Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M50 Toll

Options
  • 26-06-2016 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was on the M50 yesterday and today travelling from NI to the west, so I came in from the north (M1) and then headed west on Went to www.eflow.ie to pay the tolls and entered the car reg.

However, it is not registering any journies for me. I get the following message:
    Register for cheaper M50 journeys
    Right now, it looks like you're paying more than you need to for M50 journeys.

Register for a hassle-free eFlow account to unlock savings of €1.00 per M50 journey with a Tag* account or €0.50 for Video account holders.

On top of that, you'€™ll never have to worry about the 8pm deadline again.

Tag* account holders can also use express lanes at all other toll plazas in the Republic of Ireland, meaning no more queuing and no more coins.

Online account management gives you a full, transparent breakdown of your payments and journeys.

What is happenign here? Do I just force through the €6.50 payment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I think you left it which road you took off the M50, is it possible you didn't go through the toll?

I'm fairly sure it's missed trips for me before. I don't think there's been any consequence. If you're really worried you could call them.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Thats just a message to get you to register for a tag. Tolls are cheaper with the tag. It pops up for anyone paying for an unregistered journey.

You could decide to pay for 50 journeys having made none and the sytem will just take your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭JackHeuston

Did you leave the M50 at exit 6 to go west? N3, blanchardstown? Just asking even if it's a weird path to take. If you did, you didn't drive through the toll point and you don't have to pay anything. You only pay if you drive from exit 6 to exit 7, basically between exits for the N3 and N4.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I've no idea. Never drive on it before. We arrvied from M1 and took the turn off for Galway/Westport. I think it was the N4 (possibly Junction 7).
    That is what I'm thinking, but I don't know. I've rechecked my directions. On the M1,

> Keep left at the fork to continue on E01, follow signs for Southbound/Port/M50

> Continue onto E01/M50

> At junction 7, Use the 2nd from the left lane to take the N4 exit to Sligo/Westport/Galway/N5/N6

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭JackHeuston

Well then yeah you drove through the cameras. I'd force the payment, I guess sometimes in certain conditions it's hard for the cameras to read the plate and they need to manually check it. However I'm not sure the website will tell you "you've done x journeys" if you input the licence plate, they'll just ask you the number of journeys you want to pay for.

That messagge appears everytime you pay the toll without being registered on the website, just click "Continue paying as unregistered".

If you register though you should be able to have a slightly cheaper toll, and you don't have such a short deadline to make the payment since they just bill your card or pre-paid account monthly. In case you register, make sure to tell them via phone/email/twitter to add that journey to the new account or it won't show up.

• Advertisement

Bollox, the first journey was yesterday, have I a fine on top of this? I did go on prior to pm to pay this, but there was nothing pending.

I would have thought that the fine wouldn't only apply yet as the payment required was not listed on the site. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

If you are fined, give them a call to sort it out. There usually very obliging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭dreamstar

Bollox, the first journey was yesterday, have I a fine on top of this? I did go on prior to pm to pay this, but there was nothing pending.

The eflow website doesn't tell you how many journeys you did. You judt put in how many you have to pay for. You could put down 10 without having gone through at all.
    You just need to pay by 8pm the following day. If you are late you'll be notified. They'll send a letter to the registered address. The fee just doubles so they might charge you the 3.20 or whatever.

If you are finder, give them a call to sort it out. There usually very obliging.

finder?

I'd just pay for the number of journeys now, I doubt you'll get a fine. Ive paid late before.

The system doesnt show up how many you owe for, you just pay for the number of journeys you want to pay for.

• Advertisement

dreamstar wrote: »
    The eflow website doesn't tell you how many journeys you did. You judt put in how many you have to pay for. You could put down 10 without having gone through at all.
    You just need to pay by 8pm the following day. If you are late you'll be notified. They'll send a letter to the registered address. The fee just doubles so they might charge you the 3.20 or whatever.

Even if I'm 3 hours late as it states:
    Please make sure that this is the correct vehicle. If this is not the correct vehicle, please check the vehicle registration number and select the 'back' button, then search again. Only use this section to pay for journeys in advance, or journeys made TODAY or YESTERDAY. If you want to pay for a journey made prior to yesterday, please use the 'Pay a Penalty' option and input the journey reference number issued to the vehicle's owner for the unpaid journey.

it makes no reference to an 8pm cut off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

finder?

Fined

How can they fine me if they can't tell me my costing? Why have cameras if you just go onto the website and pay anyway regardless?

How can they fine me if they can't tell me my costing? Why have cameras if you just go onto the website and pay anyway regardless?

There could be disputed tolls, or ones that get partial regs that have to be manually sorted etc.

So people just know how many times they used the road in the previous 24 hours, and pay that amount, easy. They tell you the costing, for 1 trip, you jusgt need to tell them how many 1 trips you made.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Phone them, give them your registration and ask how much you owe.

Down yesterday afteroon and back today.

So I have to pay:
    €3.10
    €3.00 fine
    €3.10
    €9.20 Total

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Everyone should sign up for the video account.

You get a cheaper toll, don't have to buy a tag, and the money is just charged to your card see the end of the month. It's basically not possible to get fined, and there is zero downside.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

In my experience 8pm deadline is not strict.

I think if its paid before they start working the next working da after deadline, then fine won't be issued.

F.e I travelled on Monday, was meant to pay by 8pm Tuesday, but forgot and paid 6am Wednesday. Never heard anything after.

Other time I travelled on Friday, was meant to pay by 8pm on Saturday and forgot. Monday was bank holiday and i paid in the evening on Monday. Heard nothing.

But other time I travelled Wednesday, meant to pay by 8pm TThursday, forgot, paid 10am Friday and in few days I received fine in the post.

Down yesterday afteroon and back today.

So I have to pay:
    €3.10
    €3.00 fine
    €3.10
    €9.20 Total

No, you dont pay any fine until you are sent a fine.

Just pay for the 2 journeys.

The final security check on my card has failed, but it is telling that my card has been processed! What a nightmare. - I'm guessing it didn't work as I done it again with another card and got through to a different page.

Done! Thanks.

Very confusing website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

The final security check on my card has failed, but it is telling that my card has been processed! What a nightmare.

What happened?

My credit card locked out on the Mastercard Secure Code page. Ended up paying by Visa credit.

Horrible website.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,440 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

here folks whats the story with not paying the penalty of the m50 toll? completely forgot to pay the toll. just received letter. call centre not having any of it in regarding cancelling fine. paid toll charge though. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭blackis200

Drivers should know that a 23% increase (excluding VAT) in the cost of the M50 toll was implemented on 1/4/17 without any fanfare.
    The government were told by EU they can't charge VAT.
    The response was to remove VAT and increase the price by 23% and pray nobody notices.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

The total price stays the same there's just no VAT included in the charge anymore. For the vast majority of people there will be no change.
    https://www.eflow.ie/community/sponsorship/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

blackis200 wrote: »
    Drivers should know that a 23% increase (excluding VAT) in the cost of the M50 toll was implemented on 1/4/17 without any fanfare.
    The government were told by EU they can't charge VAT.
    The response was to remove VAT and increase the price by 23% and pray nobody notices.

Or alternatively:

Drivers should know that the price of the toll remain unchanged. Initially, all the toll amount was kept by the National Roads Authority. For a time, 23% of the toll was being paid by National Roads Authority to Revenue but the price paid to the customer remained the same. Now it has reverted to the original setup so NRA are keeping 100% again.

The only people affected by this are people who can claim back the VAT on tolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

markpb wrote: »

The only people affected by this are people who can claim back the VAT on tolls.

yeah like the industry who pay the highest toll fee for each journey and normally have fleets

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭John Dough

Slightly ot If I am a visitor from UK do I have to pay toll or can I sneak through!
    Tnx

• Registered Users Posts: 68,820 ✭✭✭✭L1011

John Dough wrote: »
    Slightly ot If I am a visitor from UK do I have to pay toll or can I sneak through!
    Tnx

You have to pay it, they have access to the DVLA files and will invoice you in the UK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭blackis200

John Dough wrote: »
    Tnx

Pay the tolls.
    Don't be caught out on M50 where the toll will snowball with penalties if unpaid.
    Welcome to Ireland. Be prepared to be robbed by friendly gangsters!

Advertisement