Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chainring wear?

Options
  • 26-06-2016 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

Recently dropped one of my bikes into a LBS to get a new chain fitted and to check a creak In the bike...

Lbs called me up saying creak was from rear wheel and hubs not able to be serviced and I need a new wheel - fulcrum racing 7s so should be serviceable - tried another wheel and creak is exactly the same so a blatant lie on the mechanic's part...

Then called me up again and said new chain won't stay on big ring as chainring is too worn and I'll need a new chain set as well as a rear wheel,not sure what to believe now...

Does my 50t chainring look worn??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭strmin

In local LBS I was told my rear wheel in not serviceable and I was offered a new wheelset for €450 (which online is €232). Instead I bought a new freehub body for €31 and serviced it myself. The wheel is as good as new now. Needless to say, I don't trust local mechanics anymore.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

LpPepper wrote: »
    Recently dropped one of my bikes into a LBS to get a new chain fitted and to check a creak In the bike...

Lbs called me up saying creak was from rear wheel and hubs not able to be serviced and I need a new wheel - fulcrum racing 7s so should be serviceable - tried another wheel and creak is exactly the same so a blatant lie on the mechanic's part...

Then called me up again and said new chain won't stay on big ring as chainring is too worn and I'll need a new chain set as well as a rear wheel,not sure what to believe now...

Does my 50t chainring look worn??

It looks worn, but I've seen worse wear not throw a chain.

Everyone who owns a bike should be able to fit a chain themselves. Time to get learning !

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭nordicb

Chainring doesn't look bad at all, I would keep it for now.
    Creaks can be hard to find, can be anything - wheel spokes, saddle, frame, pedals. you name it...

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Puggy

nordicb wrote: »
    Chainring doesn't look bad at all, I would keep it for now.
    Creaks can be hard to find, can be anything - wheel spokes, saddle, frame, pedals. you name it...

Bodies creak as well! Especially if you fall off.

I had a really annoying creak, that happened at the start of my spin. Eventually one sunny day I was washing the bike and tried to wipe a bit of grit off the wheel. It turned out to be a crack near a spoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

That chain ring looks very worn in my opinion.
    ... so a blatant lie on the mechanic's part...
    That's a bit harsh - he may have just made an assumption based on previous experience.

Being wrong and telling a blatant lie are two different things.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

That chain ring looks very worn in my opinion.

It looks worn enough to me as well, I wouldn't say its slipping yet but its not far off and will cause the chain to wear quicker as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

Well another mechanic found the creak - a worn headset, which creaks terribly with some force applied to the front end...

Have ordered new chainset and cassette while I'm at it, may as well go for a fresh drive train. Should cycle as new!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Well another mechanic found the creak - a worn headset, which creaks terribly with some force applied to the front end...

Have ordered new chainset and cassette while I'm at it, may as well go for a fresh drive train. Should cycle as new!

I agree with you about the creak, blatent lying or stupidity

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

CramCycle wrote: »
    I agree with you about the creak, blatent lying or stupidity

Well I don't know how they could think it was the rear wheel - creak still there with another wheel and actually quite obvious once you apply a bit of pressure to the bars/steerer - in saying that the headset never came to mind for me

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

Chainring looks a bit worn alright. If you still have the old chain, you can ride with that, take it off, and stick a new chain on and see how it responds. Too much wear and it will make all sorts of protest noises to let you know that you need to change the ring as well as the chain. While you're at it, you might as well have a look at the cassette and see how the wear is there. If your chain jumps on certain sprockets, then you probably need a new cassette as well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement