Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paternity leave

Options
  • 26-06-2016 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

My wife is due mid september. Will i be entitled to the two weeks paternity leave? Does it take effect from the beginning or end of september?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

I thought it said it comes into effect 30 of September.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The birth has to take place on or after 30th September. You could bring it up with your employer though, they might take pity on you.

The payment is from Social Welfare, would be nice if employer gives their top up anyway, but SW wouldn't be able to bend rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 kav2011

balls! thanks for replies

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Yup, it only takes effect after 30th Sept. No idea yet though if my company will give full pay for the 2 weeks. Their HR policy handbook (updated in March) still says I'm only entitled to 3 days parental leave. Hoping it's just that they can't update that until 1st Oct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Zebra2016

Can I just ask where does it say after the 30th of September?

Thanks

I don't know where it says anything about the details but I've heard over and over from TDs on the radio/news that it takes effect for any babies born after the 30th Sept. It has always been this date and they look like they are sticking with it.

This just says "from September"...
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/paternity_leave.html

... so I guess there's a bit of ambiguity but I've only ever heard "30th Sept".

There it is (see page 10 or just search for "september")...

https://www.oireachtas.ie/documents/bills28/bills/2016/4316/b4316d.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Zebra2016

Thanks for that, i had searched myself but couldn't find a date, I am sure you are right, was just hoping that it would be early sept as I am due then!! Oh well we will just have to book annual leave

oh darn, I searched again and only found article in Newstalk and it said September 1st, so was gonna report on the good new here, but maybe they got it wrong:

http://www.newstalk.com/Paternity-leave-for-new-fathers-will-come-into-effect-from-September-1st

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

Just asked my own HR here. I know every company will be different, they are honoring it for babies DUE and or born September 1st onward... and they are topping up the social welfare payment to your own weekly salary... hoping my OH's company will do something similar

• Advertisement

It's encouraging that some companies will do that for paternity leave. Hope the rest follow suit...

The Dáil passed the Paternity Leave Bill today :) 2 weeks paid parenity leave for fathers from September 1st (not 30th after all). Happy days :) Sucks obviously for those missing out but I suppose it had to start on some date.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 secrettit

Hi all, i'm just after joining the site.

Quick question and any help is appreciated.
    I'm entitiled to 2 weeks off for the paternity leave, my wife is due 20th september im wondering does my paternity leave start there?
    I'm hoping that if she doesnt have the baby just say to 2 weeks later and my paternity leave is already used up because my employer thinks i'm looking for time off on the due date, when actually i need the time off when the baby arrives. Hope someone understands what i'm saying and can help a brother out :)

Cheers.

secrettit wrote: »
    Hi all, i'm just after joining the site.

Quick question and any help is appreciated.
    I'm entitiled to 2 weeks off for the paternity leave, my wife is due 20th september im wondering does my paternity leave start there?
    I'm hoping that if she doesnt have the baby just say to 2 weeks later and my paternity leave is already used up because my employer thinks i'm looking for time off on the due date, when actually i need the time off when the baby arrives. Hope someone understands what i'm saying and can help a brother out :)

Cheers.

I think and am fairly confident that you just give the due date so your employer is notified that you'll be taking paternity leave but you only take it once the baby is born. Same way it works currently where you only get 3 days leave.

Bacchus wrote: »
    I think and am fairly confident that you just give the due date so your employer is notified that you'll be taking paternity leave but you only take it once the baby is born. Same way it works currently where you only get 3 days leave.

Cheers hopefully that will be right. . Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Does attending the labour count as a day of the paternity leave?

What forms do you have to fill out/get employer to fill out? Do you need some social welfare card or anything to claim this I'm really not up to date with this?

secrettit wrote: »
    What forms do you have to fill out/get employer to fill out? Do you need some social welfare card or anything to claim this I'm really not up to date with this?

You should ask your employer about the forms to fill out... that'd be the easiest way to get a clear and correct answer.

You will need to get the public services card to apply for the 2 weeks paternity leave so start looking into that.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/paternity-leave-dads-need-public-services-card-to-apply-1.2742661

Hi all i'm due to go on paternity leave soon. My job has agreed and put my wages through to top up what we will recieve off the social.
    I got a tax credit cert sent to the house the other day which states the paternity leave in it, but i still have not recieved any letter or anything from the social on saying i have got it. I got my PSC card in the post the other day. Do i collect it from the post office? Has anyone on here know what the nexts steps are? I'm planning on taking the paternity leave as soon as the missus goes into labour and my boss has giving me the green light for the dates. But if she goes over just say by a week what do i do?

Any help is appreciated people. :)

Advertisement