Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WWE 2K17 Thread

• 27-06-2016 3:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭

A little late starting this year but with the cover being released today I thought that now would be the right time.

2k17_cover_blog.jpg

We don't know a whole pile about the game other than:
    • When pre-ordering, you receive two versions of Goldberg along with the WCW Monday Nitro and Halloween Havoc arenas.
    • John Cena, Sasha Banks and Ultimate Warrior have been confirmed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭spektorfive

Brock on the cover could be a smart move, if he wins his UFC fight and WWE figure out something for him to do. Hope lot NXT guys make the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Until theu change the way the game is played, I wont be buying it this year. Every year I get sucked into buying it and every year I only play it twice. The game has sucked for so long and it infuriates me because they have all the capabilities of making a really good game! Its just not fun to play. Commentary is terrible, graphics can be atrocious at times ( definately not ps4 standard). It....it just sucks

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Sirsok wrote: »
    Until theu change the way the game is played, I wont be buying it this year. Every year I get sucked into buying it and every year I only play it twice. The game has sucked for so long and it infuriates me because they have all the capabilities of making a really good game! Its just not fun to play. Commentary is terrible, graphics can be atrocious at times ( definately not ps4 standard). It....it just sucks

Completely Agree with this. Last year was the first WWE annual game in a LONG time I didn't buy and I'm really glad I didn't. It seemed almost identical to 2015's version.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

The main issue I've had the last few games was the countering system felt like sh*te. I never seemed to be able to counter anything, but 9 times out of 10 it felt like I was getting countered. Made it frustrating to play, and kinda turned me off the series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

I'll be giving it a skip. Might rent it (can you still rent games?!) for a few nights for a mess around. Save me 50 quid!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

A special NXT Edition but no signed pic of HHH posing with lads doing the cliq sign like its 1997

http://blogs-images.forbes.com/brianmazique/files/2016/07/2KGMKT_WWE2K17_NXTEdition_BeautyShot_NoRatings_FINAL-1200x1320.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I'm looking forward to playing as Nakamura :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Man, this game is going to be so, so outdated. Old logos, old sets, rosters will probably be all over the place, if they can even do a draft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,518 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Man, this game is going to be so, so outdated. Old logos, old sets, rosters will probably be all over the place, if they can even do a draft.

They absolutely must delay this game until they can get the new stuff in, if they can't do that by launch. If they can't reflect the sweeping changes that were made in real life in the game, not even the suckers like myself who buy the games every year will go near it. Besides, a launch around the time of WrestleMania could boost sales with the extra viewers WWE get at that time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭spektorfive

The logos etc will be out of date. But does that really matter? The roster is the same how does the set not looking like the current Raw really effect the game play?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

It's something they could sort out fairly quickly with a patch after launch or free dlc but they won't bother their holes. Can't see me picking this up this year, not at launch anyway. I ended up barely playing 2k16

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I didn't pick up 2k16 and I didn't miss it one bit. I'll be skipping 2k17 on the basis of how out of date it will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,314 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Maybe they were given a heads up on the new logos and songs like when they changed the WWE logo a few years ago just before the game was released.

And if your on XBOX one Loughc if rumours are true 2K16 is free next month

Maybe they were given a heads up on the new logos and songs like when they changed the WWE logo a few years ago just before the game was released.

And if your on XBOX one Loughc if rumours are true 2K16 is free next month

I am and you're right WWE 2k16 is free with games with gold from the 16th of August. I am delighted I didn't buy the game now. Will certainly give it a whirl for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Even before they updated all the sets and such, I was pretty convinced I wouldn't be buying this game. 2K16 was good but I just lost interest quick, the MyCareer was boring and I didn't even make it to the IC belt. Unless they pull something epic out of the bag I don't think I'll be buying as I don't have the interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Even before they updated all the sets and such, I was pretty convinced I wouldn't be buying this game. 2K16 was good but I just lost interest quick, the MyCareer was boring and I didn't even make it to the IC belt. Unless they pull something epic out of the bag I don't think I'll be buying as I don't have the interest.

Yeah in the end the only time I really had fun with 2k16 was playing against someone else for a few quick matches. Playing MyCareer or universe mode just didn't have any staying power.

I'd love a GM or Booking mode where you took over one of the brands and had to do a draft and compete against the other brand. Also MyCareer needs a lot of work, more cut scenes, more story, something. At the moment it's play 5/6 matches and you'll get a little cut scene you've seen many times already.

I had hight hopes when 2k took over and they started the MyCareer mode a few years back but so far it's been pretty lazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,518 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Soundtrack for the game just announced, curated by P Diddy and it's an absolute stinker in my opinion:
    Action Bronson & Joey Bada$$ (feat. Rico Love) – “What About The Rest Of Us”;
    Anderson .Paak – “Come Down”;
    Andy Black – “We Don’t Have To Dance”;
    Axwell Λ Ingrosso – “This Time”;
    Black Sabbath – “Paranoid”;
    Bring Me The Horizon – “Run”;
    FIDLAR – “Drone”;
    French Montana (feat. Kojak Black) – “Lockjaw”;
    iSHi (feat. French Montana, Wale, & Raekwon) – “We Run”;
    P. Diddy, Black Rob & Mark Curry – “Bad Boy For Life”;
    Travis Barker & Yelawolf – “Out of Control”;
    Twenty One Pilots – “Ride”;
    Yellow Claw (feat. Lil Eddie) – “We Made It”.

Music can be very divisive so I'm sure there'll be a few people happy enough with it, but from my own point of view, it's yet another reason to give this year's game a miss.

Oh definitely giving it a skip. Save 60 quid and wait for next June and see what the plans are.

A year out is a must at this stage and the game is borderline pathetic at this rate.

The fact the graphics haven't evolved in years for the series is frankly embarrassing.

This is my first time not buying a wrestling game for as long as I remember. My first game was Wrestlemania on the Mega Drive, followed by Royal Rumble and WWF RAW. I'd rather play those now than a PS4 game. I prefer the mechanics and graphics in them!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

I've been playing No Mercy on my N64 for the last hour. Amazing how it holds up and I enjoy it more than 2K16. So many things you could do in that game that you havent been able to do since...

I've been playing No Mercy on my N64 for the last hour. Amazing how it holds up and I enjoy it more than 2K16. So many things you could do in that game that you havent been able to do since...

Pity the "save" status erases itself randomly! That used to wreck my head. The only issue with that game!

IGN released the first batch of confirmations last week:
    • Aiden English
    • Booker T
    • Brian Pillman
    • Brie Bella
    • Diego
    • Erick Rowan
    • Fernando
    • Heath Slater
    • Jey Uso
    • Jimmy Uso
    • Jim Neidhart
    • Konnor
    • Larry Zybszko
    • Nikki Bella
    • R-Truth
    • Simon Gotch
    • Ultimate Warrior
    • Viktor
    You can see the list for yourself along with the renders and some in game shots here.

I said I would include these two game shots as this one features Chris Jericho's new facial hair:
    chris-jerichojpg-7cf06d_765w.jpg
    And this one features Brock Lesnar at Wrestlemania 31 at daylight:
    brock-lesnarjpg-387678_765w.jpg

Here's Brock Lesnar's entrance in the new game. The entrance has changed a small bit with his jumping on the spot at the top of the ramp being changed as well as the addition of corner post pyro.
    Some other things you'll notice in the video is at 5 seconds in you can see an area behind the barricade containing weapons which seems to confirm the return of crowd-fighting. Brock's model seems to be updated with his face looking better and his body appearing to be more shiny and muscular. You can see a comparison between his entrance in 2K16 and 2K17 here

They've bizarrely put in Balor's once-off chainsaw entrance.

About as logical as having HBK always enter via zip-line.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2016/08/09/wwe-2k17-finn-balors-full-ring-entrance

Looking forward to 2K18 :-) Smackdown vs Raw haha

I hate this. It's such a bad move giving him a entrance he used once only. Why not give him the crawling demon entrance. That's the one he usually uses for the demon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Absolutely no faith in this game. Just listening to Michael Coles dull commentary on the Lesnar entrance goes to show that they really dont care about making a hood game. Its just the same rehashed **** for years. Bad graphics, bad atmosphere, lazy gamemodes, lazy commentary everything about it is just terrible.

And the commentary during Bálor's entrance.... oh lord

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Loughc wrote:
    I hate this. It's such a bad move giving him a entrance he used once only. Why not give him the crawling demon entrance. That's the one he usually uses for the demon.

Is it possible that might be his title entrance though like they used to have? And then the regular demon entrance without a belt.... actually.. nah. It's 2K.

That would make sense. Forget I said anything!

No it said it was just his title entrance. So he'll have 2 other entrance animations, one regular and one normal demon one. You can change the title entrance to just the regular one if you want too so I'm glad they have the Dallas one in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭showpony1

if they updated the graphics from here comes the pain i'd be happy,
    used to love that type of story mode where could actually pic a wrestler and brand,
    not really into creating my own wrestler or doing the austin career mode etc.

they seem to think all everyone cares about is how big the roster is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Imnotthehulk

showpony1 wrote: »
    they seem to think all everyone cares about is how big the roster is

In fairness, there is some importance there. You want the roster as full as possible.

That said I do think you're right, the career mode needs to be thought about. I do think they've made some good progress on it in the last two iterations, but there is a level of boredom to it after a while.

In terms of the soundtrack, I think the biggest problem is the lack of songs. Because regardless of how good they are, if there's very few of them then you're going to start getting sick of hearing them over and over very quickly. Here's a comparison between 3 NBA and WWE titles in terms of the number of songs:

WWE 2K15: 12 Tracks.
    WWE 2K16: 12 Tracks.
    WWE 2K17: 13 Tracks.

NBA 2K14: 20 Tracks.
    NBA 2K15: 27 Tracks.
    NBA 2K16: 50 Tracks.

who needs variety as long as you can edit your Jukebox to Billy Gunn - Assman on repeat

IGN released another batch of confirmations at the beginning of the week:
    • Alicia Fox.
    • Andre the Giant.
    • Baron Corbin.
    • Big E.
    • Billy Gunn.
    • Braun Strowman.
    • Bret Hart.
    • British Bulldog.
    • Cesaro.
    • Charlotte.
    • Daniel Bryan.
    • Edge.
    • Finn Balor.
    • Hideo Itami.
    • Jake Roberts.
    • Kalisto.
    • Randy Orton.
    • Ricky 'The Dragon' Steamboat.
    • Sin Cara.
    • The Rock.
    • Triple H.
    • Tyson Kidd.
    You can see the list for yourself along with the renders and some in game shots here.

Like last week here are some screenshots:
    Here's the first look at Braun Strowman in the game.
    braun-strowman-watermarkjpg-a2d876_765w.jpg
    And here's the first look at Charlotte in the game.
    160811-WWE-Charlotte%20Watermark(1).jpg

Just after reading this post that WWE 2K posted on their website, didn't read all of it but the part that sticks out the most is that there will no be a 2K Showcase in this year's game:
    2K SHOWCASE

One of the largest and most difficult decisions we made for WWE 2K17 was to forego building a 2K Showcase. We designed and contemplated several Showcase ideas, including options surrounding our cover Superstar, Brock Lesnar, but all of them were not viable due to the many historic WWE Superstars needed but not available for inclusion in the game. In addition, the team is heavily focused on building and delivering great content that fans can enjoy for years to come, while the Showcases only live in games from year to year. In all, we didn’t feel good about creating a Showcase that was not up to our standards and current development vision, so we decided to take that effort and put it into modes our community requests we keep improving: WWE Universe and MyCareer.

