Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA 2016-17 Preseason News.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I think Westbrook will stay this season and walk next summer.

Tell you what though, I know who'll be winning scoring title next year..........and who'll have a decent shot at MVP (depending on how many games they win).

If you're Sam Presti, you have to be fired after this. First they let Harden go for SFA because they refused to pay the luxury tax. That refusal to pay has cost them a title, no question in my mind. The Cavs were the biggest sinners on the luxury tax front this year but does anyone in Cleveland care as they won a title? No.

Now he's failed to keep KD. Westbrook will leave, be that in a trade this summer (unlikely) or IMO next summer when he's a FA. It's over for OKC unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

I would just love to hear one coherent argument as to why this is anything but awful for the league. One of the best players in the league just joined the team that was the best team of the last two years. The Thunder are completely gone. The league was already extremely top heavy.

Really makes me respect what the Pacers accomplished from 2012-2014 the old fashioned way.

It doesn't speak well for someone's competitive desire when they lose a close 7 game series to a team, then join the team they lost to instead of trying to beat them again. Doesn't really have anything to do with Bird or Magic, especially considering that Durant already played with one of the best players in the league. It's not like he didn't have help.

This has to be virtually unprecedented. Way beyond what Lebron did because Lebron went to a new team that hadn't had success in several years. He immediately owned their identity. Durant will never have that kind of identity in GS because they easily could have won it without him.

I have a strange feeling he's actually going to move. I didn't think so until last night and this morning. Obviously I have no insight into this, but something in my gut is telling me he's gone.

:D:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,980 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Cavs will be at a great bargain price at the bookies after this. Well worth a a few quid. Signing Durant means GSW will be down a couple of role players. An injury will ruin them

Only guy they absolutely have to move now contract wise is Barnes - and talk about an upgrade. They could stick with the remaining roster and pay the luxury tax. Biggest offender on the luxury tax bill this year? The Cavs. It pays to overpay in some circumstances obviously.
    Barnes for sure and Bogut I would think and maybe a role player or two

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,355 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

but you will never get value for a top 5 guy they god **** all for harden. What if they play this year and come close again with westbrook and oladipo perhaps they end up fitting together better. stephen adams has started to look like a really good player and they have cap to get whoever they want thats left. Do they really have to trade him or do you just think they lakers will get him for russell and randel

I think they will absolutely trade him, yes. That they ****ed up the Harden trade at the time is of no consequence. Keeping him makes the rebuilding process harder when he walks at he end of the year. And he will.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Vienna Big Saliva

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I think they will absolutely trade him, yes. That they ****ed up the Harden trade at the time is of no consequence. Keeping him makes the rebuilding process harder when he walks at he end of the year. And he will.

how can you know he will most people "knew" kd was staying

NufcNavan wrote: »
    I would just love to hear one coherent argument as to why this is anything but awful for the league. One of the best players in the league just joined the team that was the best team of the last two years. The Thunder are completely gone. The league was already extremely top heavy.

Really makes me respect what the Pacers accomplished from 2012-2014 the old fashioned way.

It doesn't speak well for someone's competitive desire when they lose a close 7 game series to a team, then join the team they lost to instead of trying to beat them again. Doesn't really have anything to do with Bird or Magic, especially considering that Durant already played with one of the best players in the league. It's not like he didn't have help.

This has to be virtually unprecedented. Way beyond what Lebron did because Lebron went to a new team that hadn't had success in several years. He immediately owned their identity. Durant will never have that kind of identity in GS because they easily could have won it without him.

I largely agree, but one way it is good - and this is a very limited perspective - is that GS will be the hottest sports ticket in the NBA next year. They will be simply phenomenal to watch in full tilt. All team 3 point records are likely breakable next year, as is team FT%; but these are for the nerdiest of nerds like myself.

It's also been a long time since there's been 3 20PPG player on one team. Last I can remember was Seattle with Dale Ellis, Xavier McDaniel and Tom Chambers. There'll be some high scoring games that's for sure.....

I largely agree, but one way it is good - and this is a very limited perspective - is that GS will be the hottest sports ticket in the NBA next year. They will be simply phenomenal to watch in full tilt. All team 3 point records are likely breakable next year, as is team FT%; but these are for the nerdiest of nerds like myself.

It's also been a long time since there's been 3 20PPG player on one team. Last I can remember was Seattle with Dale Ellis, Xavier McDaniel and Tom Chambers. There'll be some high scoring games that's for sure.....

Look at it this way. The Heat had some insane talent. However, they went four straight years without winning a playoff series after winning the 06 title (i.e. they started sucking once Shaq fell off). Yes Bosh was a talented player, but he also never made it past the first round in Toronto. All I'm saying is that even though Miami had a massive talent edge, Lebron was still going to a franchise that hadn't accomplished much over the previous few seasons. He was the cornerstone of a new team that was trying to soar to new heights.

With Durant going to GS, he's going to a team that won a title in 2015, then set the all time winning record and made the Finals again in 2016....i.e. Pretty much the most successful team over the last two seasons. Sure they could win the title with Durant, but they could also win it without him. Miami wasn't winning any title without Lebron. It is an insanely lame decision for Durant considering his Thunder had the Warriors dead to rights.

I know I know, his decision, his life, etc. But it's a sports forum for sports commentary. I think it would be pretty much the lamest FA decision in league history.

how can you know he will most people "knew" kd was staying

I'd happily make a wager that he isn't at the Thunder to start the 2017 / 18 season. He'll go somewhere else to try and win along with getting paid. It's ****ing Oklahoma City don't forget. If you ain't winning titles no need to be there.

