Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA 2016-17 Preseason News.

Options
  • 27-06-2016 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭

In the first WTF moment of the summer, si.com reports Warriors considering hiring Mike Brown.

The Golden State Warriors are expected to hire Mike Brown to replace assistant Luke Walton, who recently left to coach the Los Angeles Lakers, reports Marc Stein of ESPN.
    Brown and former Sacramento Kings interim coach Tyrone Corbin reportedly appeared to be the top-two targets for the position during the finals.
    Corbin was hired as an assistant on Earl Watson’s staff with the Phoenix Suns, leaving Brown as the favorite to join Steve Kerr’s staff.
    Brown has previously served as the head coach with the Cleveland Cavaliers for two separate stints, and with the Lakers. He has a career record of 347–216.

Mike Brown is a joke, that's a serious backwards move for them if they do that. His analysis on TV is appalling - you'd see more sense on here at times - and that's saying something.

KD is interviewing teams from this Friday in NY. In the mix at the moment are OKC, Boston, NY (:rolleyes:), GS, Miami, the Clippers and the Spurs. Decision by July 9th apparently.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

The NBA coaching carousel is just ridiculous. The same old bland, boring, failed coaches getting gig, after gig, after gig over and over again.

I said it before on here but there's a handful of elite coaches in the league, a very small handful of young, promising head coaches, and everyone else falls into the above of being proven failures.

If I can't get one of the elite, I'm looking outside the box and going abroad or to college.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 344 ✭✭Kobe248

Paully D wrote: »
    The NBA coaching carousel is just ridiculous. The same old bland, boring, failed coaches getting gig, after gig, after gig over and over again.

I said it before on here but there's a handful of elite coaches in the league, a very small handful of young, promising head coaches, and everyone else falls into the above of being proven failures.

If I can't get one of the elite, I'm looking outside the box and going abroad or to college.

For the life of me

Id rather take a chance with a coach from college than proven failure

Whats the worst that could happen, they get a lottery pick

Look what Boston did, surely thats the way to go

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Of all people though, Mike Brown. The guy is just a fraud, thinks he can smile his way out of every situation. I wouldn't trust him with a pair of scissors, let alone an elite basketball team.

I'd go for Shaka Smart myself. Or Blatt (seriously - he got screwed by LeJon). Or steal Messina from the Spurs.

Gasol declines final year of contract from Chicago and opts for Free Agency. No real shock there.

Wade open to offers as talks with Miami stall.

• Advertisement

Boston meeting with Dwight Howard. As a C's fan, I'm praying this does not happen.

Wade open to offers as talks with Miami stall.
    Boston meeting with Dwight Howard. As a C's fan, I'm praying this does not happen.

Wade is just playing Miami

Hes done it before

Dwight would be a good signing for Celtics imo

They pretty similar to Magic from back in the day

Kobe248 wrote: »
    Wade is just playing Miami

Hes done it before

Dwight would be a good signing for Celtics imo

They pretty similar to Magic from back in the day

Normally i'd agree Wade isn't going anywhere, and I think it's likely he won't, but there's a chance he could sign a 1 year deal with the Cavs and rejoin LeJon.

On Howard, just no. He's a shadow of what he was, but the problem with him isn't on the court, it's everything else he brings.

Normally i'd agree Wade isn't going anywhere, and I think it's likely he won't, but there's a chance he could sign a 1 year deal with the Cavs and rejoin LeJon.

On Howard, just no. He's a shadow of what he was, but the problem with him isn't on the court, it's everything else he brings.

I dunno I see a resurgence in Dwight

Houston was a terrible fit for him

I dunno I see a resurgence in Dwight

Houston was a terrible fit for him

Agree the fit was bad but he's behaved like a child for 4 seasons now, 1 in LA and 3 in Houston. More actually if you count the last year(s) in Orlando. It's his attitude that's the problem. He's a coach killer, a poor team mate and "soft". He wants to be liked more than he wants to win.

• Advertisement

Agree the fit was bad but he's behaved like a child for 4 seasons now, 1 in LA and 3 in Houston. More actually if you count the last year(s) in Orlando. It's his attitude that's the problem. He's a coach killer, a poor team mate and "soft". He wants to be liked more than he wants to win.

Agree

Still think next year he will be back as a all star

Harden is a team mate killer for me

And Im Kobe biggest fan but he's not easy to deal with from a mega star's pof

Pau is the only one who has been able to stick with him

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭limerickfc

Some crazy money being thrown around in the first few hours, that kanter contract isn't looking so bad now

limerickfc wrote: »
    Some crazy money being thrown around in the first few hours, that kanter contract isn't looking so bad now

New salary cap.

