Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fast growing tall evergreens

Options
  • 26-06-2016 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

looking for some pointers to find some fast growing, tall evergreens.
    I am looking for something that will grow to 25ft maybe in a couple of years.

I'd also love if you could point out where I might buy some (semi mature) ones

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

beware of what you ask for.
    there are trees which will meet your initial brief. but they won't stop at 25 foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

Even leylandi wont grow that quick "in a couple of years" but they are the quickest growing conifer. As mentioned already though, they wont cease at 25 foot

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

where do you live?
    tully's in north county dublin would have a decent range of trees, in various stages of maturity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I am not too worried if they do get a bit bigger - we already have some 15 - 20 meter trees at the back of the house, these are for the side. I would like them to grow a bit quick though.

would a lombary popular be a good choice ?

I am in south dublin, but I could travel

thanks

RobAMerc wrote: »
    would a lombary popular be a good choice ?
    Poplars are not evergreen. Plus, their roots are notorious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Hi folks,

looking for some pointers to find some fast growing, tall evergreens.
    I am looking for something that will grow to 25ft maybe in a couple of years.

I'd also love if you could point out where I might buy some (semi mature) ones

thanks

Perhaps if you could give us more info, site, reasons for planting etc, maby even a picture, we could better advise you.

Semi mature may not be you best starting point for a number of reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

We went with Leylandii on one of our boundaries (eye's wide open, aware of the growth rates, no neighbours that side etc etc), as looks wise I don't really see the big difference with slower growing cypress and cypress. However, they haven't done significantly better than other trees we planted at the same time. I'm aware that could change - like I said I had eyes wide open.

Fastest growing for us has been Red Alder, which is deciduous, which doesn't have a massive final height. Not a problem for us where it is (it's actually thickening the boundary), but is sending out suckers now. The faster growth compared to others for us could be because it's not attractive to be eaten by the hordes of deer!

Any advice I could find was that smaller planted trees tend to catch up with more mature planted trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

beware of what you ask for.
    there are trees which will meet your initial brief. but they won't stop at 25 foot.

they stop when you cut them !!
    I know many places where they have been regularly maintained and they are just like any other plant..

The probelm is when they are left unchecked and untrimmed..

Trimmed regularly and they provide an evergreen dense hedge..

PLant them OP if they suit your needs, but you need to maintain them.

_Brian wrote: »
    they stop when you cut them !!
    they stop at 25 foot when you cut them at 25 foot.
    i would not like to be the person to maintain a 25 foot hedge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Oldtree wrote: »
    Perhaps if you could give us more info, site, reasons for planting etc, maby even a picture, we could better advise you.

Semi mature may not be you best starting point for a number of reasons.

I am looking to block an overlooking neighbour one down and to the left of the people directly at the back of ours. I think a well placed Cordyline Australis might do it but I think they would take years.
    We have a couple of large evergreens across the back wall which are great but these are for the 9 to 11 (on the clock) part of our garden as you look at it from the back of the house.

• Advertisement
Advertisement