Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reproofing after threading?

Options
  • 27-06-2016 1:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭

I have been told that the Midlands rifle range staff will require my gun to be reproofed if it received a threading job after leaving the factory..?

Am I legally obliged to reproof this firearm if it's re-threaded after manufacture?!

Does anyone have a link to the 'proofing laws'

I have a second hand Remington 700 that was threading when I bought it. I don't know if it was factory made thread..

How would I check the proof marks to determine if it was threaded at the initial manufacturing stage? How will the range officers determine if it a factory thread or not..

I searched here and found this
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=210849&page=2

Any help will be greatly received.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I would say that no one in control from the Midlands told you this false story.

No proof house in Ireland to proof any firearm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Rimfire Shooter

I reckon it's more to do with who threaded the barrel than proof marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Just had a look thru my 2010 rule book on Midlands,nothing is mentioned about silencer threading...THAT SAID,there was a point about it when I first joined,in 08 that silenced rifles had to be proofed.That was more to do with utter cowboy threading jobs being brought up to the range and a couple of exploding silencers or shots hitting targets two numbers over rather than what they were aimed at.

TBH there are lots of people up there with canned rifles and I'd doubt everone has had their rifles proofed.If the thing is safe and shooting straight and hitting what its aimed at[more or less:)]Best thing is ring JP himself at Midlands and ask what the story is about it?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement