Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

50 acre farm rent

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

It shouldn't be possible to claim entitlements on land rented out on an 11 month or 6 month lease. What should happen is that the owner of the entitlements should lease out those entitlements at the market rate either with the land or without. Land of similar quality withmore valuable entitlements attached should command a higher rent. All above board and doesn't have the appearance of retired farmers getting a pension top up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

It shouldn't be possible to claim entitlements on land rented out on an 11 month or 6 month lease. What should happen is that the owner of the entitlements should lease out those entitlements at the market rate either with the land or without. Land of similar quality withmore valuable entitlements attached should command a higher rent. All above board and doesn't have the appearance of retired farmers getting a pension top up.

Thinking along those lines wouldn't it be better if there was a transparent pool of entitlements.. a public auction place if you like.... and anyone renting land had to dump the entitlements into the pool for the year in which it was rented? That way the value wouldn't get caught up in the rent so easily. Could tie it to the registration of the lease which they are pushing towards anyway.. that way it should be easy to rent in entitlements and/or land and the market would be more liquid for both.

Landlords shouldn't suffer a risk of losing entitlements either if structured properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Landlords should lose entitlements though. The man working the sprong should get a twist from the eu not his lordship!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

You're carrying a bit of a chip there, Will.
    Fella over the road from me drawing €80K. It's a bit immoral but I am not going to get my knickers in a twist over it.

If he's farming the land in any form that wouldn't bother me in the slightest.. A place near here drawing over 100k but a lot of people in the locality and beyond getting a twist out of it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Willfarman wrote: »
    Landlords should lose entitlements though. The man working the sprong should get a twist from the eu not his lordship!

Once they decoupled payments it was always going to be a case of being lucky enough to have farmed in the reference years. The only way around it is to recouple and that's not going to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

If he's farming the land in any form that wouldn't bother me in the slightest.. A place near here drawing over 100k but a lot of people in the locality and beyond getting a twist out of it..
    In fairness not many are drawing entitlements of €100k. The few retired farmers that I know of around me are getting €3k or €4k at best. In all but one case they keep a few cows/calves around the house and rent out the rest of their land/outfarms. They are all bachelors in their late 60's + and in two cases they really shouldn't be keeping sucklers as they are getting too old/frail to deal with cows calving.
    The system is as it is and I can understand that you don't like it but you just have to take it on the chin the same way as we don't like seeing the value of our SFP devaluing but accept that while we loose others will gain.

Ah Im taking it on the chin.. And I kl try not take to the drink base!

But jaysis a irish man has to be let rant and rave. It's not North Korea!

Advertisement