Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business Information Systems BIS advice?

Options
  • 26-06-2016 9:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

I'm starting the course the coming school year but starting to have my doubts. A lot of people are telling me about the high drop out rates because of how difficult it is. Its a bit disheartening to be honest.

I have business and economics under my belt from the LC and while I dropped to pass Maths, statistics and probability are the only things I ever did well in higher.

Can anyone give me some insight into the course? I can't really afford to go into a course that I'm not capable of.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Zooouma

TheOwl12 wrote: »
    I'm starting the course the coming school year but starting to have my doubts. A lot of people are telling me about the high drop out rates because of how difficult it is. Its a bit disheartening to be honest.

I have business and economics under my belt from the LC and while I dropped to pass Maths, statistics and probability are the only things I ever did well in higher.

Can anyone give me some insight into the course? I can't really afford to go into a course that I'm not capable of.

I've done the maths modules in semester 1 & 2 just this past year but not I'm not in Bis although they are exact same. If you've done higher level in stats & probability you should be ok coming from me who done foundation level in LC 10 years ago. All I will say about the maths module is make sure u attend the labs!
    The dropout rate is high but these are a number of reasons. Grant refusal, picked the wrong course etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

I study Business which is very module heavy with BIS.

If you can find this book..

Business Information Systems
    By Paul Bocij, Dave Chaffey, Andrew Greasley, Simon Hickie

It will give you an insight into what your course will be about. I've used it for every BIS/MIS module have got 70 and over in my exams and I absolutely detest BIS.

CIT has great module descriptors for the courses on their website which you research further to see if you like it.

I think high drop out rate it because people have a completely different expectation of the course. It is harder than people think it will be (practically especially) and people don't realise how horrific the theory is going to be.

Advertisement