Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flight training (Modular)

Options
  • 27-06-2016 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Hi,
    Last year I started the PPL, got a few hours done but didn't do too much after that since I was doing the leaving cert as an adult through my job in the Defence Forces, great opportunity..
    My plan was to obtain the leaving so I could apply for the EI cadetship scheme, but I dropped one of the honours I was doing to ordinary so I don't meet the requirement now since they look for 2 HL, I started off at 4 honours and gradually dropped, it was hard to pick it up after been out of school for so long, but flew through the ordinary papers this year. So anyway, I'm looking to go back to flight training Modular in NFC, and I'm wondering has anyone that might see this done a modular programme and work full time, and how often would I want to be flying to progress?
    Most weekends I'd be free, some days during the week I could be off or finish early, with all this time I would be using it as much as I can to get the hours up depending on availability and weather.
    Any information from anyone with their own experience would be appreciated, or drop a PM, I can chat with the instructors and so on but would like to hear some previous students experience who may have done it this way..
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

I'm working full time and I'm doing my ATPLs with Bristol at the moment. I know 2 other lads from this forum doing similar. It took me a year to get my ppl, it's difficult to combine it with work, but it is possible. Generally the biggest problem was the weather - you really need to maximize on the good weather days, on long summer evenings on so on. For 2 consecutive winters since I've been doing my flying, you can pretty much forget about flying in this country from November till mid-March.

I'm supposed to be doing hourbuilding now but it's just not happening.. It's windy today. If it's not windy, it's rainy.. if it's not rainy, the visibility is terrible.. this has been the story so far this summer. It is very frustrating but at the same time, once you get a good spell, it's very rewarding too. So you have to be patient.

My best advice I can give you is use every opportunity to get out and fly. For this you will obviously need a financial cushion, so don't go out clubin when the weather is not there. When it will come together, you will need every last drop of those savings

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Seanmul89

martinsvi wrote: »
    I'm working full time and I'm doing my ATPLs with Bristol at the moment. I know 2 other lads from this forum doing similar. It took me a year to get my ppl, it's difficult to combine it with work, but it is possible. Generally the biggest problem was the weather - you really need to maximize on the good weather days, on long summer evenings on so on. For 2 consecutive winters since I've been doing my flying, you can pretty much forget about flying in this country from November till mid-March.

I'm supposed to be doing hourbuilding now but it's just not happening.. It's windy today. If it's not windy, it's rainy.. if it's not rainy, the visibility is terrible.. this has been the story so far this summer. It is very frustrating but at the same time, once you get a good spell, it's very rewarding too. So you have to be patient.

My best advice I can give you is use every opportunity to get out and fly. For this you will obviously need a financial cushion, so don't go out clubin when the weather is not there. When it will come together, you will need every last drop of those savings

Hi, thanks for the reply. I know its a joke trying to do it here, I started the PPL last year and the amount of days I had to put back on lessons because of weather.
    Some weeks I finish early enough, most weekends off also, I have plenty of annual leave to use up so ill be taking that wisely. Id say I will get the ground school completed fairly quick, I put all this to a hold since last year as i was doing the Leaving Cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭hilisa

Seanmul89 wrote: »
    Hi, thanks for the reply. I know its a joke trying to do it here, I started the PPL last year and the amount of days I had to put back on lessons because of weather.
    Some weeks I finish early enough, most weekends off also, I have plenty of annual leave to use up so ill be taking that wisely. Id say I will get the ground school completed fairly quick, I put all this to a hold since last year as i was doing the Leaving Cert.

Hi, interested to see if this is working out for you, wanted to pursue this myself

Advertisement