Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Male long hair - Barbers or Hairdressers for trim?

Options
  • 27-06-2016 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I want to get my hair trimmed, just a little, no more than 4cm off. Should I go to a barbers or go to a proper hairdressers? I'm leaning towards the latter - is there anything I need to know or any advice, its all new to me. I live in Dublin.

Thanks

For reference: Basically want it returned to this length (its a bit longer now):

rHR8kdY.png

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Go to a unisex hairdressers and bring the picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

Thanks! Any recommendations in Dublin by chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

You look like Jon Snow!

I would think you'd get a better cut at a proper hairdressers. How much are you willing to spend?

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

You said your Dublin based so it really is up to you. There are plenty of excellent barbers in Dublin I'm sure that have experience with long hair. The issue you have going to a womens hairdresser is they may not feel comfortable cutting male hair as they don't do it a lot or maybe never.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MinnieMinx

Bored_lad wrote: »
    ...The issue you have going to a womens hairdresser is they may not feel comfortable cutting male hair as they don't do it a lot or maybe never.

Really, that's interesting?
    I cut mens hair and most of my hairdressing buddies I trained with completed a men's hair cutting course after completing the basic women's hairdressing course although this was back in the UK so maybe it's different over here?
    You learn how to use professional clippers and combined with scissors, how to do various fade techniques etc.

Modern barbering should cover longer hairstyles on men so you should have the choice of barbers shop or hair salon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Bored_lad wrote: »
    You said your Dublin based so it really is up to you. There are plenty of excellent barbers in Dublin I'm sure that have experience with long hair. The issue you have going to a womens hairdresser is they may not feel comfortable cutting male hair as they don't do it a lot or maybe never.

I find this to be a very bizarre statement. If a PERSON has long hair as the OP does, what does it matter if they're male or female?

I would think a barber would be less likely to be comfortable cutting long hair as they mostly do variations on a short back and sides.

I've seen men in almost every salon I've ever gone to in the city at some point or other. For example, all Peter Marks salons are unisex.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

Thanks for the replies. I'll check out a few uni-sex hairdressers (via the magic of google) around town.

Suppose €50 is probably a fair price to pay would it? Literally just looking for a trim.

Cheers,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Style Club are in your budget and I've seen men there loads of times. They've a few salons, I'd recommend Grafton St or Swords.

Advertisement