If you think it's bad this year, wait until next....when it rises again but way more dramatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,312 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Mozgov 65 / 4 is outrageous. Wtf
    Looking like 72 / 4 for Noah too. Ridiculous stuff for washed up big men.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

At this rate, I just hope the Pacers don't sign anyone. Wait it out 3 years when every team is broke paying bench players 20 million a year, then do something.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Mozgov 65 / 4 is outrageous. Wtf
    Looking like 72 / 4 for Noah too. Ridiculous stuff for washed up big men.

It is, but that's the market........

Same as Premiership soccer players getting stupid money for being average, whilst better players in Serie A, Bundesliga, La Liga etc. are on less (not saying any of those guys will go broke now btw!).

It's going to be worse next year btw. Cleveland are reportedly angling to pay he whose name shall not be mentioned €205m over 5 years.

You'll have a lot of teams who will WAY overpay guys and tie them down to multi-year massive contracts in the next few years. There will be panic buying this year and next as teams will fear being caught up in the value market. Whilst paying a guy like Mosgov €16m+ a year now seems crazy, in 3 years €16m will be a middle of the road contract and guys will be buying guys just to dump contracts at that price.

What tends to happen in situations like this is the rich get richer, and the poor get poorer - even in salary cap situations.

I kind of liked what the Knicks did with the Rose trade as it gave them a shot to nothing: either Rose worked out brilliantly and they could be in prime position to hold onto him or he plays like he has been doing and they release him with a ton of cap room for next year. Sacrificing Lopez and clearing Calderon was a reasonable price to pay.

But investing $72m in Noah is just terrible in my view. While he was an elite rim protector between 2010 and 2014 he's been decidedly average in his 96 games over the past two years. Guaranteeing that fourth year makes the deal particularly terrible too. I can just see it being dead cap commitment by that stage. Like what are they even trying to do here? The Rose deal looked like clearing the way to undertake a rebuild next year. But if they're actually thinking of trying to win with Melo / Rose / Noah they're insane.

DeMar DeRozan's and Bradley Beal's new deals are more than Jordan, Bird, and Magic made in their entire careers. Combined.

minimum wage has gone up like 30 cents in that time, just for some perspective.

We're going to see a lot of this:
    Al Jefferson: 16.7 career PPG, $10M next year
    Timofey Mozgov: 6.9 career PPG $16M next year

PLUS....OJ MAYO just got a 2 year ban from the league for drug violation......of the performance enhancing rather than recreational kind.

• Advertisement

Beal $128M
    DeRozan $139M
    Drummond $130M

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Batum $120M

10 mill a year isn't bad for Al to be fair. It's a good move by the Pacers.

Jeremy Lin and Ish Smith have been the best value deals done so far.

From a Lakers point of view

Im not to disheartened with Mosgov deal

We got Clarkson on a reasonable deal aswell

Anyways Mosgov will fill a big gap for us

Hibbert just couldnt protect the paint with Randle

Mosgov should

Its a deal that in 2 years will be easy to move aswell

Like were not getting any of the top tier players

This is a stepping stone signing and a good one for me

Evan Turner got 4/75mil, that might actually be worst.

From a Lakers point of view

Im not to disheartened with Mosgov deal

We got Clarkson on a reasonable deal aswell

Anyways Mosgov will fill a big gap for us

Hibbert just couldnt protect the paint with Randle

Mosgov should

Its a deal that in 2 years will be easy to move aswell

Like were not getting any of the top tier players

This is a stepping stone signing and a good one for me

You probably should be though:

Mozgov was good in the 2015 playoffs and in stretches for Denver. But at the backend of this season he was frankly off an NBA standard, and wasn't getting minutes in the playoffs for good reason. IF he is healthy and playing his best stuff he would represent an upgrade on Hibbert of 2016. Will be an expensive bench player if not...

My head hurts reading this stuff.

Interesting.......:rolleyes:

CmQY-sqUsAAFL3Y.jpg

Evan Turner to Portland for $70M over 4 years. He made $4M this year.

That's a hole for Boston to fill now, and as much as I want it to happen I don't think KD will be filling it.

• Advertisement

Not surprised to see that tbh. Hibbert looks worse because he's more exposed when on the floor, but it was clear all the same that Mozgov had dropped off considerably.

Advertisement