Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 10 Upgrade Problem

• 27-06-2016 4:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

My parents have a Dell Dimension 8300. It's got Windows 7 SP1 and I was trying to upgrade it to Windows 10. It's a Pentium 4 3GHz with 2GB RAM.
    Yet I am getting an error CPU Not Supported.

I did some reading.
    Some report this is a bug with the 32bit of Windows 7 upgrade app
    I tried a "solution" posted here
    The NX bit is enabled.
    The Microsoft Update KB2952664 is installed
    I tried via CMD (Administrator) to refresh the Compatibility Appraiser here

I also tried an manual install from here

Nothing seems to work.
    Does anyone have any help on this

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

things to try
    Upgrade the BIOS ? , A07 has some microcode

another option might be to upgrade the CPU but it looks like there were two different revisions of the motherboard, with the later ones supporting newer CPU's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

It looks like there may be a set of instructions that support the NX bit. These don't appear on CPU-Z. (VT-d and VT-x)
    The CPU (Northwood)supports MMX and SSE. (attached)

390224.png

Capt: I've never upgraded a BIOS before. ?

Northwood P4s don't support the NX bit. Only later Prescott P4s do. So even if the BIOS has the option, it can't enable it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Bios upgrade is just downloading and running a program. easy peasy , just don't unplug the power half way through as you may "brick" the motherboard. (it's not a good thing)

Oh well you may try to upgrade the CPU

try ebay / adverts but YMMV

If there is one thing I *HATE* it's when companies ship different hardware with the same model no. ( Belkin are perhaps the worst offenders but D-Link and the rest aren't too far behind )

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19485938
    The early 8300 systems are limited to 2.8 GHz, but the ones built in late 2003, can take the faster processors, with a BIOS upgrade to version A07.

A Socket 478, P4 3.4GHz processor will only work, if your 8300 was built after December 2003 and with a BIOS upgrade to version A07, if it was built prior to that, the 3.4GHz processor would clock down to 2.8GHz.

Yes the clock speeds are the same as you'd get on the newest computers but today's CPU's use less power and are smarter. If it's going to be on all the time it will use LOT of electricity.

Advertisement