Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rural isolation

• 27-06-2016 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Ok I live in rural Ireland and i certainly dont view it as conservative or backward as i have in the past, but it's still quite isolating IMO.

I was wondering has anyone an example of something that has been started in a rural town to bring lgbt in an area together.

I'm sure the cities have examples but anything in a small/medium sized town.

I'd love to hear if such a thing exists or has existed in a rural area

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Yes

There are lgbt groups all over rural ireland; in Mayo, Wexford, Donegal, Wicklow, Kerry Tipperary. In kerry for example they had youth lgbt pride, they had an lgbt calendar of local lgbt people in scenic settings and they did community bowling with the local gardai, in mayo they organised tea dances for older people, in Monaghan they used to have a swimming group, in outwest they have organised cruise on the shannon.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I know I was shocked to learn that the town I grew up in (arse end of Kildare) now has an LGBT group. :eek:

I'd say a lot of the local Yes Equality groups might have morphed into something in towns around the country?

Look on Facebook, I'd say 90% of local groups organise there.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭wehuntmonsters

Completely isolating in Cavan. They have a group 30 km away and it is quite inactive and too male dominant for me. BeLongTo only seem to operate in big towns or cities which is a pity because I think the really rural folk need the support more.

Advertisement