Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 - Round of 16 - Italy vs Spain, 5 pm, TV3, BBC

• 27-06-2016 4:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

italy-spain-graphic-euros-euro-2016-badge_3489465.jpg?20160624075228

Italy vs Spain

5:00pm Monday 27th June
    Stade De France

Team news:

Italy (3-1-4-2) Buffon; Barzagli, Bonucci, Chiellini; De Rossi; Florenzi, Parolo, Giaccherini, Di Sciglio; Pelle, Eder.

Spain (4-1-2-3) De Gea; Juanfran, Pique, Ramos, Jordi Alba; Busquets; Fabregas, Iniesta, Silva, Morata, Nolito.

Italy make 7 changes from the team that lost to Ireland, which is no great surprise. Spain keep the same team.

I can see this one going to extra-time and maybe even penalties. I sense that Spain will just about edge this one but I want Italy to go through because of the way many of their players were happy for us when we beat them.

Who do you think wins it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

I think Italy will win, they looked an impressive unit in their first two games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

Tough one to call. I would have thought Spain to win easily, but after the Croats did them I'm not too sure. I'll go with 2-1 to Spain after ET.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I'd prefer Conte in London at this stage but I do fancy the Italians to beat Spain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I just want goals like Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

2 footballing powers who never seem to bring much travelling support..... especially Spain, who seem to have fewer fans than Romania had in this stadium 2 weeks ago

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Come on Italy. Love buffon after our match against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭derm0j073

Buffon looked super relaxed in the tunnel all smiles , winks and thumbs up. He has his game face on now. I fancy Italy to win this.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Ah, Cuneyt again. Would be hilarious if first thing he did was give a foul for a high foot...

derm0j073 wrote: »
    He has his game face on now. I fancy Italy to win this.

I'm predicting Busquets to dive Spain to a narrow victory.

Jaysus that's some rain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Conte reminds me of Sylvio from the Sopranos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Are people leaving because of the rain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Literal fairweather fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Debil

Poor dotes

Taking shelter several rows up.
    Every staircase looks packed.

Smashing save.

Madrid should offer Utd stupid money for DeGea.

Great save.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

De Gea having a good one so far

DDG to the rescue again.

De Gea looks sharp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Antonio Conte: The Italian Tony Pulis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

dfx- wrote: »
    Ah, Cuneyt again. Would be hilarious if first thing he did was give a foul for a high foot...
    Bingo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,198 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Wouldn't of stood because of a high foot. That Turkish ref really annoys me how Uefa rate him so highly baffles me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

paulie21 wrote: »
    Wouldn't of stood because of a high foot. That Turkish ref really annoys me how Uefa rate him so highly baffles me

I think that's the same ref who gave Nani a red card in the Champions league a few years ago for a high foot when trying to control a ball and where he make not too much contact with an opposition player...

This same ref waved play on in the Ireland Vs Belgium game when a Belgian player almost took the head of Shane Long with a kick to the head in the penalty area... We know the rest...

This guy is a poor referee prone to rash decisions... or no decision when he should make one...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Strumms wrote: »
    I think that's the same ref who gave Nani a red card in the Champions league a few years ago for a high foot when trying to control a ball and where he make not too much contact with an opposition player...

This same ref waved play on in the Ireland Vs Belgium game when a Belgian player almost took the head of Shane Long with a kick to the head in the penalty area... We know the rest...

This guy is a poor referee prone to rash decisions... or no decision when he should make one...

He also gave us a soft penalty away in Poland in our last qualifier for the Euros for a high leg.

FWIW, I dont think it was a penalty on Long but given the evidence that he does seem to punish high leg challenges, it was strange he didnt blow on that occasion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

Nice save, Italy's defence is decent

Damn Ramos so close to an OG - I'd have liked that a lot!

HA!

Italy scores

Goal for Italy! Chiellini!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Spain are not the side they were. Whatever about Italy replacing Pirlo but who will replace Iniesta?
    G'man Giorgio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Italy finally find a way past DDG

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Spain very slow to react

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

GOAL!'!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

They deserve that. Forza Azzurri!!

Deserved

• Advertisement

Spain are lucky that was a goal and not a red card/peno!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Keeper really should be pushing that wide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,744 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Dreadful keeping

It was coming, Ramos can be a bit of a spanner sometimes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

ERG89 wrote: »
    Spain are not the side they were. Whatever about Italy replacing Pirlo but who will replace Iniesta?
    G'man Giorgio

They really aren't are they? Long gone the days where this would just be endless passing with Italy holding their shape, Spain passing it left to right looking for a gap. Spain look scrappy and out of sorts.

Very poor by De Gea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

A shocking howler from De Gea.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Woeful from Spain, especially De Gea. How was he not screaming for a spanish player to stand behind the two Italians in the wall? They stepped aside and the ball had a clear route to goal, just daylight between it and De Gea.

And he needed to push that away further.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    He also gave us a soft penalty away in Poland in our last qualifier for the Euros for a high leg.

FWIW, I dont think it was a penalty on Long but given the evidence that he does seem to punish high leg challenges, it was strange he didnt blow on that occasion.

Probably not the thread for it but if you kick somone in the neck / head it constitutes dangerous play at the very least so it would be a foul I don't think many people have debated that is wasn't.

players fans and managers want referees to get the big decisions right. Nobody talks after a game really about the corner that should have been, the foul throw that wasn't one etc... but when you make big mistakes like this guy has you should not get rewarded by furthing your officiating at a tournament or being picked for one... like the Danish guy and his assistants who despite Henry playing basketball in Paris against us and he and his mates missing it, was subsequently rewarded with a place at the World Cup.

Players don't perform.. they don't get picked.. referees...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Would that have been yellow for De Gea under the new rules of it was a pen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

You have to laugh at the BBC commentary; "a decent save". Ridiculous comment; De Gea pushed it straight back out (instead of out wide), and would probably have conceded a penalty and possibly (probably?) been sent off if the third attempt hadn't gone in. Very poor keeping.

if this game was on RTE 100% there would be a Dunphy mulitple-orgasm commentary at the half-time panel about the Italian defenders.

Really dissapointed in Spain and surprised how good Italy have been... they seem to have a hunger. Maybe not the most talented Italian side individually that we have seen over the years but they work hard and I'm not ruling them going all the way...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Very poor from De Gea, Forza Italy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Definitely something strange going on with Cakir. He's an appalling referee yet seems to constantly get selected for big games. He must have a lot of dirt on the assessors!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Would that have been yellow for De Gea under the new rules of it was a pen?

I'd say so.

• Advertisement
Advertisement