Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting rid of polystyrene

Options
  • 27-06-2016 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭

Have moved into a new house recently, and with plenty of new appliances comes a load of polystrene.
    Is there any cheap way to get rid in Waterford? Don't think Kilbarry takes it.
    I feel if I'm going to be putting it in the black bin every 2 weeks, then it'll take about 2/3 months for it all to go.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Put it into a metal bucket and add petrol.

Not environmentally friendly, but effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Whoever sold you the goods should take back the wrapping.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

mikeecho wrote: »
    Put it into a metal bucket and add petrol.

Not environmentally friendly, but effective.

Sometimes place you bought the white goods will take it back, ring em.
    Does recycle centre in kilbarry take it.?
    It's not a bad insulation I would say so if you had large sheets that could be cut up to insulate water tank or under existing insulation in attic.
    Last resort, break into small pieces and black bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭morebarn2

Not so much an answer to your problem of disposing of it , but, Polystyrene is excellent for use in drainage in plant containers and window boxes. Its very light,so does not add to the weight of the container and reduces the amount of soil needed to fill them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Got an Attic? Throw it up there. It won't go off, it weights nothing and no wildlife will make a home in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Thanks all for replies. Will try the shops where we got the goods from in the morning. Hopefully they can take it. If not, I'll try kilbarry. Last resort would be attic then. Deffo not the petrol option. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

don't put in attic, polystyrene is highly flammable, if you ever had an electrical fault in the attic, the whole house could go up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

pack it into black bags and up to Kilbarry.. general waste is €4 a bag...

second option, I iwll say not sure if this still works, but before you could drive up to greenstar with rubbish in car, car gets weighed on way in, empty rubbish out and car gets weighed on way out and charged on how much you dumped, should be fairly cheap to do it that way, but give greenstar a ring beforehand to make sure they still do it, it was a while ago i last done that

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭looksee

robtri wrote: »
    pack it into black bags and up to Kilbarry.. general waste is €4 a bag...

second option, I iwll say not sure if this still works, but before you could drive up to greenstar with rubbish in car, car gets weighed on way in, empty rubbish out and car gets weighed on way out and charged on how much you dumped, should be fairly cheap to do it that way, but give greenstar a ring beforehand to make sure they still do it, it was a while ago i last done that

That's a good option, I did it with a car load of empty plastic plantpots and polystyrene containers, also one bag of heavy stuff. Got rid of the lot for €10.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭e.r

Give it to the kids on the road to make fake snow :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Brought it around to the back of Harvey Norman. They took a full car load of the stuff. Happy days - and all for free. Just make sure to bring receipt of purchases in case they ask. They didn't ask for anything off me.

Advertisement