Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government (CK210) - UCC

Options
  • 27-06-2016 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Soo I am entering 6th Year In September and already the stress of the household is massive lol

I am looking at the Government course in UCC. It is 340 points (very achievable), but my mother has extreme fears that it will not get me a job or career without further education. I would be looking into the Political Marketing aspects etc, the goal being something like a campaign manager etc.

She is in many ways, pressurising me to do Law (490 points, not so achievable).
    My own opinion is that this course is all work and no play, and while I am quite capable of being good in a court room, the idea of so much paperwork stresses me out because it screams boredom. Not to mention having to work at getting those 490 points.

My end goal is quite simply, a job in the US. I know people hear lawyer and scream "money" but there are soo many lawyers in the US that this is not really the case (I think).

What the heck should I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Yoop

Honestly, and I don't mean any offence by this - if you don't like the idea of working to get 490 points I would recommend staying away from law altogether. There is a lot of further study/work to make a career out of law after you get your degree; you have to really like it and really want it.

At the end of the day you'll be the one doing the work and it will be your career; do what you want to do, not what someone else wants you to do. Have a chat with your teacher or guidance counsellor in September and see what they have to say - I don't think it's worth wasting your summer over, you're going to have enough waiting next year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭bisset

Its really difficult to get into the states unless you have very particular skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Dionysus3 wrote: »
    Soo I am entering 6th Year In September and already the stress of the household is massive lol

I am looking at the Government course in UCC. It is 340 points (very achievable), but my mother has extreme fears that it will not get me a job or career without further education. I would be looking into the Political Marketing aspects etc, the goal being something like a campaign manager etc.

She is in many ways, pressurising me to do Law (490 points, not so achievable).
    My own opinion is that this course is all work and no play, and while I am quite capable of being good in a court room, the idea of so much paperwork stresses me out because it screams boredom. Not to mention having to work at getting those 490 points.

My end goal is quite simply, a job in the US. I know people hear lawyer and scream "money" but there are soo many lawyers in the US that this is not really the case (I think).

What the heck should I do?

I did the Bsc. Government back in the day (graduated 2010). Never had any trouble getting a job, as far as I know neither did the rest of the class. There was some public law involved with it, and some people who did the course went on to do further studies in it or Blackhalls/FE1's. It's a well rounded degree and comes with a placement programme - I'd recommend it.

Advertisement