Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roadcraft: The Police Driver's Handbook

• 27-06-2016 12:11pm
    Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭

Information-Position-Speed-Gear-Acceleration

Anyone got the book and follow this system used by Emergency Services and "advanced drivers"?

Takes a while to get used to.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I did try to use the correct way of accelerating/changing gears I read about it somewhere before that they use in the police force. I think its when you are changing gears, instead of disengaging the clutch when changing gears, leave it pressed in and engage the accelerator pedal to have the revs at a certain limit and then change your gears. It's a smoother transition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Mc Love wrote: »
    I did try to use the correct way of accelerating/changing gears I read about it somewhere before that they use in the police force. I think its when you are changing gears, instead of disengaging the clutch when changing gears, leave it pressed in and engage the accelerator pedal to have the revs at a certain limit and then change your gears. It's a smoother transition.

Easier said then done. They don't actually recommend driving without using the clutch do they?

Edit: just googled it. Its normal advanced driving practice(situation awareness stuff), not clutch-less driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

I think that's largely redundant on modern cars, although it is the way we (well I anyway) drove back in the day, changing down anyway.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

It emphasises keeping braking and changing gears separate. I normally would do both at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Mc Love wrote: »

I think you're talking about rev matching. This is when you blip the throttle when down shifting. When you want to down shift you press the clutch in, change gear and before releasing the clutch pedal you press the accelerator a bit to bring the revs up to where they would be if the car was already in the lower gear at that speed and instantly release the clutch pedal.

This way you can be as fast as you want releasing the clutch without getting the big jerk you would get when releasing the clutch pedal fast without blipping the throttle.

It's actually a very good technique but very hard to get used to. Once you master doing it smoothly you can try heel & toe (doing the same technique whilst braking at the same time :D)

On old (very old) cars with no synchros you would also need to double clutch when up/down shifting and blip throttle on the down shift. It goes something like:
    Clutch in
    Neutral
    Clutch out
    Blip throttle (if downshifting) / Let revs drop to where they should be if going to a higher gear (if upshifting)
    Clutch in
    Change gear
    Clutch out

Cars are very easy to drive these days as you see :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

yes I found it very hard to get over BGOL as a concept. It is currently acceptable in down hill tight turns to blip on the downshift while braking, in roadcraft. Other than that you are definitely supposed to blip on downshifts while following roadcraft, but not while you are braking. Their reasoning is that you should be braking far enough ahead of a hazard that you can split up the different inputs to the vehicle which would upset the balance.

I've skimmed the whole book a couple of times, could never read it cover to cover though as it's a bit hard to not just put it away after trying to get your head around a new concept which goes against what you usually do

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

This is good at explaining how to do rev matching. It's harder than it looks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Pugzilla wrote: »

This is good at explaining how to do rev matching. It's harder than it looks.

When they can't spell braking I glaze over it just looks like normal driving (to me anyway) I let the dsg do the work,no point in having a dog etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

jca wrote: »
    When they can't spell braking I glaze over it just looks like normal driving (to me anyway) I let the dsg do the work,no point in having a dog etc...

You couldn't rev-match a DSG anyway :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

millington wrote: »
    You couldn't rev-match a DSG anyway :confused:

I was joking. I forgot that people don't do jokes on boards.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement