Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WWE 2K17 Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

God, that looks beyond terrible. What a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

That's like very early PS3 quality visuals, right?

It's pretty pathetic that No Mercy is probably still the best wrestling game. Had Aki managed to make a WWE game for the generation after the N64, with mods it'd be out and out the best wrestling game now.

Speaking of Aki, is this any good? http://www.metacritic.com/game/gamecube/ultimate-muscle-legends-vs-new-generation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Definitely not getting this game this year. With the PSVR coming out and all, I'm giving it a big miss.

It'll be half price come December anyhow

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Definitely not getting this game this year. With the PSVR coming out and all, I'm giving it a big miss.

Drops to crazy low prices after Mania. And even then I won't buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

gerrybbadd wrote: »

Careful with the VR choice. I wouldn't take a €400 gamble on it or stuff like Resi 7 being good.
    I find now when I don't pre order I am saving a lot of money. I wonder how these wwe games are selling lately, most fans & critics seem bored of their offerings so it there must have a reason for not changing it.

ERG89 wrote: »
    Careful with the VR choice. I wouldn't take a €400 gamble on it or stuff like Resi 7 being good.
    I find now when I don't pre order I am saving a lot of money. I wonder how these wwe games are selling lately, most fans & critics seem bored of their offerings so it there must have a reason for not changing it.

The reason is presumably that there's no way they'd build a competent new engine along with an entirely new game in the space of a year. It's still enough of a cash cow for WWE that they wouldn't dare allow a year to go by without a new one.

That being said, I'd gladly take an absolute rushed ****fest of a game for one year in exchange for a game the year after that doesn't feel almost identical to their outings on PS2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,518 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

The reason is presumably that there's no way they'd build a competent new engine along with an entirely new game in the space of a year. It's still enough of a cash cow for WWE that they wouldn't dare allow a year to go by without a new one.

That being said, I'd gladly take an absolute rushed ****fest of a game for one year in exchange for a game the year after that doesn't feel almost identical to their outings on PS2.

Will this year definitely feels like a rushed ****fest so we may be in luck next time around. :pac:

I wonder are they building something in the background for next year? Surely some reason for the extreme low-key features this year?

This will be the worst sales year yet I imagine. I've no facts on it, but I've been a loyal purchaser for the last 20+ years and this is the end of the road for me.... I'm guessing there's a lot more in the same boat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Sirsok

I wonder are they building something in the background for next year? Surely some reason for the extreme low-key features this year?

This will be the worst sales year yet I imagine. I've no facts on it, but I've been a loyal purchaser for the last 20+ years and this is the end of the road for me.... I'm guessing there's a lot more in the same boat?

Yeah im out to, I even used to buy soecific consoles to get the different offering of wwe games, like day of reckoning (amazing game) the raw games and obviously smackdown games, but that last few installments have been to.pisspoor. the attitude era one was ok, but thats purely due to the showcase mode, the gameplay is so **** and slow.

They have all the tools.for something great but no never do anything with it. Id love to slap the main guy in developing this and tell him how to make it great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

I usually get either FIFA or WWE on release and get the other around Xmas. But this year I think I'll be getting FIFA. At least that has a n interesting new mode with The Journey.

If they drastically change up Universe mode I might reconsider. Doubtful tho at this stage

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I used to buy the WWE game each year. I bowed out last year and didn't buy WWE 2k16 and I didn't miss it.

I was interested in the fact showcase is gone and they were building universe mode up more. But seeing as they haven't mentioned universe mode yet it looks like it's going to be their throw away mode again instead of making it their star.

Nothing stopping them making an engine independently of the development of the yearly releases. Like every other sports game has done. It might actually explain why the wwe games are stagnant for so long.
    Find myself fortunate to have played good wrestling games but certainly none have ever appeared on a HD console.

ERG89 wrote: »
    Nothing stopping them making an engine independently of the development of the yearly releases. Like every other sports game has done. It might actually explain why the wwe games are stagnant for so long.
    Find myself fortunate to have played good wrestling games but certainly none have ever appeared on a HD console.
    With declining profit margins that are arguably completely disconnected to the quality of the games (I'd say wwe games live and die on the basis of how little else comes out around their release more than anything, with the exception of how hot the product is), there's very little incentive to make that absolutely huge investment.

Excluding gigantic money making monsters like Fifa, most other sports games are just their engine. A big problem with wrestling is that as a game, the window dressing is always going to be a much bigger selling point than the quality of the game. The only reason they'll make a new engine is if the current one is utterly incapable of moving up to the next generation of machines or causes some unavoidable issues with the visuals. As **** as the visuals look for a modern game (imo), they're not what puts me off even entertaining the idea of a new wwe game. They need to come up with a whole new approach to structuring the game and I don't think that'd be even possible from the guys who've been making them for a decade and a half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

I can never get excited for a WWE game anymore ever since THQ went under. THQ would usually keep us up to date with the game from E3 to release date with screenshots, videos and give us full information on any changes in the new game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,314 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

hmmm hopefully it will be games with gold next year gave up on this years one as i could not get out of NXT could never get the title shot lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭max life

I always get COD, Fifa and WWE game every year on release day without fail. However, this year I will wait for it to drop in price. I just cant get excited about it any more. Its a long time since there were any big changes in the game

https://wwe.2k.com/news/wwe-2k17-universe-mode

Well there we are, Universe mode is still just pretty much the same again this year. A couple of minor additions but is just not enough to make me buy the game on release day.

Is Paul Heyman "writing" the storylines for it again?

So graphics so last gen along with out of date RAW and Smakdown sets and such turning me off even more

I can see the big feature next year.

WWE 2K18 - featuring the CRUISERWEIGHTS OF RAW!

• Advertisement

I just realised that nothing "New" has actually been added in years. It's all been stuff that was remove before or during the jump to current gen consoles, just slowly reintroduced every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭spektorfive

I finally got a PS4 and got WWE2k17 on pre-order. It's the first time I pre order a game since Batman: Arkham City.

I can't wait to play it. I understand GM mode is back which was my fav thing on the old Smackdown games. I still play 2k16 from last year. We all know about the old engine, how same game every year & how No Mercy is the greatest thing ever etc. But maybe we can talk about what where looking forward to this year? and get some positive vibes going.

I finally got a PS4 and got WWE2k17 on pre-order. It's the first time I pre order a game since Batman: Arkham City.

I can't wait to play it. I understand GM mode is back which was my fav thing on the old Smackdown games. I still play 2k16 from last year. We all know about the old engine, how same game every year & how No Mercy is the greatest thing ever etc. But maybe we can talk about what where looking forward to this year? and get some positive vibes going.

That's the thing though, I'm all for getting excited for a new game coming out but they haven't given us anything to get excited about.

That's the thing though, I'm all for getting excited for a new game coming out but they haven't given us anything to get excited about.

Tomorrow will tell a lot as the embargo will be lifted. Dedicated WWE Game youtubers, such as SmackTalks and Element Games have already confirmed that they will be uploading a number of new videos with some in depth info.

GM mode isn't back - are you mixing it up with Universe mode, which has been a feature now for years?

Maybe I got it wrong, I thought saw something on youtube about GM mode coming back, maybe I'm mixed up.

Maybe I got it wrong, I thought saw something on youtube about GM mode coming back, maybe I'm mixed up.

Be a good idea to do that and play a co-op mode where you and a friend pick rosters for each show to compete with one another to keep your roster happy, win the rumble/mitb for your show and maybe go head to head for free agents/legends. But no they don't try anything due to being too lazy or passionless to change something

Until they stop supporting PS3 and Xbox 360 I say this game will not move forward graphics wise

After watching Shinsuke's, that's it from me. 100% gone. Jesus christ almighty it's so bad. The graphics are cringe at this stage. He's invisible for the first 15 seconds of his entrance for some bizarre reason and the hair! MY god.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

After watching Shinsuke's, that's it from me. 100% gone. Jesus christ almighty it's so bad. The graphics are cringe at this stage. He's invisible for the first 15 seconds of his entrance for some bizarre reason and the hair! MY god.

He's actually the most dissappointing thing I've seen so far..
    As far as I know, TJ perkins was the one that mo-capped him. Hopefully they do what they did with Balor last year, and in the first patch, replace the entrance with one mo-capped by Nakamura himself. Also they left out his gum shield!?!?
    A bizarre omission given he's wrestled every single NXT match with it in, and it really adds to his overall creepiness / uniqueness :/

For anyone near the north I just saw that Sainsbury's in Newry are selling this for £39.99 for PS4 which is a steal considering the exchange rate. works out at €45 compared to the 64.99 - 74.99 you'd pay down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Anyone playing this? Any first impressions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Picking it up after work, will be reporting back then!

Got it at ten in work at 2 so trying to get in as much as I can. Huge update for online stuff so do that when I'm going to work. I love it so far. There a bunch of glitches. I had two matches frezze and had to restart. I somehow got two HHH, one in a suit & normal attire. Have to get use to all new systems.

I'm not keen on the player select screen, I prefer the set up from last year. Looking forward to starting my career mode tomorrow night.

First year since well.... probably ever, that I didn't get the game.

I might get it when it drops in price in the Black Friday sales.

Had a good laugh playin it earlier. Enjoying some of the changes and elements of the creation suite, especially online uploading images etc are greatly improved. A brilliant wee touch is if you are the New Day in a tag match and pick Xavier Woods as your manager he'll be at ringside playing franchesca the trombone while wearing his unicorn horn. If you attack him you can pick it up and play the "New.. Day.. Rocks" notes on it.

Made this AJ Styles Alt attire last night for anyone on PS4 that's interested. Last I looked it was the #1 most downloaded thing on community creations. G7LDbvG.jpg

Had a good laugh playin it earlier. Enjoying some of the changes and elements of the creation suite, especially online uploading images etc are greatly improved. A brilliant wee touch is if you are the New Day in a tag match and pick Xavier Woods as your manager he'll be at ringside playing franchesca the trombone while wearing his unicorn horn. If you attack him you can pick it up and play the "New.. Day.. Rocks" notes on it.

Made this AJ Styles Alt attire last night for anyone on PS4 that's interested. Last I looked it was the #1 most downloaded thing on community creations. G7LDbvG.jpg

Nice creation!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭showpony1

so whats the universe like? the main thing missing for me on most of these is the old story mode where you
    could pick a superstar and play through. im not into creating people so hate my career etc

Did anybody pick up a copy of the NXT version for PS4?

max life wrote: »
    Did anybody pick up a copy of the NXT version for PS4?

I ordered mine from Game UK months ago and still hasnt arrived yet :/

showpony1 wrote: »
    so whats the universe like? the main thing missing for me on most of these is the old story mode where you
    could pick a superstar and play through. im not into creating people so hate my career etc

Haven't tried Universe but you can clone a copy of an existing Wrestler and use them for My Career

Haven't tried Universe but you can clone a copy of an existing Wrestler and use them for My Career

dont you come up against yourself then at some stage lol

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Also interested in how Universe mode plays out this year as thats the mode I'd spend the most time in, if anyone has played it can they tell me if they've ironed out one of my pet hates in the game, when two wrestlers in a rivalry fight each other week in week out on Raw.

• Advertisement

looks like its no here comes the pain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Is the game PAINFULLY slow for anyone else? Matches are unplayable for me as everything is in slow motion

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

So what are peoples thoughts on the game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I like it alot so far , played mostly universe mode which is a lot better haven't touched my career mode , the matches themselves are alot more balanced so you can have some real cracking matches

• Advertisement
Advertisement