Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2008 Civic Hatchback P1041 Downstream O2 sensor replacement

• 26-06-2016 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a 2008 Civic Hatchback. I have an engine light on at the moment and when i read the OBD sensor it's code P1041 - "O2 Sensor Heater Circuit". I want to check the wiring first to make sure thats not the problem but have a few questions first.

1) Where do I find it in the car. I've searched youtube and online but can't find information specific to this model regarding it's location.

2) This particular sensor is the downstream sensor, when ordering the part online is there a difference between the upstream and downstream sensor. How do i know which version i'm buying as it doesn't seem to state that on the parts online.

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Which engine is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭FatBeard

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Which engine is it?

It's a 1.8L Semi/Automatic.

I was looking at this universal sensor: http://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/bosch-1149531.html . I'm guessing universal means it can be upstream or downstream? I did find this video that does seem to provide the location. The reason i'm skeptical though is that the wiring is different, the one on top has two black wires out of 4. The one on the bottom has two white wires out of four. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_yR5HbU5A4 . My understanding is that the uk and us civic are essentially the same with just a different body on them.

There's a good few differences between the saloon and hatch civics, I have an FK hatch and a friend has an FD saloon and there are differences in the engine between them.

Now, o2 sensors may well be the same.

If the plugs are the same, it might be an idea to swap them round and see what happens. Failing that you could get one from a breakers.

That Bosch one seems to be universal in the sense that it probably can come with a variety of different plugs for you to bodge on. It says upstream in the description though.

colm_mcm wrote: »

That Bosch one seems to be universal in the sense that it probably can come with a variety of different plugs for you to bodge on. It says upstream in the description though.

Ya, they supply a mechanism for attaching the original plug. I don't see mention of upstream in the description though, where did you see that?

Exhaust System : in front of the catalyst

If you could get the OE part number it would help you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

For the post-cat sensor you will need one with the 2 white wires. Typing that BOSCH 0 258 986 507 part number into TecDoc says that it's indeed a universal O2 sensor for post-cat purposes, like you need.

The site however lists it as a pre-cat. If you Google for "BOSCH 0 258 986 507" and look at images you will indeed see that it has 2 whites out of the 4 wires like so:
    1367829594300_bulletin

I would assume that the site is wrong then. The pre-cat sensor should have 2 blacks.

EDIT: MicksGarage also lists that sensor as a post-cat sensor: http://www.micksgarage.com/search/lambda%20oxygen%20sensors/honda/honda%20civic/civic%20viii%20hatchback%202005%20to%202012/1.8/140

You should be fine with that part number!

OP11K3D.jpg?1

Thanks Shietpilot, I've just ordered it. I'll let you know how I go.

On the original linked site it does actually say post-catalytic, not pre.

Link for the Bosch one says regulating probe (which is upstream) and in front of the catalyst (which is upstream)

Onlinecarparts?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 78 ✭✭Old School Husqy

What diagnostic tool have you op?

Actually we're both right. I thought i was going mad for a second. If you select honda civic mk8 1.8l, hit ok followed by refreshing the page, it turns to post-catalytic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement