Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Verdemont house alarm

Options
  • 27-06-2016 8:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

There's been a house alarm going off in Verdemont for the past 3 days and nights. I've tried to find the house it was coming from but the sound seems to come from different places as you get near it (?) Is there anything we can do? Call Phone watch/Gardai?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

No point calling Phone Watch if its not one of their alarms. Call the local Garda station and the Environment section of Fingal Co Co for noise pollution services.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Might as well hang a huge banner on the house saying 'No one Home Here'. Unmonitored alarms should be banned, they're such a nuisance.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

SystemsGuy wrote: »
    There's been a house alarm going off in Verdemont for the past 3 days and nights. I've tried to find the house it was coming from but the sound seems to come from different places as you get near it (?) Is there anything we can do? Call Phone watch/Gardai?

I have lived there many moons ago and i know the situation all too well.
    Any time an alarm goes of, it seems impossible to pin point where it is coming from. That estate is 1 big echo

They can indeed go on for days.
    Was a major reason to move away from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Gaspode wrote: »
    Might as well hang a huge banner on the house saying 'No one Home Here'. Unmonitored alarms should be banned, they're such a nuisance.

More useful, when not malfunctioning, than a monitored one. A neighbour can check straight away if an alarm is going off. With a monitored one, you could have a house packed and loaded into a truck by the time the guy comes to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

Gaspode wrote: »

100% correct, they do my head in. I've never seen anyone pay a blind bit of attention to them so annoying and ineffective.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

ThisRegard wrote: »
    More useful, when not malfunctioning, than a monitored one. A neighbour can check straight away if an alarm is going off. With a monitored one, you could have a house packed and loaded into a truck by the time the guy comes to check.

I disagree. With a monitored one the home owner gets a call in minutes, if they can't get back to turn it off they can ring a neighbour/friend or whatever to do it. If the owner can't be contacted, then the monitoring company has a list of other people to ring - again a neighbour/friend/family member etc. There's no 'guy' usually, that would be more common for commercial properties.

It might have changed since when I last looked into it. Neighbour used to have Phonewatch and there were a couple of occasions his alarm went off (his cats) and they never managed to get in touch with anyone and it was hours before the patrol got out to check it out.

At least with an audible alarm someone on your street might take notice, and someone in your house would either do a legger, or be in a hurry to get out of it quicker than they would if there was no alarm.

If they're set up correctly they rest themselves after a set period of time anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

ThisRegard wrote: »
    At least with an audible alarm someone on your street might take notice, and someone in your house would either do a legger, or be in a hurry to get out of it quicker than they would if there was no alarm.
    I used to check on alarms on my road - have a quick look in the windows. Then I would either call to the house later or leave a note telling the resident when the alarm went off and that I saw no problem. No one ever said "Thank you" or "I'm sorry" (for the false alarm). I have given up.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭SystemsGuy

It seemed to have stopped for the last 12 hours. Either I'm gone deaf or they finally landed in I finally got some sleep!

daymobrew wrote: »
    I used to check on alarms on my road - have a quick look in the windows. Then I would either call to the house later or leave a note telling the resident when the alarm went off and that I saw no problem. No one ever said "Thank you" or "I'm sorry" (for the false alarm). I have given up.

Yeah, that's the problem if they're not maintained and trigger false alarms. I'm the same as you, but I now know which alarm is more than likely just a false alarm, but I still check out the ones I never or rarely hear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,707 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

ThisRegard wrote:

Monitored alarms are still audible, you know.

Not all are. You can either decide to go with a bell, or not.

Advertisement