Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In a really bad place (mentally)

Options
  • 27-06-2016 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'd really appreciate any help or advice you might have.

Having worked in banking for 20 years I took redundancy in March. Being not familiar with the external jobs market, I was approached via Linkedin by an agency that places staff in banks on a contract basis - I signed a contract with this agency whereby they employ me and in effect lease me out. That was two weeks ago today.

Well, now in my first placement and I am really struggling. The work is not as described and certainly does not fill my skill set. I feel like walking out and am not sleeping well. This is not a knee jerk reaction either, the area is never going to change and suit me, it's totally different work processes.

Does anyone know where I stand from a legal perspective with the agency, can I ask them to cancel my employment with them and walk away?

Any advice is really welcome, I feel so trapped and depressed.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Talk to the agency.

Given the circumstances, they may be expecting that you will struggle.

It's likely they have placed you in one of their more difficult to fill roles to start with, to see if you can cope with it. It's likely they will have easier roles which need to be filled too.

Like any job, you are free to resign at any time. Depending on the contract you have, you may also be free to turn down specific assignments they offer you.

The most important thing is that you keep them informed, so that they don't let their client down because they don't know what's happening with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

Well, now in my first placement and I am really struggling. The work is not as described and certainly does not fill my skill set. I feel like walking out and am not sleeping well. This is not a knee jerk reaction either, the area is never going to change and suit me, it's totally different work processes.

Does anyone know where I stand from a legal perspective with the agency, can I ask them to cancel my employment with them and walk away?

two weeks in is too soon for it to be all the job...

quit and take some time to find a job you really are suited for.

no job is worth your health.

feeling trapped in a job you dont like or feel overwhelmed in is normal, feeling depressed isnt.

get some help from family and friends and tell the agency you would like something more suited to your skill set.

Advertisement