Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insurance question

• 26-06-2016 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

With the insurance going up on a car older than 15 years now, will an 02 cars insurance go up in '17 or '18? Also, I hold a provisional license and im doing my lessons, hoping to have my full license within the next 2 months. Looking for a car with 1.2L max. What is the best way to go around the insurance for me to get the cheapest? My dad drives a BMW, so I can't be second driver on that. Nor will he want to use a little car that I purchase. But 2 different cars with the same insurance? Or would I be better off going by myself?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Go by yourself. There's no way to avoid the big hit at the start but at least you are earning an NCD. Pick a few cars you fancy and stick the details into a few online quote engines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You can't have two cars on the one policy so you will have no choice but to take out a separate policy for the car you buy and whether he wants to drive it or not, the chances are that your father's policy will cover him to drive your car with at least 3rd party cover (if his policy has 'driving other cars cover') and in some cases with fully comp cover if his own policy is fully comp.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 JustThisGuy

Okay thanks for the answer. Any clue on the 15 year old car rule? Because insurance companies and everyone seems to say that the insurance goes up, but one of my friends dropped down for some odd reason?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Okay thanks for the answer. Any clue on the 15 year old car rule? Because insurance companies and everyone seems to say that the insurance goes up, but one of my friends dropped down for some odd reason?

Depends on the company/factors etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

get your own policy, but ask your Broker if it would be worth adding your Pa or Ma as a second driver as it may reduce the premium. #

This is a better way to go in the long run than you being a second driver on a policy taken out by Pa/Ma.

It will cost an arm or leg but no avoiding that really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Don't worry about the year. There will be many other considerations as well that will affect premium. Take each car on its own merits and check for quotes.

Advertisement