Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

good network provider.

Options
  • 27-06-2016 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Can anyone recommend a good mobile phone network with reasonable call rates and data package. I am with 3 at the moment and not really satisfied with the service €20 a month 1gb data allowance. Does anyone know anything about a provider called lyca? If so; what are they like and can you get a prepaid top up at any store or do you have to top up online.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭bugfreebob

lorenzo63 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good mobile phone network with reasonable call rates and data package. I am with 3 at the moment and not really satisfied with the service €20 a month 1gb data allowance. Does anyone know anything about a provider called lyca? If so; what are they like and can you get a prepaid top up at any store or do you have to top up online.

Meteor & Vodafone are the only viable networks in Ireland. Lyca uses one of Three networks and suffers from similar problems to Three. Meteor has a €20 prepaid tariff that includes unlimited voice minutes and 15GB 4G data. They also include 400 free texts but you have to use their MyMeteor app. This includes 100 free international texts. Also free social media data which doesnt deduct from your 15GB. Vodafone works fine too but is more expensive.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

lorenzo63 wrote: »

I just moved to three on a sim only package, and for 20 euro a month I get all you can eat data. http://www.three.ie/eShop/phone-plans/prepay/

I tried lyca, and they made a balls of the port. A week in, and I still couldn't receive calls.

Month before that, I tried meteor. Pretty good, but no free texts for the 20 plan I was on, which was annoying.

Was on tesco before, very reliable, but there have been massive customer service issues recently.

I've also used iD mobile, but the network did not seem reliable, particularly around peak times, so I had to leave.

Check your coverage with various sims. Try kill biller (phone app) to gauge how much networks might cost you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Month before that, I tried meteor. Pretty good, but no free texts for the 20 plan I was on, which was annoying.

Meteor webtext are free (400 texts). You can use the Meteor app or SwiftSMS or Irish Webtext or just online. The only thing is that it doesn't save sent texts in the phone but you can view them in My Meteor and (I think) the Meteor app.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Meteor webtext are free (400 texts). You can use the Meteor app or SwiftSMS or Irish Webtext or just online. The only thing is that it doesn't save sent texts in the phone but you can view them in My Meteor and (I think) the Meteor app.

Yeah, I know web text was available, but it just seemed so petty to not give free texts! Didn't want to have to remember to open the app to send messages in response to ones I'd received. A minor inconvenience, I'll admit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

MarkR wrote: »
    Yeah, I know web text was available, but it just seemed so petty to not give free texts! Didn't want to have to remember to open the app to send messages in response to ones I'd received. A minor inconvenience, I'll admit.

They want you to fork out an extra tenner for texts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Personally I think they best sim only plan out there at the moment is with Vodafone, when you factor in quality of coverage.

Red 30 gives rolling 30 day contract with unlimited calls and texts, 3gb of data.

Their 4g coverage is the best around in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

They want you to fork out an extra tenner for texts

Is there an option with meteor to automatically top up every 30 days?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 cb1959

Pacifico wrote: »
    Is there an option with meteor to automatically top up every 30 days?

Yes - just select scheduled Top-up in MyMeteor.

Advertisement