to see. Thanks. Hopefully they'll cover the jag, it's more of a classic than the beamer will ever be in my opinion :)
    Do you know do they offer multi car discounts on classic insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I'm with First Ireland...classic limited-mileage policy. Imho, your best bet is to insure the Camaro as the 'main classic' on the policy and then add the other two cars to the policy (adding cars is usually only a small extra fee).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

HipFlask wrote: »
    First Ireland, lovely, I will give them a shout to see. Thanks. Hopefully they'll cover the jag, it's more of a classic than the beamer will ever be in my opinion :)
    Do you know do they offer multi car discounts on classic insurance?

They do. My quotes were so low I had to check a few times with them before accepting. :)

I've requested a quote so fingers crossed it's reasonable. Thanks very much for the advice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

I'm with AIG through first ireland for my classic insurance, You need to be 25 or older and car needs to be 15 or older.

400 euro a year on my 97 bmw 840, and it's my daily and only car

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Peew

Skatedude wrote: »
    I'm with AIG through first ireland for my classic insurance, You need to be 25 or older and car needs to be 15 or older.

400 euro a year on my 97 bmw 840, and it's my daily and only car

And do they not want you to have a separate daily driver.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Peew wrote: »
    And do they not want you to have a separate daily driver.:confused:

Nope, the 8 series is my only car

• Registered Users Posts: 11 gary114

Hi,
    I have being insured on my vintage car for the last seven years,
    Didn't insure it last year as I was very busy.
    Surprise surprise have being ringing round today and cant get a policy anywhere.
    Tried axa,first Ireland,etc all saying as my main policy is a commercial....van,
    I cant get insured.
    My broker suggested I buy a car tax and insure it then call them back.
    What planet is that idiot on.:eek:
    Maybe put car in wifes name and have me as named driver.:D

gary114 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have being insured on my vintage car for the last seven years,
    Didn't insure it last year as I was very busy.
    Surprise surprise have being ringing round today and cant get a policy anywhere.
    Tried axa,first Ireland,etc all saying as my main policy is a commercial....van,
    I cant get insured.
    My broker suggested I buy a car tax and insure it then call them back.
    What planet is that idiot on.:eek:
    Maybe put car in wifes name and have me as named driver.:D

Some of the different restrictions are mad. I have been looking again just now and can't get insured with AXA as I don't have a full no claims bonus. Ive never made a claim, had any penalty points or anything like that but no claims only stretches back 3 years so they won't insure me. All while my no claims bonus is used on my daily driver anyway and wouldn't be used on the vintage policy. Nuts. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of common sense in parts of the industry.
    Campion insurance came in at over €200 cheaper on their quote anyway so works out for me. I hope you get yours sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

They do. My quotes were so low I had to check a few times with them before accepting. :)

Same here. I added my Porsche Boxster to my classic policy and it cost me a whopping €50 extra. For 8 months. Fully comprehensive insurance :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Carole Nash insure my Wolsely 16/60 for 169 Euro. I've no other car, nor would I need one.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Madman2

This is the most recent thread i could find, but do any of you know if those Classic insurance companies require the car (83 Bmw) to have a Valid NCT ? I was away when the declaration of non use came in and have missed it by several days so i have to pay the yearly tax regardless. My car is in the middle of a restoration and due to have the engine changed soon for a larger one and am unsure as to try and get it insured now (and take my time with the engine swap) or wait till its done and try then??

Advertisement