• Advertisement

Like you can agree it's a good move from KD's perspective and lament the competitive ramifications of the decision. They aren't mutually exclusive positions.

Like you can agree it's a good move from KD's perspective and lament the competitive ramifications of the decision. They aren't mutually exclusive positions.

I understand that. I wouldn't have begrudged KD making this decision this time next year tbh. Thought he owed OKC another year considering how close they had gotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I agree it's a pity really as it was shaping up as a season with a few contenders but the Thunder are not a contender now and the Warriors now have to be prohibitive favourites for the title. Only thing that can stop them is injuries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I understand that. I wouldn't have begrudged KD making this decision this time next year tbh. Thought he owed OKC another year considering how close they had gotten.

He owes OKC nothing. They should have won a ring in the period he's been there and I'd firmly blame the top brass. Scott Brooks got way way way too long there.

SantryRed wrote: »
    He owes OKC nothing. They should have won a ring in the period he's been there and I'd firmly blame the top brass. Scott Brooks got way way way too long there.

That's also true. But let's not pretend that KD was this big player on a struggling franchise that had no help. They came very very close to beating GSW and who know what would have happened in the finals then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Pau Gasol to the Spurs confirmed.. 2 year deal

Warriors trade Bogut to the Mavericks

I'm not surprised Gasol went to the Spurs. Smart player and a great fit with that franchise.

I am quite surprised Bogut was ditched though. He's a much bigger part of that team than his numbers indicate. I honestly don't think that would have happened had he not gotten injured in the finals and they won.

The mavs have made a max offer to Barnes so no way GS will match that now that they have Durant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Mavericks and Harrison Barnes agree to a 4 year $94 deal

Look at it this way. The Heat had some insane talent. However, they went four straight years without winning a playoff series after winning the 06 title (i.e. they started sucking once Shaq fell off). Yes Bosh was a talented player, but he also never made it past the first round in Toronto. All I'm saying is that even though Miami had a massive talent edge, Lebron was still going to a franchise that hadn't accomplished much over the previous few seasons. He was the cornerstone of a new team that was trying to soar to new heights.

With Durant going to GS, he's going to a team that won a title in 2015, then set the all time winning record and made the Finals again in 2016....i.e. Pretty much the most successful team over the last two seasons. Sure they could win the title with Durant, but they could also win it without him. Miami wasn't winning any title without Lebron. It is an insanely lame decision for Durant considering his Thunder had the Warriors dead to rights.

I know I know, his decision, his life, etc. But it's a sports forum for sports commentary. I think it would be pretty much the lamest FA decision in league history.

Wasn't disagreeing with you btw, it's the easy decision one level, but the hardest on another. Imagine the expectation on him there now though? Anything other than a title next year is failure.

Some positives for him....his minutes will be better managed and he'll not have to work anywhere near as hard for shots as he did in the 2v5 OKC offence. I haven't checked but from memory GS have led the league in team assists for the last 2 years (maybe even 3?) so he's going to get a LOT of wide open looks.

The core 4 (Curry, Draymond, Klay and KD) will all be under 28 when the season starts. They have 4 All NBA players and 2 of the last 3 league MVPs on that team. It's actually crazy how loaded they are.

Mavericks and Harrison Barnes agree to a 4 year $94 deal

That's more than twice (and a bit) Curry's current 4 year deal. I know he'll get his next year but still........

• Advertisement

CmiFO21WEAA_sDC?format=pjpg&name=large

:o

Pau to Spurs for 2 / 30. Good fit there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 344 ✭✭Kobe248

We will all see whos laughing when Lakers get Westbrook

Me thats who :D

I'm not surprised Gasol went to the Spurs. Smart player and a great fit with that franchise.

I am quite surprised Bogut was ditched though. He's a much bigger part of that team than his numbers indicate. I honestly don't think that would have happened had he not gotten injured in the finals and they won.

The mavs have made a max offer to Barnes so no way GS will match that now that they have Durant.

Yea, I agree to a certain extent but the reality is he always seemed to get some kind of injury and with age not being on his side it's probably the best choice. I love Bogut but nothing last forever, they must be placing a lot of faith in Festus now.
    Barnes is an absolute gent of a man and was a nice fit but no way would I match that contract

Bogut and Festus are gone. They can't keep both of them + Durant et al.

Expect the Warriors to stuff the rest of their roster with vets on the minimum. David West will likely be heading to the Bay Area. Left a ton of money on the table to chase a ring in San Antonio last year.

Bogut and Festus are gone. They can't keep both of them + Durant et al.

Expect the Warriors to stuff the rest of their roster with vets on the minimum. David West will likely be heading to the Bay Area. Left a ton of money on the table to chase a ring in San Antonio last year.

Bogut has gone to Dallas, do you have a link for the Festus trade ?

I saw it mentioned somewhere on twitter that they are going to get rid of him. I'll have a look

https://twitter.com/MarcJSpearsESPN/status/749996993779421184

Hard to see them getting rid of both Festus and Bogut. They need some size, they'll have to keep one of them or else recruit. Given how very few people saw them landing KD, you never know what they have lined up.

I saw it mentioned somewhere on twitter that they are going to get rid of him. I'll have a look

https://twitter.com/MarcJSpearsESPN/status/749996993779421184

Yea, did a little bit of research and it definitely seems like it could happen, would leave them with varajeo and speights, I really thought they would kept Festus, another case of wait and see I guess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

CmiFO21WEAA_sDC?format=pjpg&name=large

:o

A lot can change in 6 years.

Hell, Steph Curry was just getting started, and then was injury-riddled for the next 1-2 years.

Advertisement