IGN released more roster confirmations today:
    • AJ Styles.
    • Alexa Bliss.
    • Alundra Blayze.
    • Arn Anderson.
    • Bam Bam Bigelow.
    • Becky Lynch.
    • Bo Dallas.
    • Bubba Ray Dudley.
    • Bushwhacker Butch.
    • Bushwhacker Luke.
    • Christian.
    • Curtis Axel.
    • Dana Brooke.
    • Dolph Ziggler
    • D-Von Dudley.
    • Emma.
    • Eva Marie.
    • Fandango.
    • Kofi Kingston.
    • Lita.
    • Mr. Perfect.
    • Naomi.
    • Natalya.
    • Neville.
    • Randy Savage.
    • Rick Rude.
    • Rikishi.
    • Shawn Michaels.
    • Stardust.
    • Sting.
    • Summer Rae.
    • Tamina.
    • Tatsumi Fujinami.
    • Trish Stratus.
    • Tyler Breeze.
    • Xavier Woods.

Here's a video and some screenshots:
    The New Day's Tag Championship Entrance:

AJ Styles:
    aj-styles-2jpg-a767bb_765w.jpg
    aj-styles-1jpg-a767ba_765w.jpg

Becky Lynch:
    becky-lynchjpg-a767bc_765w.jpg

Bubba Ray Dudley:
    bubba-ray-dudley-2jpg-d4c8d9_765w.jpg

An IGN Article:
    WWE 2K17: The 6 Biggest Changes So Far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

The ladder match changes are welcomed...except that you can now only place the ladder in certain spots. I'm sorry but I loved being able to place the ladder anywhere, cause it meant we could set up big spots or do big finishers out of nowhere that'd make everyone shout "**** that was cool!".

Not sure the ladder match has improved too much. In real life, wrestlers generally don't stand at the top of the ladder struggling to unhook the case. The real drama is them struggling to climb after severe fatigue. This should be the same. The longer the match goes, the longer it should take to climb the ladder. Once at the top, you should have 5-10 seconds to pull it down. Simple

Some really good videos of the new game, particularly the backstage brawling one:
    WWE 2K17 - Backstage Brawl Gameplay Montage
    WWE 2K17 - Fun With Ladders

Looks like something from the PS2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭brianregan09

The crowd still looks amazingly bad and why is King still a commentator plus the fact they didn't even get his entrance right he comes straight to pyro and it bates off him and comes flying out of it blowing smoke out his mouth :(

• Advertisement

The crowd still looks amazingly bad and why is King still a commentator plus the fact they didn't even get his entrance right he comes straight to pyro and it bates off him and comes flying out of it blowing smoke out his mouth :(

Sounds like King had a sore throat the day he was recording commentary for it as well so that's going to be great to listen to :rolleyes:

Other sports games can look amazing on this gen hardware but wrestling games just never made the jump with visuals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I don't know why people are such sheep and pardon the pun flock to buy this game every year , I bought the last one when it was half nothing on the PSN store and even then played it for about a day and never went back to it , Like from the PS2 games it seems to take 1 step forward and 2 back every year

Why not put a linear story mode in there that isn't something that already happened it can't be that hard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭showpony1

I don't know why people are such sheep and pardon the pun flock to buy this game every year , I bought the last one when it was half nothing on the PSN store and even then played it for about a day and never went back to it , Like from the PS2 games it seems to take 1 step forward and 2 back every year

Why not put a linear story mode in there that isn't something that already happened it can't be that hard

story/career mode was my favourite thing on the old PS2 games, i just wanted to pick a superstar and play through shows and ppvs, not interested in CAW modes and playing a load of stories from the mid 90s i already know.

Some more confirmations were released by IGN yesterday:
    • Alberto Del Rio
    • Big Cass
    • Big Show
    • Bray Wyatt
    • Brock Lesnar
    • Carmella
    • Chad Gable
    • Darren Young
    • Dash Wilder
    • Diamond Dallas Page
    • Earthquake
    • Enzo Amore
    • Goldberg
    • Jason Jordan
    • JBL
    • Mark Henry
    • Paige
    • Razor Ramon
    • Ric Flair
    • Rusev
    • Sami Zayn
    • Samoa Joe
    • Sasha Banks
    • Scott Dawson
    • Sheamus
    • The Miz
    • Titus O'Neil
    • Typhoon
    • Zack Ryder
    You can see the list for yourself along with the renders and some more in game shots here.

Here's a few screenshots which might be of interest:
    Sasha Banks
    sasha-banksjpg-3130fc_765w.jpg
    The Revival
    the-revivaljpg-7b1992_765w.jpg
    Alberto Del Rio
    alberto-del-riojpg-3130f9_765w.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭max life

I really like some of the additions to DLC this year:

Austin Aries
    The Godfather
    Luke Gallows
    Karl Anderson
    Kerry Von Erich
    Mojo Rawley
    Papa Shango
    Tye Dillinger
    Eddie Guerrero

I thought Mojo Rawley would make the on-disc roster myself.

Kerry Von Erich is a strange choice. Looking forward to playing as him though cos he was one of my favourites when I was a kid

Full Dlc revealed:

FUTURE STARS PACK

Fans who purchase this separately from the season pass can get it for US$8.99. This WWE 2K17 DLC pack adds the following superstars to the game:

Austin Aries
    Karl Anderson
    Luke Gallows
    Mojo Rawley
    Tye Dillinger
    HALL OF FAME SHOWCASE

This is available for US$9.99 separately. Much like last year’s Hall of Fame showcase, this will add new characters and newer versions of confirmed ones. Here are the matches and characters, along with the arenas:

Cactus Jack & Diamond Dallas Page vs. The Fabulous Freebirds (Jimmy Garvin & Michael “P.S.” Hayes) (WCW Saturday Night 1992)
    The Fabulous Freebirds (Buddy Roberts & Michael “P.S.” Hayes) vs. Kerry & Kevin Von Erich (WCCW 1986)
    Ivory vs. Jacqueline (SmackDown 2000)
    Sting (gold and black tights) vs. Ric Flair (Clash of Champions 1988)
    Sting (n.W.o. Wolfpac ring gear) vs. Bret Hart (WCW Halloween Havoc 1998)
    Papa Shango vs. The Godfather (Dream Match)
    Big Boss Man (with Albert) vs. Big Show (Armageddon 1999)
    LEGENDS PACK

This features even more legends. For US$8.99, players will be able to use the following characters:

Brutus “The Barber” Beefcake
    Eddie Guerrero
    Greg “The Hammer” Valentine
    Sycho Sid
    Tatanka
    NXT ENHANCEMENT PACK

This adds the characters from the NXT edition of the game.

Apollo Crews
    Nia Jax
    Shinsuke Nakamura
    Unlike the rest of the DLC, this will not be part of the season pass. The same goes for Goldberg. It costs US$9.99.

VARIOUS WWE 2K17 DLC

Other WWE 2K17 DLC that will be in the season pass include:

Accelerator (Unlock all characters and arenas that need VC) US$4.99
    New Moves Pack (Includes moves from Zack Ryder, Samoa Joe and Charlotte) US$3.99
    My Player Kickstart (Adjustable stats and all clothes for My Career) US$9.99, not in season pass.

While some of the DLC is really good all I'm interested in hearing about these so called improvements to universe mode. I find I spend most of my time in that mode and considering they've scrapped showcase mode they really need to improve universe mode to warrant a purchase.

If they end up wit the same tired format of having the people in a feud unrealistically fight each other week in week out I'm not interested.

Looks like the career mode revolves around being a Paul Heyman guy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement